So If I haven't gotten an interview yet...

Crystalizedjade

I'm an extremely impatient person ;) hehe, and I don't know much about the application process because I'm international. I heard that if I dont' hear back from most schools for an interview request by mid to end of February then I'm probably not getting into that school. Now, if that is so, why don't they just reject me the second they send out all the interviews? Is it possible for me to get into a school without an interview? Or do they have rounds of interviews, like the most outstanding candidates are interviewed first then later on they'll send more requests? I'd much rather know now that I'm rejected than have to wait till march/april if they already sent out interview requests.

Help an ignorant international applicant please! :)

I'm an extremely impatient person ;) hehe, and I don't know much about the application process because I'm international. I heard that if I dont' hear back from most schools for an interview request by mid to end of February then I'm probably not getting into that school. Now, if that is so, why don't they just reject me the second they send out all the interviews? Is it possible for me to get into a school without an interview? Or do they have rounds of interviews, like the most outstanding candidates are interviewed first then later on they'll send more requests? I'd much rather know now that I'm rejected than have to wait till march/april if they already sent out interview requests.

Help an ignorant international applicant please! :)

You read my mind! I'm a domestic applicant and I'm still confused on this one. My only acceptance so far is to a school I'd had a semi-informal meet-and-greet with all the way back in November. Any thoughts by those who have been accepted by more schools than I have (i.e. more than one, haha).

You read my mind! I'm a domestic applicant and I'm still confused on this one. My only acceptance so far is to a school I'd had a semi-informal meet-and-greet with all the way back in November. Any thoughts by those who have been accepted by more schools than I have (i.e. more than one, haha).

LOL! I thought domestic applicants would know more about the process :P

*sighs*

Guess we are all in the same boat!

I'm a domestic applicant, so I'm not sure how everything works with international applicants. This is my second round applying, and I haven't heard anything yet either. Basically at this point (early Feb) it's not great news that you haven't heard anything, but it isn't horrible (yet) either. It is still early. Most programs will send out interview invites by the end of this month. However, just because you weren't invited for an interview doesn't mean you are necessarily rejected, you could be waitlisted (some programs will notify you about this, others won't).

Also, because you are an international applicant, you might not be sent interview invites because the department cannot afford to pay to fly you out to their campus. But like I said, I'm not sure how this works.

As far as your other questions, some programs send out some rejections early, whereas others wait until late March/early April and mail all the rejections at once (I got two letters in late April last year, even though I knew I was rejected back in early March). It is possible to be accepted without an interview (some programs don't have interviews at all). Honestly, and I know you are probably tired of hearing this, each program does things differently so there isn't a set answer to your questions, sorry, but I hope this helps a little.

I'm a domestic applicant, so I'm not sure how everything works with international applicants. This is my second round applying, and I haven't heard anything yet either. Basically at this point (early Feb) it's not great news that you haven't heard anything, but it isn't horrible (yet) either. It is still early. Most programs will send out interview invites by the end of this month. However, just because you weren't invited for an interview doesn't mean you are necessarily rejected, you could be waitlisted (some programs will notify you about this, others won't).

Also, because you are an international applicant, you might not be sent interview invites because the department cannot afford to pay to fly you out to their campus. But like I said, I'm not sure how this works.

As far as your other questions, some programs send out some rejections early, whereas others wait until late March/early April and mail all the rejections at once (I got two letters in late April last year, even though I knew I was rejected back in early March). It is possible to be accepted without an interview (some programs don't have interviews at all). Honestly, and I know you are probably tired of hearing this, each program does things differently so there isn't a set answer to your questions, sorry, but I hope this helps a little.

Well, I've gotten 3 interviews so far (phone interviews). So I guess I'm semi-safe? Argh.

Not necessarily. My advisor had been wait listed (unknowingly) at the program where he did his PhD--they called him on April 14th and said essentially, "someone dropped out and we want you, you in?" He said yes and the rest is history. Yes, it would be better news for you if you had been getting interview requests, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get in anywhere. Plus, there have been a bunch of "denied after interview" posts on the results page lately, so there's no guarantee about anything.

I don't think it is really bad at all unless you only applied to the top 50 programs. I applied to 7 schools and only 2 have finished reviewing applications. This site really breeds more angst in applicants than it does to comfort us.

I don't think it is really bad at all unless you only applied to the top 50 programs. I applied to 7 schools and only 2 have finished reviewing applications. This site really breeds more angst in applicants than it does to comfort us.

I worry about deadlines more. Like, if the deadline was Dec. 1 and you haven't heard from them yet...that's probably a bad thing (even if the school isn't top 50).

I worry about deadlines more. Like, if the deadline was Dec. 1 and you haven't heard from them yet...that's probably a bad thing (even if the school isn't top 50).

Still it isn't something that you need to let get you down. A&M's deadline was December 15th and they still haven't sent out interview invitations.

Still it isn't something that you need to let get you down. A&M's deadline was December 15th and they still haven't sent out interview invitations.

I really hope so. I had an amazing interview at Notre Dame and the POI really wanted me and pushed. At the last second his funding got cut so I got rejected. I've lost hope in the system, lol. I know BU sent out CLINICAL interview stuff in late January. I applied to the biology brain and behavior thing. So I dunno what that means. I've essentially given up. If I get good news, great. If not, at least I'm mentally preparing myself to go to the states and repeat my MA and improve my chances for a PhD program :)

I don't know if you are all applying for a PhD, but there is a forum that has threads of interview dates, acceptance dates and schools that have already rejected. In the first post is an updated list separated by clinical, school, counseling, etc.

Also, there is a MA, MSW forum under the general psychology forum as well.

For PhD, PsyD programs the link is: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=57

For MA programs the link is: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=207 (it doesnt have a full list like the PhD/PsyD program forum but you can search your school)

I am starting to get a bit nervous as well. I have applied to five programs and have heard nothing yet. I do know that one of them (the only PhD program I applied to) has already had interviews but I am still anxiously awaiting news from the other four.. blink.gif