which language to learn?

elemosynarical

Hello

I'm almost done my bachelor's degree in psychology + biology, yes i'm only an undergrad, but you graduate students in the field of languages would definitely have more insight into this than I do!

I can speak Chinese, English, and French fluently. 
I'm already using Duolingo right now to learn Spanish, and I'm picking up the language insanely fast.

But i just feel like if I put Spanish on my resume, it won't be as impressive as German would be on my resume?
because people will just say "well obviously you're gonna learn Spanish really quickly, cuz you already know French!"

any way what's your thoughts? I was thinking of learning German as my next language, but I don't have enough brain space to memorize the gender of all German nouns...
(neutral, masculine, and feminine), and I'm planning on living in North America for the rest of my life, and barely anyone speaks German here, so I feel like there wouldn't be much point.

I was thinking of continuing my self-studies in Spanish? I mean it's a super practical language in North America, but again, I just hesitate to be proud of knowing Spanish because people will assume I will obviously pick up Spanish quickly if my French is good (Romance languages are very similar to one another)? so I feel like putting Spanish on my resume won't be a huge addition to my resume, because people will know I can easily pick it up since I ALREADY know French fluently

like obviously it would be very impressive if I could learn Arabic by myself (but it would take me at least 5 years to master it, and 5 years deducted off my life is not worth it).
Arabic also never really interested me in the first place, and I'm not interested in travelling to most of the countries that speak Arabic (no offence to anyone)

so what language should I learn next? I want to learn something that will be relatively useful and would still look good on my resume? 
i might consider a side-career in translation in the future or make languages my ultimate hobby (I know... i'm a nerd) 
I want to pursue graduate studies in psychology ( I know some of you are probably going to bring up German, because a lot of Germans have historically been psychologists... lol), but i mean I could always read psychological literature in English, since English is practically the universal language nowadays

Edited by elemosynarical

Sounds like languages are most likely just a hobby for you. Whether they look "impressive" on a CV is debatable and ultimately whether or not they will matter at all will depend on your career plans. If you want a career in a therapeutic field, Spanish sounds like a decent choice. Depending on your location, you might ask what other languages underserved communities speak, and that will vary by geographic location. Frankly, though, I would not choose a language based on some vague notion of prestige and I would not put too much stock in what it will do for your career if you're just self-taught and don't even have career plans at the moment. Treat it like what it is -- a hobby. Just go with what's the most fun for you right now. 

• 2 months later...

The relevancy of German is not everyday conversation (asides from recent German immigrants and a few scattered old people in the Midwest, there is indeed no many opportunities for speaking German in the US) but the fact that it's a very prominent language for research, of which you'll do lots in grad school. Elementary German is pretty easy, so if you can pick up a German 101 course you'll do yourself a small favor for the future. Spanish is easy, so you can come back to it whenever (during the summer maybe?).

• 1 year later...

I speak English, French, and Cantonese (used to live in Hong Kong and picked it up while there). In the United States I'm always told I should learn Spanish because it's so common here. I think if you are interested in Spanish, and if it comes quickly to you, then go for it. Spanish is very useful and I don't think anyone will look down on you for learning it because it's similar to French. 

As mentioned above, German is useful for research. I love 20th century German writers and will likely learn the language solely to read their works in the original. Pick one that interests you and which you see yourself using and you should be good to go, regardless of how others might look at the languages you know.