PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

For the sake of random speculation and killing time, anyone want to place bets on when Michigan sends out waitlists and rejections. It looks like they are running later than last year, but who knows when.

Perhaps next year I'll be a grad school bookie, taking bets on the over/under for dates of notifications (although fake posts could ruin the integrity of the system). Still, it might make this process a bit more interesting.

I think you've hit on a great source of additional income. I think we've already proved that we're all obsessive enough that we'd engage in betting on notification dates.

As for when Michigan decides to send out notifications, who knows. Have they sent out all their acceptances already? I'm near the point of not really even caring whether they accept me or not. I just want to hear from all my schools so I can start deciding where I want to go.

For the sake of random speculation and killing time, anyone want to place bets on when Michigan sends out waitlists and rejections. It looks like they are running later than last year, but who knows when.

Perhaps next year I'll be a grad school bookie, taking bets on the over/under for dates of notifications (although fake posts could ruin the integrity of the system). Still, it might make this process a bit more interesting.

Cheers,

How about a predictions market where you take a cut on each share bought? Set up shop in Ireland with Intrade, or claim it's for "research" purposes like the Iowa market and get approval to run it without having to deal with SEC regulations.

Someone just told me about this site and I'm hoping people can provide some insights...

Any clues?

I've been accepted to UC Davis and UCSD. I only applied to the former as I knew I'd get in (the DGS wrote one of my recommendations as he liked me when I did my undergrad there). I've been rejected by UT Austin, WashU, and Yale. Firstly, does it make sense to get into UCSD but not Texas? Also, I see that people have heard rejections from Chicago and NYU. I still have not heard from those schools or Harvard. What does that mean? I'm not expecting too much at this point, but this whole process bewilders me. I'll be more than happy with UCSD, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

The same for Chicago and NYU. They have notified those admitted already, but maybe waiting to see how many

of them decline before sending out final rejection letters. UCLA it seems, is sending out rejections in small

batches. The wait is killing me...

Those of us who got Chicago rejections (I am pretty sure I speak for everyone in that group, but could be wrong) either called or e-mailed Kathy Anderson- they have made decisions and can give you the info by phone or e-mail. That being said, I am pretty sure letters will be coming next week, since Ms. Anderson told me they were put in the mail last week. I think they have notified all their admits. I could be wrong, though. Any Chicago admits on the board that want to correct me if I am wrong?

Those of us who got Chicago rejections (I am pretty sure I speak for everyone in that group, but could be wrong) either called or e-mailed Kathy Anderson- they have made decisions and can give you the info by phone or e-mail. That being said, I am pretty sure letters will be coming next week, since Ms. Anderson told me they were put in the mail last week. I think they have notified all their admits. I could be wrong, though. Any Chicago admits on the board that want to correct me if I am wrong?

Do you know if chicago will by default be sending email rejections along with the postal rejection?

... what should I do? ...

All rejections and 3 more to go...

any suggestions...

Well, you might as well contact the places that rejected you and ask what was lacking about your application. If it is something more easily fixable (GRE, statement of purpose) then that is nice, but if it is something else, you might have to figure out a new path. Some people give taking more graduate courses in the subject as a student-at-large a shot; it can show your continuing efforts to excel in the field, give you new potential writers for letters of recommendation, and maybe give you some more impressive grades to show off. Of course, some other people also think that this is not liable to help. This probably means that it will help you with some programs, and not at all with others.

Of course, you also might still get accepted from one of those last three places, so first try staying hopeful!

Good GRE's?

650v/780Q/5.5AWA

93%/90%/88%

I was aiming to a PhD in Econ, but I was convinced to go this route. I know that others have better but where should these place me in the world of Poli-Sci?

lenin333,

First, you have great GRE scores. I can say with little to no reservation that they had no bearing on your rejections. I really think another component of your application must have been missing something. Also, from looking at the schools you were rejected from, you applied to some really competitive places. I have a feeling you will get into NSSR, but I can tell you a bit about that place if you would like (I know a few people who went there).

I know this is my first post, but I had to say that i empathize with you. I am getting ready to apply for PhD programs for the third time this fall. My first time was right out of undergrad at the cajoling of an undergraduate professor with unrealistic expectations for me at the time. I went through one of the most humbling experiences of my life as the rejections trickled in (except one school without funding that will remain nameless). I decided to take a different path and ended up reapplying to a professional program (public policy) and received a full ride. At the end of my second year, I reapplied to PhD programs in political science and programs in public policy. My GRE scores at the time were much lower than yours (1300 combined) and I was accepted at Indiana and Florida State. Although I loved FSU, some family issues arose and I was forced to decline.

Now, I have been working for the Mayor's Office in NYC since the fall and I am once again determined to finally take the PhD plunge (3rd times a charm...i hope). I'm not sure how your situation will end this year, but I'm sure that if things don't work out, you can exponentially increase your chances of acceptance to a great program with some polishing of your research interests and maybe your writing sample (if needed).

Finally, it's a ridiculously competitive process. Last year FSU told me they had 100+ applicants for 10 spots. I can only imagine how many the "elite" schools receive.

Rejected from Michigan. This was posted on wolverine access

The Graduate Admissions Committee wants to thank you for applying for graduate study in the Political Science department. We regret to inform you that the Graduate Admissions Committee is unable to recommend you for admission as a graduate student this fall.

This year, the Department was only able to accept a small number of applicants. There are many excellent students whom we have been unable to accommodate.

We appreciate your interest in our Department and extend our best wishes for the future.

Rejected from Michigan. This was posted on wolverine access

The Graduate Admissions Committee wants to thank you for applying for graduate study in the Political Science department. We regret to inform you that the Graduate Admissions Committee is unable to recommend you for admission as a graduate student this fall.

This year, the Department was only able to accept a small number of applicants. There are many excellent students whom we have been unable to accommodate.

We appreciate your interest in our Department and extend our best wishes for the future.

Ditto... Shortest, least sympathetic rejection note ever!

Re: Gre scores...do you all think 1320/6.0 good enough for top 15 programs with an otherwise excellent application?

This is just my impression...I think that 1320 combined is a little on the low side, although it would help to know how it breaks out between verbal and quantitative. 6.0 AW is excellent. Of course, high GRE scores alone aren't enough to get you into a top school.

Good GRE's?

650v/780Q/5.5AWA

93%/90%/88%

I was aiming to a PhD in Econ, but I was convinced to go this route. I know that others have better but where should these place me in the world of Poli-Sci?

The verbal score is a touch low, just a touch. 680 would be fine, 700 just fine. The quant score. is great. I don't think your GREs hurt you. They were not the issue.