PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Yeah, no change there either. It still says "pending."

Hey all. I applied to Wisconsin too. Still no change for me- I think that person who claims to be accepted on the results page must already be a student at Wisconsin- that is really the only way I could see finding out so early. (I have a friend in an MA program at U Minn, he is applying for PhD programs in communication, and the dept. chair let him know personally that he was in a couple of weeks before the actual decisions went out.) It seems unlikely that no one else would have heard from them by now if someone got accepted on Friday under other circumstances. Aghhh. I am really hoping to get in there.

Hey all. I applied to Wisconsin too. Still no change for me- I think that person who claims to be accepted on the results page must already be a student at Wisconsin- that is really the only way I could see finding out so early. (I have a friend in an MA program at U Minn, he is applying for PhD programs in communication, and the dept. chair let him know personally that he was in a couple of weeks before the actual decisions went out.) It seems unlikely that no one else would have heard from them by now if someone got accepted on Friday under other circumstances. Aghhh. I am really hoping to get in there.

Or it could just be a lie, right?

Someone also posted an acceptance via the UW wesbite, but I checked my application and it says it is still being reviewed by the department.

The Graduate School might be swamped with acceptances/rejections and maye they slowly responding or updating the status.

In any case, I'm not going to Madison even if accepted so, good luck to you all!!! :wink:

Somebody posted this on the results page:

New York University (NYU) Political Science, PhD Rejected via E-mail on 11 Feb 2008 Contact within the department let me know I did not make the "admit short list"

What do you think this means? Private contact?

Or did someone else receive an email?

It means that he/she had spoken with someone in the department and emailed him/her to find out their status. The professorial contact informed the individual that she/he was rejected.

Thanks for this perfect answer to a very dumb question! :)

Man, can I tell you how many times a day I hit refresh on my email, or how many times a minute for that matter. Doesn't help that I really dislike my job and can't wait to get the hell out of here...

I'm right there with you. With one acceptance already under by belt, every day I'm tempted to just walk into the office, release two pigs: one with a number "1" on its back and the other with a number "3" on its back, and never go back. I'm just telling myself that the job is helping me to pad my eventual stipend.

hi crazypoligirl. i'm sorry about your rejection from yale. where else are you waiting to hear and what is your first choice?

these are crazy, tiring, exhilarating, frustrating, exciting times. there's a school whose application i'd happily withdraw because i already got into some of my top choices, and yet somehow if i get rejected, i'd still take it kind of hard. silly, no?

speaking of yale, i still haven't heard. i'm not sure why the rejections/acceptances keep trickling out as they do...does this mean you received an email to check your status today?

Congrats on NYU, that is AWESOME news.

Just got this from Cornell,

Dear Applicants,

I want to thank you for your interest in Cornell's graduate program in Government. We appreciate receiving your application and will carefully read each and every one of the more than 350 which we received this year.

I also want to give you some information about our time-line for decisions. We anticipate making decisions in the last week of February or perhaps the first week of March. I realize that some other schools are already making decisions, and hopefully in future years we too will be making them at about this time, but for this year I ask your patience in waiting a few more weeks to hear from us.

Again, thanks for your interest in our program, and best of luck with *all* your applications!

Regards,

- Christopher Way

Director of Graduate Studies

congrats to NYU people. I was going to apply there, but then I saw they wanted a 35 page writing sample. I don't know how you people mustered that together.

Thanks everybody!

About the writing sample.. well.. mine only had 20 pages! But I guess it was ok in the end..

congrats to NYU people. I was going to apply there, but then I saw they wanted a 35 page writing sample. I don't know how you people mustered that together.

Wow, I sort of wish I had applied there now, just so I could have used more of my thesis! It was hard figuring out what part(s) of those 200 pages to use for my writing sample, particularly since most schools only want 10-15 pages.

I suppose applying to Ph.D. programs out of a bachelor's degree leaves you in a much more confusing place as to how to present/produce big writing samples. I never would have imagined anything over about 15 pages being possible at that point in my life, really.

eve2008 said:
hi crazypoligirl. i'm sorry about your rejection from yale. where else are you waiting to hear and what is your first choice?

these are crazy, tiring, exhilarating, frustrating, exciting times. there's a school whose application i'd happily withdraw because i already got into some of my top choices, and yet somehow if i get rejected, i'd still take it kind of hard. silly, no?

speaking of yale, i still haven't heard. i'm not sure why the rejections/acceptances keep trickling out as they do...does this mean you received an email to check your status today?

Hey eve2008,

Yes, I received the email letting me know that a decision had been made. My theory about why it is taking so long is that maybe it is an issue of manpower. I noticed that there was a personalized header...that takes some time, no?

I applied to 11 programs in all, but my top three choices are WashU, Columbia and UChicago....

Basically, my fingers are crossed and my stomach in knots!!!