Course Syllabi

speechfan222

I am starting a Masters program this Fall (middle of August) and am already enrolled in courses for sessions A and B. 

Since I'm a nerd and prefer to read materials and textbooks way ahead of time, is it appropriate (or acceptable) to ask professors for their syllabus now? Or should I just wait until class starts? 

Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions about anything before starting my graduate program?

Edited by speechfan222

You can ask, but there's a good chance they won't have them ready. 

I make up mine the week before class starts, and wouldn't expect to have them finalized for a student until the first day of class. 

As for getting ready, take time off, relax, travel. This will be your last summer off in, well, ever. Enjoy it. 

48 minutes ago, Eigen said:

You can ask, but there's a good chance they won't have them ready. 

I make up mine the week before class starts, and wouldn't expect to have them finalized for a student until the first day of class. 

As for getting ready, take time off, relax, travel. This will be your last summer off in, well, ever. Enjoy it. 

That's true. I didn't think of that. I know some professors keep the same syllabus and just change a few things from semester to semester. 

You have a point. I'm definitely going to try and enjoy the rest of the summer. Once courses start this Fall, there isn't much of a break until I'm finished. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

If you've been in contact with current grads, you might ask them if they have any tips about what you might want to read before beginning the program. Otherwise, enjoy your summer, read for fun, and spend some time with friends and loved ones without a lot of stress hanging over your head.

2 hours ago, rising_star said:

If you've been in contact with current grads, you might ask them if they have any tips about what you might want to read before beginning the program. Otherwise, enjoy your summer, read for fun, and spend some time with friends and loved ones without a lot of stress hanging over your head.

I'm actually trying to find grads who have already completed the program, are currently enrolled, or who are just starting like myself, but I'm not finding anyone. 

I've been reading for fun quite a bit. I know I definitely won't have much time to read leisurely once school starts. I'm actually trying to finish my book before classes start in the middle of August. 

I see you're a social sciences major. Can you give me any tips or suggestions about reading material, or anything else, before starting the program? 

Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, speechfan222 said:

I'm actually trying to find grads who have already completed the program, are currently enrolled, or who are just starting like myself, but I'm not finding anyone. 

Write the department admin and ask to be put in touch with current students. I'm sure there are people around who can answer your questions. 

16 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

Write the department admin and ask to be put in touch with current students. I'm sure there are people around who can answer your questions. 

The other thing to try is to search the school website - there might be an older version stashed away somewhere and accessible. I have done this for just about every course I have taken - usually I can find something.

2 hours ago, avflinsch said:

The other thing to try is to search the school website - there might be an older version stashed away somewhere and accessible. I have done this for just about every course I have taken - usually I can find something.

I've searched the school website and have done a google search for the syllabi as well. They must be pretty secure. I'm not finding them anywhere. I may just try and enjoy the rest of my summer break (aside from working). Once school begins, I won't have much of a break at all. :) 

Edited by speechfan222

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I usually ask for last year's syllabi. Or I ask students who have taken the class prior to me.

Im trying to find other students who have taken the class already. Not finding any. Ill probably just wait until class starts. 

• 1 month later...