PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Pretty sweet this deal. I get to pay cash money to be anxious and dejected. Not too mention that I cannot even work on my MA thesis while this is going on. Just one, that's all, just one.

I can't imagine working on my MA thesis and studying for comps last year while having to deal with this process to. Ouch.

Did you hear this from someone in admissions or is this just speculation?

(I don't mean to be annoying....im just so anxious.....so far all I've gotten is one rejection from Yale!!)

I'm a student in the program. They will finalize decisions this week. You will hear next week if you are admitted. Good luck.

i'm thinking the chicago post was fake. if they did indeed make decisions a week ago, i don't know why they'd take so long to email them out. i suspect there's a good chance they're going out in the postal service (even though last yr they went out in email)

in any case, chicago is a mysterious place i do not understand

damn, at least you have heard from someone. i am 0/6. has anyone contacted harvard or princeton? from the past it looks like acceptances would be late this week or anytime next week?

Princeton is pretty likely to be March 6 or 7 again this year. Harvard I think will take at least until the end of next week, if not closer to Princeton's date.

alright this is pretty random, but i'm just gonna put it out there anyway: i'm have a really hard time working today. seriously, i can't focus at all--worse than on other days. sometimes i really feel like a recovering addict, and PDN (Potential Decision Notification) is my ever-compelling drug of choice. i'm jonesing for it. and today is a really, really bad day. i can't stop hitting the refresh button on my email. i even hit the refresh button on the refreshed page to make sure that an email didnt slip through the cracks within the last 3 seconds. i compulsively pull my cell phone out of my purse to make sure the phone didn't arbitrarily decide to turn its own ringer off, or fail to notify me of a missed call during that 2 minute bathroom break i took a little while ago. next time i may just bring the phone with me to the bathroom--although i know i'll just check it obsessively while peeing anyway, and that's not really all that cool. or hygenic.

i just need it, man. i really need it right now.

alright this is pretty random, but i'm just gonna put it out there anyway: i'm have a really hard time working today. seriously, i can't focus at all--worse than on other days. sometimes i really feel like a recovering addict, and PDN (Potential Decision Notification) is my ever-compelling drug of choice. i'm jonesing for it. and today is a really, really bad day. i can't stop hitting the refresh button on my email. i even hit the refresh button on the refreshed page to make sure that an email didnt slip through the cracks within the last 3 seconds. i compulsively pull my cell phone out of my purse to make sure the phone didn't arbitrarily decide to turn its own ringer off, or fail to notify me of a missed call during that 2 minute bathroom break i took a little while ago. next time i may just bring the phone with me to the bathroom--although i know i'll just check it obsessively while peeing anyway, and that's not really all that cool. or hygenic.

Someone who feels exactly like me!!! It's been nine days since I got my last "fix" and it was a bad one. All I need is one good "fix" and then I'll return to normal - that's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Someone who feels exactly like me!!! It's been nine days since I got my last "fix" and it was a bad one. All I need is one good "fix" and then I'll return to normal - that's what I keep telling myself anyway.

it doesn't get better, i'm 3/4 with 8 to hear from and i'm still a junkie

i feel you, i really do. i haven't heard anything since i got dinged by UCLA and Stanford within an hour of each other back on the ill-fated morning of Feb. 6. that was a downer day. i didnt want to touch the stuff for a long time after that--but now i spend my days praying, hoping, and refreshing my screen. there HAS to be a good hit somewhere in the future for us!

i'm thinking the chicago post was fake. if they did indeed make decisions a week ago, i don't know why they'd take so long to email them out. i suspect there's a good chance they're going out in the postal service (even though last yr they went out in email)

in any case, chicago is a mysterious place i do not understand

anyone call the dept. in chicago to see if all admits were emailed? i emailed them, but haven't heard anything back yet. from what a friend told me, they were pretty prompt last year...he emailed them the day after a lot of posts were up about admits getting emails, and they told him w/in a few hours that he didn't make the cut.

Here's a new topic:

Has anyone been accepted to a very prestigious school and or program, and would consider going, even though there is not really even one professor who matches up really well as a potential thesis supervisor?

Are there people saying to themselves: "Oh whatever, its freakin X University, it'll be fine!"

Conversely, are there people turning down a very top tier school since there is a better fit with an advisor somewhere else.

I am not in this/these situations as I only applied to schools where there is a good fit. But if I am so lucky to be admitted, I will visit, and perhaps based on personal contact I will find myself in this conundrum.

Thoughts, polsci people?

I found myself in this situation when figuring out which schools to apply to. I really, really wanted to go to WashU. Great program, wonderful professors, St. Louis is within driving distance of both mine and my wife's family. The catch, not a single professor doing anything even close to my field - IR/Security Studies. Seriously considered applying anyway.

anyone call the dept. in chicago to see if all admits were emailed? i emailed them, but haven't heard anything back yet. from what a friend told me, they were pretty prompt last year...he emailed them the day after a lot of posts were up about admits getting emails, and they told him w/in a few hours that he didn't make the cut.

I called the department earlier in the week. I was told decisions had been made and should would go out this week. I cannot say whether the past was a fake because I did not post it; i hope it was a fake. My guess is that more people would hear from UofC than one person. That is, I think it notifies all of its admits in one day and leaves everyone else to languish in silence.

Here's a new topic:

Has anyone been accepted to a very prestigious school and or program, and would consider going, even though there is not really even one professor who matches up really well as a potential thesis supervisor?

Are there people saying to themselves: "Oh whatever, its freakin X University, it'll be fine!"

Conversely, are there people turning down a very top tier school since there is a better fit with an advisor somewhere else.

I am not in this/these situations as I only applied to schools where there is a good fit. But if I am so lucky to be admitted, I will visit, and perhaps based on personal contact I will find myself in this conundrum.

Thoughts, polsci people?

hmm. i'm not in this situation, but i could see myself going to not the best fit because of geography- where my husband has more potential jobs/where we would most like to live. the school that i think i would be the best fit at is actually not some place that was our top choice of moving to... that could be a factor if i was accepted to more than one place. however... i doubt i will have to confront this dilemma!

Canadianpolsci wrote:

Here's a new topic:

Thoughts, polsci people?

If accepted to Gtown, WUSTL, Johns Hopkins, or Texas-Austin I will definitely be in that situation. They would really have to come up with a big offer for me to turn Pitt down. Being accepted by Pittsburgh was pretty big for me because even though it is not so much a "prestigious name" poli sci program it is VERY sotrong in what I am doing: Comparative Politics with Latin American foucs. The Latin American Studies Association (LASA) headquarters are in the university and they have tons of resources (grants, summer fellowships, library collection, etc...) for research on Latin American politics.

In addition, the faculty i met seemed really interested on having me in their program. Another plus is the environment of the department which is very friendly as opposed to, for example, Texas where I've been told there has been some stabbed-in-the-back incidents.

All in all, I might ditch a more "prestigious" school in favor of the U of Pittsburgh and I don't think that will affect me at all.

Reynaldo

I absolutely agree with you. This whole process is like being addicted to drugs! The last high I got a week ago is wearing off--I need another fix!

Who wants to be brave enough to call and ask about decisions status at Chicago and/or Texas? Any takers?

I took up the challenge regarding Texas. The word I get is that the responses will not go out this week. The hope is that they will go out next week, but it could be the week after that. The woman I spoke to (believe it was Meagan Mulligan) sounded a little flustered that it is taking awhile. She stated that the decisions have been made (as we already knew) but that she was waiting on the go ahead from higher ups.

Heard good news from UW-Seattle today---so thrilled--helped me recover from a hard-to-take rejection yesterday.

The email was relatively personalized, which makes me believe they're going to be sending them out on a rolling basis (it was from a member on the Admissions committee who was interested personally in the research project) so if you haven't heard yet, I wouldn't worry. I think it may take a few days to get these out if they're personalized....

Good luck to all!

I took up the challenge regarding Texas. The word I get is that the responses will not go out this week. The hope is that they will go out next week, but it could be the week after that. The woman I spoke to (believe it was Meagan Mulligan) sounded a little flustered that it is taking awhile. She stated that the decisions have been made (as we already knew) but that she was waiting on the go ahead from higher ups.

You are a brave soul. I guess that is good. Thanks for the info!

Heard good news from UW-Seattle today---so thrilled--helped me recover from a hard-to-take rejection yesterday.

The email was relatively personalized, which makes me believe they're going to be sending them out on a rolling basis (it was from a member on the Admissions committee who was interested personally in the research project) so if you haven't heard yet, I wouldn't worry. I think it may take a few days to get these out if they're personalized....

Good luck to all!

Thanks for this, haven't heard anything yet and am getting very nervous...

it does seem odd that there's only one result from chicago posted so far, considering the fact that many of us applied (considering the stellar programs some folks have already gotten in, i'd be a little surprised if none of us got into chicago) and that they did a mass email to accepted students last year. maybe they aren't mass emailing this year. maybe they are and none of us got in. or maybe the post is a fake...and why would anyone post a fake? seems like a really stupid thing to do. so...has anyone called chicago yet?