I'm wondering because when I applied it sent the "we don't list application status on the system--we'll e-mail you mid-January if we're missing anything" and now I'm worried. Of course, right? I sent everything in, but never got an e-mail, but also discovered they weren't exactly on top of their stuff last year.

So, is anyone else nervous? Am I being crazy?

Probably crazy. Thanks!

I applied to Cornell, but as all my stuff went with the online application I wasn't worried. They haven't contacted me and I didn't even consider that there was a problem. But what's this about them not being on top of stuff last year?

I applied there also and also submitted everything electronically. I did have to contact them in mid-November to make sure my transcripts with my maiden name had been matched up, and I got the same email about them contacting me in mid-January if they were missing anything. I haven't heard a peep since, so it's on them if they need something. Maybe that's too trusting? I'm expecting a reject from them anyway. It was more of a swinging for the fences try ;)

~ m

@MP: The dream indeed. And then there's that whole living on or around Manhattan thing cool.gif . My faculty advisors and favorite prof were push, push, pushing me to apply there. I'm also too timid to contact them. The one time I did contact them it was like getting my wrist slapped. Maybe that should tell us something? I hope actually being a grad student there wouldn't have a similar tone.

~ m

I'm also too timid to contact them. The one time I did contact them it was like getting my wrist slapped. Maybe that should tell us something? I hope actually being a grad student there wouldn't have a similar tone.

I'm just going to trust that everything is there- I can understand that they probably get loads of people asking and get tetchy. I'm trying to be confident about my application chances. I applied to two programs (well, I listed one as 'second consideration' on my app anyway), so that widens the net a little. There's also that massive bribe I gave them. Oh wait, that was only the application fee...

I also applied there. Got the email saying that they would contact me in mid-January if any of my application materials were missing, didn't get an email in mid-January, assumed that meant that none of my application materials were missing.

Also assuming I'll be rejected.

Hey, maybe we can throw a "We were all rejected from Cornell" party?

@MP: The dream indeed. And then there's that whole living on or around Manhattan thing cool.gif . My faculty advisors and favorite prof were push, push, pushing me to apply there. I'm also too timid to contact them. The one time I did contact them it was like getting my wrist slapped. Maybe that should tell us something? I hope actually being a grad student there wouldn't have a similar tone.

~ m

Cornell is nowhere near Manhattan? Unless 5 hours = near to you.

Edited by gken4

I can let you know from experience that if something is missing from your Cornell app, they will let you know. They hadn't received a copy of my official transcript from my undergrad and asked me to send it again (my school sent out sealed official transcripts itself directly to other institutions). Cornell was also really accommodating and allowed me to send an unofficial transcript so that my application could be processed more quickly. Also, don't take whatever "tetchyness" you experienced as representative of the program -- the whole department is eminently laid-back and understanding. Good luck to all of you!

I applied to their MFA/PhD (MFA creative writing and PhD in literature), and I haven't heard anything. I don't think I have much chance of getting in - and I'm definitely applying there again next year, but I wouldn't worry about hearing from them. From Cornell, specifically, my motto is "no news, good news." They probably got all my stuff, and are now laughing their asses off at my presumption :lol:

And so the acceptances begin... :blink:

hooooooooooooooooly shit - I just checked. That's two notifications of acceptance from schools i've applied to today. why oh why don't they send me the reject letter and put me out of my misery already???

Oh...totally how I feel about damn near every school I applied to.

Yup. Yup. Yup. especially since I was so ill prepared this year.

I am curious about the MFA/PhD track, specifically what kind of people they consider for it. I feel that my credentials (e.g. both scholarly and creative publications, editorial experience, research awards, etc.) make me a strong contender against otherwise narrow and high standards, but I also recognize that my degrees (BA + MA) from public schools (my undergrad English program isn't even given a numbered rank by US News & World Report) are a severe handicap when it comes to such an elite, Ivy league program. Cornell was a frivolous application for me, but again, I'm quite curious as to the qualities of those chosen for the MFA/PhD program.

I'm not completely sure, but when I was researching the program it seemed to imply that when you apply to the MFA/PhD program, it's basically submitting two applications. The MFA committee with look at certain aspects of your application, and the PhD committee will look at others. As far as I could tell, they don't actually communicate during that time, so you would be held to whatever criteria each committee makes for its applicants. In the end you could be accepted to the MFA only, the PhD only, or both programs. I don't think there's anything special about the process, and it's simply the fact that, if accepted to both, you could pursue an MFA and a PhD without switching schools in between.

I am curious about the MFA/PhD track, specifically what kind of people they consider for it. I feel that my credentials (e.g. both scholarly and creative publications, editorial experience, research awards, etc.) make me a strong contender against otherwise narrow and high standards, but I also recognize that my degrees (BA + MA) from public schools (my undergrad English program isn't even given a numbered rank by US News & World Report) are a severe handicap when it comes to such an elite, Ivy league program. Cornell was a frivolous application for me, but again, I'm quite curious as to the qualities of those chosen for the MFA/PhD program.

I applied to the MFA / PhD - and it's basically like applying to two different degrees (only you don't have to send out two applications). As Kam wrote above me, you can get in to the MFA, or the PhD, or both, or none. I'm assuming that the MFA considers mostly your creative writing sample, while the PhD considers your academic writing sample (and that both take LORs and SOPs into account quite heavily).

My undergrad is the same - it was a great program, and I had really stellar scholars as profs, but I've never seen them listed anywhere in the rankings. I should probably look :). Which is why I was so hell bent on getting good GREs and am now mainly concerned with acing the subject GRE in April - it can show that despite 9 years out of a school and an unranked UG, I can still kick-ass in the Lit department. LORs from my stellar scholar profs helps too.

Since I don't really expect to get in this year, I know i'm applying to Cornell again next year - same program - they have a few profs I would REALLY enjoy working with.

I guess all we can do is wait, right? :)

I also guess that ultimately the process is so subjective and arbitrary (as a professor once admitted to me), we can talk about it until we're blue in the face and it still could come down to whether or not someone "gets" our poetry or finds our research interests valid.