PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Why not just withdraw your application now? Or are you waiting to see if you made the cut? Either way, I hope you turn them down fast to help those on the waitlist...

Well, so far Pitt is the only one that has responded and I do want to have options. If anything goes wrong with Pitt and Wisconsin said yes, I am likely to opt for their program. Anyways, I will turn them down as soon as I can to help people in the waitlist.

It is 99% sure that I will be going to Pittsburgh, but you never know.

Reynaldo

The past 2 years Northwestern seems to have emailed most of its accepted students on Valentine's Day. They may think it's cute or something. But yeah, keep your fingers crossed tomorrow, and try not to piss off your significant other by paying more attention to your inbox than her. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is either cheating on me by now (I can't blame her) or planning to kill me (again, totally justifiable). The worst part of it is that I don't care, I just want to get accepted somewhere that I want to go (how selfish is that?).

Anyways, good luck.

Actually I am a woman... and I'm sure my husband won't mind competing for my attention with my gmail for a day ;) I know how you feel- I haven't gotten any acceptances or rejections yet and I am getting antsy! Good luck to you also.

Little old me would kill for USC and I know most of you big shots are looking for UChicago etc, sorry I cant help there;)

Little old me would kill for an acceptance from Southeast Central Idaho A&M Tech right now. I really wish we didn't have to wait so long for UCR, I know it's probably near the bottom of your list and it started out near the bottom of mine, but the more I look into their program, the more I like it.

Actually I am a woman... and I'm sure my husband won't mind competing for my attention with my gmail for a day ;) I know how you feel- I haven't gotten any acceptances or rejections yet and I am getting antsy! Good luck to you also.

Sorry, every time I see an -o I think male and -a I think female.

The past 2 years Northwestern seems to have emailed most of its accepted students on Valentine's Day. They may think it's cute or something. But yeah, keep your fingers crossed tomorrow, and try not to piss off your significant other by paying more attention to your inbox than her. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is either cheating on me by now (I can't blame her) or planning to kill me (again, totally justifiable). The worst part of it is that I don't care, I just want to get accepted somewhere that I want to go (how selfish is that?).

Anyways, good luck.

5/5

Anyways, good luck.

I received a phone message today from a Prof at Northwestern who wanted to talk about my app. I haven't been able to get in touch with him. No word on whether this was an admit call or an interview call or a "we hated your application so much we want to call you and just laugh" call, but it was a call nonetheless. No email though. I've been hitting reload like crazy both on this thread and on the results page to see if anybody else has had a similar experience or has been accepted, but no dice. (Also of note: I checked my online app page, where it says that when a decision has been made a link will appear to take you to your doom or glory, and there was no link, hence no decision, at least none put online).

I received a phone message today from a Prof at Northwestern who wanted to talk about my app. I haven't been able to get in touch with him. No word on whether this was an admit call or an interview call or a "we hated your application so much we want to call you and just laugh" call, but it was a call nonetheless. No email though. I've been hitting reload like crazy both on this thread and on the results page to see if anybody else has had a similar experience or has been accepted, but no dice. (Also of note: I checked my online app page, where it says that when a decision has been made a link will appear to take you to your doom or glory, and there was no link, hence no decision, at least none put online).

Oh wow- I would assume this is good news- I highly doubt they would call you if you didn't have a chance of being accepted! But, that's just my highly un-scientific opinion. Now you've added voicemail to the list of things I must check religiously, haha. Best of luck.

(Also of note: I checked my online app page, where it says that when a decision has been made a link will appear to take you to your doom or glory, and there was no link, hence no decision, at least none put online).

"Doom or glory." I like that. :D

A professor isn't going to bother calling you unless your application is being seriously considered.

Congrats, I'm pretty sure that means you're going to be accepted. I saw that the past few years almost everybody got an email on the 14th, but that a few people got calls on the 13th. Anyways, I'm pretty sure they didn't call you to tell you how much they hated your application. I also don't think they interview, so I would say they were calling to notify you that you've been accepted.

"Doom or glory." I like that. :D

A professor isn't going to bother calling you unless your application is being seriously considered.

Yeah, I figured as much. Which is shocking to me--I didn't think I had a very heavy stone's throw of a chance at NW. I think I'm going to wear out the reload button on this site.

Little old me would kill for an acceptance from Southeast Central Idaho A&M Tech right now.

Hahahahaha.

I like you. And I feel the same way.

Now, ultimately, one of the big problems I had with my application list is that nothing felt like a safety school. This could be because I am coming out of Criminal Justice, and thus my actual Political Science background is weak enough that I almost anticipated 100% rejections. But the things I researched in my field overlapped pretty well with a lot of schools, so I thought that would help. I guess it helped enough to at least get me into one M.A. program, but I would definitely prefer that sweet Ph.D. invitation at "Insignificant University of State Everyone Forgot Existed." Or perhaps "Jethro's Reliable University and BBQ." But it would have been nice to have any place that seemed like a sure bet.

Hahahahaha.

I like you. And I feel the same way.

Now, ultimately, one of the big problems I had with my application list is that nothing felt like a safety school. This could be because I am coming out of Criminal Justice, and thus my actual Political Science background is weak enough that I almost anticipated 100% rejections. But the things I researched in my field overlapped pretty well with a lot of schools, so I thought that would help. I guess it helped enough to at least get me into one M.A. program, but I would definitely prefer that sweet Ph.D. invitation at "Insignificant University of State Everyone Forgot Existed." Or perhaps "Jethro's Reliable University and BBQ." But it would have been nice to have any place that seemed like a sure bet.

Thanks. I actually was a CJ major in college also, but I have a law degree and I focused my upper level coursework on issues heavily related to poli sci. My grades sucked and I transferred 3 times in undergrad, each time to a lower ranked school. My GRE scores are ok (not happy with the verbal, but my quant was good), which helps a little. My LORs are great, but none of them are from poli sci professors. The only response I've received so far has been a rejection, which makes me think I'm not going to be accepted anywhere. I blew all of the money I had saved up traveling for the past 7 months in the Middle East, rather than take the bar exam in the summer and get a job. I don't really have a back up plan, unless you count moving to AC and playing poker for a living a plan. I'm supposed to be taking the bar exam soon, but I haven't started studying yet. So yeah, Jethro's Reliable University and BBQ sounds great to me, even if my stipend is paid in ribs and sweet tea.

Oh, you just summed up my entire train of thinking right now. I feel like 100% rejection is coming my way... Ahhhhh!

I should have applied to that Jethro school...

Well, I am glad we can all agree that Jethro's Reliable University and BBQ's application responses cannot possibly come soon enough.

Do not completely psyche yourself out, though. It does not sound like many people really end up with 100% rejections--you must have thought there was something good enough about your application to make yourself competitive!

Thanks. I actually was a CJ major in college also, but I have a law degree and I focused my upper level coursework on issues heavily related to poli sci. My grades sucked and I transferred 3 times in undergrad, each time to a lower ranked school. My GRE scores are ok (not happy with the verbal, but my quant was good), which helps a little. My LORs are great, but none of them are from poli sci professors. The only response I've received so far has been a rejection, which makes me think I'm not going to be accepted anywhere. I blew all of the money I had saved up traveling for the past 7 months in the Middle East, rather than take the bar exam in the summer and get a job. I don't really have a back up plan, unless you count moving to AC and playing poker for a living a plan. I'm supposed to be taking the bar exam soon, but I haven't started studying yet. So yeah, Jethro's Reliable University and BBQ sounds great to me, even if my stipend is paid in ribs and sweet tea.

Sounds actually a bit like my undergraduate work, except I was in English, transferred to a much higher ranked school (despite relatively unimpressive grades; still not sure how that one worked), and did not really figure out what I was doing until my Criminal Justice master's degree. I even considered law school before going for my master's instead.

As for the application process, my first response was a rejection, too. But then I got that kinda-acceptance, so do not give up hope! Playing poker for a living is an even better plan than the ribs-and-sweet-tea stipend. There was a point in my life when I probably would have considered taking that funding package. I would probably still take "sweet tea and a slight tuition reduction."

Btw for anyone who has lost sleep or part of his sanity over NYU this past 24 hours or so, the director said that its not yet finished. Guess its not over till the fat lady sings. Quick sing damnit!

Right--its the ole', "Thank God it's not over . . . end already!"

FYI: Chicago will be making decisions soon. I am nervous.

Edit: Also, I never understood the incentive to make false posts. Who gets off on that?

How soon do you think they will be up? Chicago is an AMAZING program for my interests; I would breath easier knowing that I had at least been accepted by them... maybe. hopefully, pleeeeeaaaase (lol, but not really...) :D

How soon do you think they will be up? Chicago is an AMAZING program for my interests; I would breath easier knowing that I had at least been accepted by them... maybe. hopefully, pleeeeeaaaase (lol, but not really...) :D

I truly have no idea. I got the sense that it would be by the end of next week, but that is my own take on it; I don't know for sure, and it could very well be longer than that. Sorry I can't help more, I just don't know. If I find out any more, I'll post here. Your are not alone. Chicago is a great program and extremely competitive. Good luck.

quote]

I truly have no idea. I got the sense that it would be by the end of next week, but that is my own take on it; I don't know for sure, and it could very well be longer than that. Sorry I can't help more, I just don't know. If I find out any more, I'll post here. Your are not alone. Chicago is a great program and extremely competitive. Good luck.

chicago is one of the premier poli sci programs, no doubt. apparently they got 500 applications this year and will probably only accept 50 or so for an incoming class of 15-20, so yeah, uber competitive.

should i withdraw my application from a school i am now no longer considering (given the offers i have already been made)? it seems only fair to the other applicants, but i'm having a hard time drafting the email in a way that doesn't sound like, "see you lataz suckas!" of course, i suppose i don't need to give a reason.

from a purely selfish perspective, i would want to see if i am admitted and perhaps visit the school for the purposes of networking and learning more about the program--i might not accept a grad school offer there, given my other choices, but i would certainly accept a job someday--and most programs do have a waiting list, official or otherwise. but my ethical gut is telling me just to withdraw and save the committee the time of reading my 35-page writing sample as well as give some other dude/chick who really wants to go there a better shot.