PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

"Checked the website" could mean a few different things. Some schools, when you apply, send confirmation emails with a link to a place where you can obsessively check your status. You'll usually have been given a PIN and a password that you need in order to access the site. Other schools have general grad school status check websites. These usually require the same user name and password that you used when you applied. Yet other schools will send you an email after you have been accepted/rejected telling you to click on a specific link that will lead you to a page with their decision.

Oh, and I too applied to Stony Brook. When you applied, they sent you an email with a PIN. Go to the grad school admissions site and there will be a link to check your status. Use this PIN and the password you chose back when you applied and it will take you to your personal page. So far, all mine tells me is that my application is complete.

"Checked the website" could mean a few different things. Some schools, when you apply, send confirmation emails with a link to a place where you can obsessively check your status. You'll usually have been given a PIN and a password that you need in order to access the site. Other schools have general grad school status check websites. These usually require the same user name and password that you used when you applied. Yet other schools will send you an email after you have been accepted/rejected telling you to click on a specific link that will lead you to a page with their decision.

Oh, and I too applied to Stony Brook. When you applied, they sent you an email with a PIN. Go to the grad school admissions site and there will be a link to check your status. Use this PIN and the password you chose back when you applied and it will take you to your personal page. So far, all mine tells me is that my application is complete.

thanks so much, that was really helpful! Oh, and I am realizing I never received a PIN Code, just an email thanking me for my application. Doesn't sound promising. I am trying to figure out how much I want to pursue it because, at this point, Stony Brook's program is not even on my radar. I was excited... now :| ...not so much.

I never received a PIN code from Stony Brook either! What grad school admissions site are you talking about?

Cause if I go here: http://www.grad.sunysb.edu/index.shtml and I select "Application", it sends me back into the applyyourself system, and there's nothing there about my application being complete or incomplete, it just says that it has been submitted.

Now I realize that I haven't even received the "thank you for your application" email, I only received the payment confirmation.

Should I.. start worrying?

I see two more people received acceptances from Yale, congrats~ What are your stats? I have yet to hear back from them... (insert anxious stomach grumble)

i think not hearing back from them might be a good sign...though it looks like they might be doing both admits and rejections in waves.

i'm also waiting on yale, and yes, they seem to be slowly winnowing the pool, handing out rejections and acceptances. i have heard that all decisions should be posted in the next several days. maybe they're going by subfield? the waiting is brutal!! also, has anyone on this board applied to harvard gov?

Notified of acceptance to the University of Pittsburgh (Comparative Politics) by email from a professor on feb. 5th and followed up by a letter from the director of graduate studies. I'm an international student and got my B.LL (Bahelor of Laws) in Mexico but I will graduate from the M.A. in Latin American Studies from San Diego State University in May. I was told that I had guaranteed funding for 4 years but I don't know the details yet.

I'm very excited because Pitt is great for comparative politics with emphasis on latin american politics!!!

Still waiting responses from Georgetown, WashU, Wisconsin-Madison, Texas-Austin, and Johns Hopkins.

I heard that Gtown, and JHU take way to loong (early to mid-March) for the decisions and Wisconsin should be out any time.

My stats:

GRE Q:750 V:580 AW:4.0 (sucked!), SDSU GPA: 3.86 (12 classes, all A's or A-, not a single B+), poli sci GPA: 3.88; languages: spanish and portuguese, worked for the Mexican government for 3 years after law school, have worked as research assistant in an environmental policy project at SDSU since i started the masters. Undergrad GPA from lawschool sucked big time, 7.34 on a 10 scale... I don't think they payed too much attention to that!!!

Good luck to you all ond don't get bummed if you get rejected!!! Keep up the good spirits!!! :D

I never received a PIN code from Stony Brook either! What grad school admissions site are you talking about?

Cause if I go here: http://www.grad.sunysb.edu/index.shtml and I select "Application", it sends me back into the applyyourself system, and there's nothing there about my application being complete or incomplete, it just says that it has been submitted.

Now I realize that I haven't even received the "thank you for your application" email, I only received the payment confirmation.

Should I.. start worrying?

"Submitted" is equivalent to complete with this system. If you were missing anything, there would be a big glaring warning box, and they would have contacted you personally. I know, because I was originally missing a few things.

crazypoligirl: you had to have been given a PIN or else you could not have completed the application. If you still have it, check the email they sent you when you set up your account. The email is titled "online account information". Midway down the page it will list your PIN, though even then, you need to remember the password that you set. If you can't find your info, the tech support link is http://app.applyyourself.com/AYContactHelpDesk/TechSupport.asp?packageType=Application%20for%20Admission&ca=SUNYSB-GS&p=373N782KV

If you have applications at any other schools that use the "apply yourself" system, then your PIN and password are the same for those programs.

I've been reading this board while freaking out over school and thought I would post. I got into the PhD program at Brandeis yesterday (email) and I'm very excited. I got rejected by UVA last week (which made me feel like I would not get in anywhere since it was the first place I heard back from) and I'm still waiting on Princeton, Texas, BC and Johns Hopkins. Good luck to everyone!

I've been reading this board while freaking out over school and thought I would post. I got into the PhD program at Brandeis yesterday (email) and I'm very excited. I got rejected by UVA last week (which made me feel like I would not get in anywhere since it was the first place I heard back from) and I'm still waiting on Princeton, Texas, BC and Johns Hopkins. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on Brandeis!

We'll probably start hearing from Texas in early March. They're slow. I don't know about the rest of your schools, though.

congrats! i applied to hopkins as well and i don't think we'll be hearing from them until early march.

By the way, I know everyone must be feeling this to some degree, but I am extremely tired of waiting. Every day I wake up with the hope of hearing something, and, when it doesn't happen, my soul is crushed. I'd like to hear from everyone on the same day, then I could just get it over with. One school, in particular, has historically admitted people next week, but I keep thinking that I may hear this week (good or bad, of course)--In my heart I know I am deluding myself.

The waiting is terrible and I can understand the feeling that you won't get in anywhere but don't let that take over. I started to get really down last week then got good news yesterday. And we still have a few weeks to wait on most places! (which is awful). Good luck to all!

I tell you what though. UIUC was perhaps my last place choice of the schools that I applied to, but they have been great so far. I have had three different professors write to me and say how glad they are that I was accepted and how much they hope I come to school there in the fall. They even pointed out things in my app. that impressed them and subjects that I indicated that I wanted to focus on and how good of a fit UIUC is. Their interest is going to make Illinois very difficult to turn down...

I tell you what though. UIUC was perhaps my last place choice of the schools that I applied to, but they have been great so far. I have had three different professors write to me and say how glad they are that I was accepted and how much they hope I come to school there in the fall. They even pointed out things in my app. that impressed them and subjects that I indicated that I wanted to focus on and how good of a fit UIUC is. Their interest is going to make Illinois very difficult to turn down...

Yeah, I'm getting the same from UNC. TAMU, on the other hand....well, no one's bothered to contact me yet. :lol: