Oh, I didn't mean within the discipline. I meant outside of it. Consider how much emphasis is placed on sciences and mathematics in terms of funding, scholarships, and available fellowships. Consider the emphasis placed on those areas by the government. You don't hear the president(s) standing up at the State of the Union address to say that the United States has to be more competitive in hermeneutics and literary theory. When a university is pooling applications for university wide funding and the science/math majors have already been chosen, it would seem that they get the first crack at the really meaty offers. My brother in law is at UC Davis doing biochemistry (AIDS research). He's got a ridiculous $35k stipend, summer funding, tuition remission, the works. The most I've heard of in English so far was $24k. So, while we recognize that folks in other professions need our discipline in order to learn how to publish and present their research (someone has to teach them how to write, yes?), it's low on the totem pole socially for importance. Right up there with getting a degree in art, though we know differently.

And thanks for the sympathy. She's really a Grade A instructor, author, and director (of documentary film). I was her RA for her first monograph. So I'm really shocked she was denied. Another good reality check.

~ m

I might be overly optimistic, but I have a feeling that all that is going to change at some point. With so many specializations out there, I think that SOMEONE will finally realize that funding is important for more than the sciences (not that it's not important for the sciences, mind you...). Liberal Arts have always been the cornerstone of western education, ever since the middle ages (as us medievalists know) - the term was even coined in the Paris University, sometime in the 13th century, I think (I read that somewhere not long ago). With the explosion of mass communication, writing and rhetoric well will become more and more important, even for sciences and social sciences, causing a rise in English / Writing requirements. After all, if you are a brilliant scientist, but no one can understand your paper, how on earth are you going to get additional funding for your research??

I do know what you mean, however, and as stated before, I really hope it will change. I think it's a shame that we're losing our grip on the liberal arts in general - since those are the arts that help us, as humans, analyze, formulate arguments, write, and enter discussions in a community of thinkers. I'm seriously hoping that our star will rise again!

I might be overly optimistic, but I have a feeling that all that is going to change at some point. With so many specializations out there, I think that SOMEONE will finally realize that funding is important for more than the sciences (not that it's not important for the sciences, mind you...). Liberal Arts have always been the cornerstone of western education, ever since the middle ages (as us medievalists know) - the term was even coined in the Paris University, sometime in the 13th century, I think (I read that somewhere not long ago). With the explosion of mass communication, writing and rhetoric well will become more and more important, even for sciences and social sciences, causing a rise in English / Writing requirements. After all, if you are a brilliant scientist, but no one can understand your paper, how on earth are you going to get additional funding for your research??

I do know what you mean, however, and as stated before, I really hope it will change. I think it's a shame that we're losing our grip on the liberal arts in general - since those are the arts that help us, as humans, analyze, formulate arguments, write, and enter discussions in a community of thinkers. I'm seriously hoping that our star will rise again!

Amen. Maybe that's up to all the wicked smart folks on these threads. We're the future of the profession (hopefully). It's my hope that we find a way to bridge the gap between academia and society, to bring the impactful nature of the work we do to a wider audience. There are some academics whose books are incredibly popular (Stephen Greenblatt comes to mind). I'd like to see more approachable work of this nature. Perhaps then the value of what we do will be more widely recognized. Here's hoping at least.

~ m

Amen. Maybe that's up to all the wicked smart folks on these threads. We're the future of the profession (hopefully). It's my hope that we find a way to bridge the gap between academia and society, to bring the impactful nature of the work we do to a wider audience. There are some academics whose books are incredibly popular (Stephen Greenblatt comes to mind). I'd like to see more approachable work of this nature. Perhaps then the value of what we do will be more widely recognized. Here's hoping at least.

~ m

Harold Bloom's Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human was a HUGE bestseller.

Things like that give me a lot of hope.

I'd already written Cornell off but I just got an email from their Graduate Programs Coordinator notifying me of admission, with an invitation to visit at a time of my choice at their expense. I'm not sure why there was such a long delay between the first two acceptances and this next round, but good luck to everyone still waiting!

I'd already written Cornell off but I just got an email from their Graduate Programs Coordinator notifying me of admission, with an invitation to visit at a time of my choice at their expense. I'm not sure why there was such a long delay between the first two acceptances and this next round, but good luck to everyone still waiting!

Popstitute, your admissions record this round is out of control impressive! I want to read your writing sample just to see what kind/caliber of writing gets people accepted into damn near all of the top programs in the country. At any rate, congratulations!!!

Thanks callmelilyb! I'm actually completely floored and don't know quite how to respond to all the really enthusiastic and wonderful faculty members who are reaching out to me from each school. I am not going to be able to visit all of them, and am slightly worried about how they will feel if I end up rejecting the offer without meeting them in person. My academic history is rather odd and twisted, as are my interdisciplinary research interests. I think the protean character of my interests worked in my favor somewhat, since different departments picked up different aspects of my statement of purpose. I suspect that this allowed me to evade the problem of "departmental math" somewhat.

I would be happy to share my writing with you ... PM me and we can talk more :)

Thanks callmelilyb! I'm actually completely floored and don't know quite how to respond to all the really enthusiastic and wonderful faculty members who are reaching out to me from each school. I am not going to be able to visit all of them, and am slightly worried about how they will feel if I end up rejecting the offer without meeting them in person. My academic history is rather odd and twisted, as are my interdisciplinary research interests. I think the protean character of my interests worked in my favor somewhat, since different departments picked up different aspects of my statement of purpose. I suspect that this allowed me to evade the problem of "departmental math" somewhat.

I would be happy to share my writing with you ... PM me and we can talk more smile.gif

popstitute, I'd be very interested to read your SoP, as well. I suspect this is one of the weak areas of my app package.

~ m

I would be happy to share my writing with you ... PM me and we can talk more :)

You are SO giving me hope for next year, having a mish-mash of interests myself!! (also have twisted academic history, including two moves and a major change from Theater to English) Your SOP probably rules....

Are any of the Cornell admits willing to share details (funding, your scores, your subfocus, etc.)? I counted 8 admits on the results thread. The Cornell English page says they typically take 12. It's probably fair to say that all 12 are not on these boards. I'm assuming this is a rejection on my end. Just curious what kind of contact you might have had with the department and anything else you might be willing to share. Thanks.

~ m

Are any of the Cornell admits willing to share details (funding, your scores, your subfocus, etc.)? I counted 8 admits on the results thread. The Cornell English page says they typically take 12. It's probably fair to say that all 12 are not on these boards. I'm assuming this is a rejection on my end. Just curious what kind of contact you might have had with the department and anything else you might be willing to share. Thanks.

~ m

My numbers, unfortunately, won't reveal anything. I've been rejected twice before (yep, that was my post) with nearly identical "stats"--higher ones, in fact, than what I applied with this year. It's the writing sample, SoP, and letters that really make the difference.

I think Cornell is aiming for a cohort of 12? (strange, I recall 15 from past years...I'm guessing that they're retrenching?). They'll definitely make more than 12 offers. Typically, most programs (even at the top) will make at twice as many offers as they have spots, since most of their acceptees will have offers from peer universities. In past years, Cornell made all of their offers on the same day (waitlistees aside). I'm not sure what was up with the earlier 2 notices. I'm guessing (complete speculation here) that someone was aiming for comp lit, but didn't quite finish? Cornell offers the same package to everyone (or so the acceptance letter claim), so I can't imagine that they contacted people for a "special fellowship" or whatnot in advance, as some programs do.

In any case, good luck with the rest of your list.

Anyone have any idea what this means for those of us crazy enough to apply to the MFA/PhD joint program?

I'm wondering about this too. It appears that those of us who applied to the joint program have not been contacted? Can someone confirm or deny that? Has anyone on the boards who applied to the joint MFA/PhD program at Cornell been contacted, or are all the current contacts for the straight PhD alone? Thank you.

~ m

I'm just a PhD candidate, but I still haven't heard a word from Cornell. Anyone in the same boat?

I was but I called the dept and found out my fate. All the decisions for the phd candidates have been made. Not sure about the joint mfa/phd applicants.

• 11 months later...

who applied for cornell this year [F11]? [for english] I've heard nothing though they said mid-late feb... am assuming the obvious :unsure::rolleyes:

Hey, I applied. Judging from when acceptances went out last year I think they will be notifying at the end of this week! and there is a waitlist, I believe. Don't start worrying yet. Good luck!

who applied for cornell this year [F11]? [for english] I've heard nothing though they said mid-late feb... am assuming the obvious :unsure::rolleyes:

I applied, too. No need to fret until you get the skinny envelope.