PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

to any of the people in at berkeley - did you get a big mass email? just curious - the department said they were still in the process of notifying admittees and would be so for a few more days, though i highly doubt this is the case...i would assume places email all admittees at once.

Yeah, they're all about the mass email. I'm a little concerned about financial aid at Berkeley - upon rereading the website, it talks all about paying tuition and getting an out of state waiver after the first year. If I don't have a tuition waiver and a stipend, I simply cannot go.

As for my stats, I have a 3.2 undergrad (from a top school), 4.0 grad in public admin. My GRE was pretty strong, 790m, 710 verbal, 6 writing. I think most of all, grad school helped me knock down nice recommendations (which I haven't read) and develop research interests. Plus it helped me get a good internship last summer.

It's official, rejected at Illinois. I was a bad fit at their program anyways, but seeing as how they were one of my lower middle/safety schools, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in anywhere. Well I guess it's time to grow up and actually start using my law degree, blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

If you were a bad fit, it's probable that your rejection reflects that. I personally don't think people should apply anywhere where they don't have a solid faculty match.

If you were a bad fit, it's probable that your rejection reflects that. I personally don't think people should apply anywhere where they don't have a solid faculty match.

I agree with that assessment as well. I did get accepted to UIUC and the Dept. Head wrote to me and basically said that my background in arms control/nonproliferation research matched up perfectly with the needs and expertise of the IR faculty in the dept. So I think that they were being very precise in who they were looking for...

I agree with that assessment as well. I did get accepted to UIUC and the Dept. Head wrote to me and basically said that my background in arms control/nonproliferation research matched up perfectly with the needs and expertise of the IR faculty in the dept. So I think that they were being very precise in who they were looking for...

Thanks, that actually makes me feel a little bit better. Ilinois was one of those schools with one professor kind of doing the research I would like to do, and the rest of the department no where near my interests. Still, it's hard not to take it personally, and even harder not to freak out when you get rejected so early on from a school you thought you would at least be competitive at.

By the way, congrats on the Illinois acceptance (and also the big time recruiting class for the Tide).

Thanks, that actually makes me feel a little bit better. Ilinois was one of those schools with one professor kind of doing the research I would like to do, and the rest of the department no where near my interests. Still, it's hard not to take it personally, and even harder not to freak out when you get rejected so early on from a school you thought you would at least be competitive at.

By the way, congrats on the Illinois acceptance (and also the big time recruiting class for the Tide).

Thanks, and THANKS (Saban is starting to earn that $4million salary we are paying him)

only one prof doing research in your area of interest? yeah, that will explain it. you'll have much better odds at places ranked higher than illinois if they have a few profs whose research mirrors your own. don't get too freaked out by the whole "i got rejected by a school i thought i'd probably get into" thing. rank and competitiveness matters, sure, but i think faculty research interests corresponding to your own matter even more.

Hey all,

When you all reference "checking the website", do you mean the browser where you submitted your application? When you have been rejected or accepted, does the application status change from "date submitted" to "rejected" or "accepted"?

Thus far, I have just been checking and re-checking this part of the application, but if there is some unearthed space for obsessive app status checking, please clue me in!

Thanks!

All apps are political science ph.d

USC ---waiting

UCSB---waiting

UCR---waiting

Washington State---waiting

UMASS-Amherst---waiting

Uof Hawaii --- waiting

and it continues....

anyone heard back from any of these schools yet?

USC ---waiting

UCSB---waiting

UCR---waiting

UMASS-Amherst---waiting

Uof Hawaii --- waiting

and it continues....

You are the only other person I know who has applied to UCR. Did you by any chance get that letter they sent out to people who took the GRE and are interested in Poli Sci? After getting the letter, I checked out their website and ended up really liking what I saw. The assistant at UCR told me that they don't usually make decisions until March when I called before turning in my application, so I'm not holding my breath waiting to hear back from them. I didn't apply to any of the other schools on your list (I wish UCSB had professors in my area of interest).

Good luck

No I didnt get that letter. I talked to the office lady and she said march/april decisions should be out. They did call me about 3 weeks ago and asked me to fill out an optional like financial aid form. I havent heard anything from anywhere else yet.

i have the same question as crazypoligirl. when you say you found out from the website, did you receive an email to go and check or did you just log in to the same system where you submitted your application? i'm particularly curious about yale applicants. thanks!

eve2008 said:
i have the same question as crazypoligirl. when you say you found out from the website, did you receive an email to go and check or did you just log in to the same system where you submitted your application? i'm particularly curious about yale applicants. thanks!

The only one I checked online was OSU's. They have an application status page. I didn't receive an e-mail, I simply checked on my own.

WashU also has a website to check your status at. They say they will e-mail you when you status has changed.

Yale's office of Graduate Studies sent an email message saying "An admission decision has been made on your application. Please use the following pin (same as was used to apply) to check the website, because your status has been changed" or something to that effect...

thanks guys! I am still waiting to hear back from all of my programs; I swear my nerves are killing me!

BTW, did anyone else apply to Stony Brook? I submitted my application, and sent a couple of emails inquiring about the status of my supplemental materials and they just never replied. NOT COOL, especially when I have to pay the application fee despite their lack of organizational skills!

I called and asked.

UCSB is still working on it and the lady said the latest we should hear from them is around mid-March. You can check your status on-line.

Washington States is also working on it, should have results in two weeks time. It'll be coming via snail mail.

UMass-Amherst is just getting started and it's likely that they won't get back until March.

That's all I know for now.

Hope that helps.

USC ---waiting

UCSB---waiting

UCR---waiting

UMASS-Amherst---waiting

Uof Hawaii --- waiting

and it continues....

For anyone who is interested, which seems to be no-one so far, but better safe than sorry, I am the guy who was offered an M.A. at the University of Kansas after applying to the Ph.D. program. Could have been worse, and I will totally do it if nothing else pans out. Or, potentially, even if something else does pan out, since the University of Kansas is way more awesome than I ever would have thought when analyzing the word "Kansas" earlier in life. I am a little concerned that they just want my money and would never dream of letting me continue on to the Ph.D., but worst case scenario it would still give me a solid degree with which to try this whole thing all over again in a couple of years.

This thread has also given me some modicum of hope about the Ohio State University, since my status on the application there is still the same as the day I finished it. They could always do rejections in waves, though, so, there is that.

Otherwise, I have only heard from Yale (rejection, no surprise there) so far. Plenty of other applications to go! C'mon, mailman!

Count me in as another person who does not know why you would apply somewhere with no research overlaps. That was basically the only way I ever winnowed down the final list, by cutting out programs that did not have at least two (and ideally three or more) people on staff who would likely be interested in my research.