Fall 2018 Performance Studies PhD

DirectorsCoffee

@Quotidian Ah yeah, that one email I got I wasn't quite sure if I should expect to hear back around the 8th, or not until after... I'm painfully impatient. 

I applied for the PhD - as I've just finished my MA from Roehampton.

I can't stand to wait for TISCH anymore. I have a few pending offers so I know I am safe, but the uncertainty is killing me. In a way, I am pretty positive that I won't be accepted due to the fact that only 4 applicants are usually offered admission each year. The numbers are against most of us, especially when you're an international applicant with a master's degree from a different program. The thing is that I totally rewrote my statement in order to demonstrate my fit to the Performance Studies program, and am very curious as to the faculty's response to my ideas. 

What makes for a strong applicant to this program? Do people without a Master's degree in PS stand a chance? 

Cheers and good luck everyone!

Just received a (very kind) unofficial rejection from UMass. Not gonna lie; this sucks. I just want to know where I'm going to be this time next year, if anywhere. 

UC Berkeley | CU Boulder (no funding) | Brown | Florida State | Yale | UMass Amherst | UMD 

Got 3 rejections in 24 hours. The personalized emails made it seem as if I was a formidable candidate for many of them, though. (By the way, if you haven't heard from Brown yet you should reach out because she was surprised I hadn't heard. I'm sorry to say it's probably a no for you.) Not sure if their compliments about my application makes things better or worse for my bruised ego right now. Anybody apply for UMD? 

I just got my rejection from Stanford today. So that leaves me to hear from UC Davis and NYU's PS MA program. Did anyone in this group apply to Pratt's P+PS program? So far that is the only program that I've been accepted into, and luckily received a scholarship. So I will probably go there if I can figure it out financially. I'm also curious to hear where people are going! 

Just stopping by to say congrats to all who've received/accepted offers this season.  It's interesting reviewing these threads and seeing the acceptance/rejection patterns.  Som eof the trends aren't surprising (Brown), but some of the others are pretty surprising (The person that wasn't offered by Ohio State but was offered by UMD and others).

I'd also like to offer a word of support for those who did not receive the news they'd hoped for.  My top choice last season was Tufts, by FAR.  The admission deadline was January 15th, and I received my rejection letter on January 17th.  The next two decisions I received were rejection letters from my #2, #3, and #4 schools.  It made for an incredibly depressing Spring semester and sent my thesis writing into a dark place.  Ultimately, after the rest of my 15+ (yeah... I know...) decisions came through, along with funding offers and such, I was able to narrow my options down to three schools that were never truly considered for my Top 10.

It was roughly a year ago that I accepted the offer here at Illinois (over offers from Ohio State and Emerson), and I could not be happier with how it worked out.  I absolutely love the faculty, campus, town, and my colleagues. The people here have helped shape my research in a way I never would have considered without their input and guidance.  It has evolved from something I was treating as a means to an end into something about which I am extremely passionate.  I had struggled with finding a way to make my project more contemporary and timely (aka trendy/attractive) for conferences, journals, and PhD admissions. I feel like that has been achieved tenfold.

Though I still intend to apply to other universities to continue my work towards a PhD, I would never be disappointed to stay here at UIUC for it.

So basically, keep an open mind about whatever your situation ends up becoming.  I know my situation isn't entirely unique, and I hope many of you find the experience to turn out as wonderfully as I feel it has for me.

@Gamb1t thank you so much for the words of encouragement. You are at an amazing school, with Deke Weaver, my favorite and lots of great stuff with animal studies. I am so jealous! Anyway, really appreciate you circling back around and sharing your experience. I am ending up at the NYU MA program I think, so we'll see how it goes. 

Has anyone been updated by U of I at Urbana-Champaign for the program of Theatre Studies?
My application is for the MA degree, but I haven't heard anything.
Thanks! Good luck for everyone here.

• 9 months later...