Academia in the movies

jon cocktoe

The character of Dr. Temperance Brennan (on TV) is based off a character in Kathy Reichs' books, which is based off her own life as a forensic anthropologist. Although there is a HUGE difference between the books and shows, it was actually written by an academic. As a funny aside, in the show Dr. Brennan is also a famous author and her "fictional" character is called Kathy Reichs. Sorry - I watch way too much Bones. I went through the whole series this winter. unsure.gif

Lol, me too! How's the book compared to the TV show (i.e. which is better)? To be honest, I can't imagine anything better than seeing Dr. Brennan playing with a baby and saying: "Dancing phalanges!"

This is interesting.. How about Numb3rs.. .

The character Charlie Epps is a professor who helps solve crimes for the FBI using mathematical explanations and logics.

I tried so much to like that show, but the math and econ they use are so rudimentary and.. just out of place that I can't stand it.

And I never saw it, but I recall Mona Lisa Smile being about women in college..

Edited by qazwerty

Old School

Accepted

Scrubs (technically they're still in med school)

also, as an engineer who dabbled a bit in physics I rather enjoy the Big Bang Theory, it's delightfully awkward.

I've worked in a number of professions over the years, and fin that most people have little grasp on any profession they themselves don't do. Moreover, many are quick to make assumptions about other professions with only a caricature-level understanding. Movies/TV both reflect and perpetuate this.

There's a scary Ronald Reagan quote that I used in a paper and I love to repeat: “It is the motion picture that shows us not only how we look and sound, but - more important - how we feel.”

It's a scary thought that a majority of the population not only have their decisions made on how themselves and others look and sound, but also have their own feelings determined for them... especially when it comes from a man who was the president of the Screen Actor's Guild during the Red Scare and unabashedly testified against actors he believed were communist sympathizers.

Everything Nicholas Cage has ever been in has been terrible, with the exception of Raising Arizona and Adaptation. Just my opinion.

Especially Captain Corelli's Mandolin, where his Italian accent sounded like a drunk at a party imitating an Italian.

Everything Nicholas Cage has ever been in has been terrible, with the exception of Raising Arizona and Adaptation. Just my opinion.

I think Bad Lieutenant, The Weather Man, and Lord of War were decent movies. To some extent, even Matchstick Men was OK.

Regarding the topic, A Serious Man is a good movie. Another B movie remotely close to academia was Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

Edited by mathamathick

I can't believe no one has mentioned "The Skulls" and its sequels.

Yale, New Haven! "The PIta Pit" and all that.

And the the theme of 'secret society' really captures the conspiracy of elitism surrounding the ivy league.

That's a good film to watch when you get rejected to feel better about being an honest normal person.

Elsewhere, I like "The Sure Thing"

John Cusack & campus living!!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

*Elegy starring Penelope Cruz as a grad student and Ben Kingsley as her professor with whom she has an affair

*The Human Stain-Anthony Hopkins as a professor

*The Barbarian Invasions- about a dying professor

*Wit- about a dying professor (sense a theme here?)

Edited by Firled