Post your website or other link to your artwork

michaelwebster

Great work! THis is a direction I saw myself going a few years ago, but it stayed a concept. Very strong. Easy to look at but hard not to think about.

Thanks for looking at my work! It means a lot. My body of work is something I developed after undergrad and it's never seen the light of day before applying and i'm just starting to get a sense of how others perceive the work. I like your stuff too, especially the mixed media/salvaged work.

Thanks for looking at my work! It means a lot. My body of work is something I developed after undergrad and it's never seen the light of day before applying and i'm just starting to get a sense of how others perceive the work. I like your stuff too, especially the mixed media/salvaged work.

Thanks! I have a bunch of other mixed media stuff I have been working on over the past 4 years that I need to throw on the blog as well. Its funny, since undergrad my art making pace as far as finishing work is much slower...and this is something I was looking forward to post undergrad but I feel now that I want to be back in school to help keep me more focused on working on things start to finish instead of spreading my motivation to wide and taking (4 years to complete something). Wondering what your thoughts/practice of art making since you have been out of school are?

Thanks! I have a bunch of other mixed media stuff I have been working on over the past 4 years that I need to throw on the blog as well. Its funny, since undergrad my art making pace as far as finishing work is much slower...and this is something I was looking forward to post undergrad but I feel now that I want to be back in school to help keep me more focused on working on things start to finish instead of spreading my motivation to wide and taking (4 years to complete something). Wondering what your thoughts/practice of art making since you have been out of school are?

My art thoughts/practice have been scattered since graduating. I have had 7 jobs in the last 4 years, including 2 middle school art teaching jobs and I got married. So there have been extremely busy times where I went 6 months without doing art, when I had summers off from teaching I made art everyday. 10 months ago I realized I want to be an artist instead of a high school art teacher. I finished up my body of work and applied to grad school.

@turnip: thank you so much! i don't know if my statement is so strong. i haven't written anything so serious about my work since undergrad and that was almost 5 years ago! but if you still wanna read it, i can email it or something...

@upper deck: i did! i went to U of Washington for my undergrad. I actually studied painting and drawing. it was a really intense program. let's just say there was a LOT of figure drawing/painting. however, a year after i graduated, i moved to New York and was part of an artists' collective and I worked at an art museum. seeing soo much art was really overwhelming and for about a year i was just making some bad ink drawings. i finally started focusing when i moved back to seattle. it's weird because i think a lot of what i learned about color etc as a painter is still very evident in my work. i feel like i'm occupying this weird space between painting and sculpture.

@turnip: thank you so much! i don't know if my statement is so strong. i haven't written anything so serious about my work since undergrad and that was almost 5 years ago! but if you still wanna read it, i can email it or something...

@upper deck: i did! i went to U of Washington for my undergrad. I actually studied painting and drawing. it was a really intense program. let's just say there was a LOT of figure drawing/painting. however, a year after i graduated, i moved to New York and was part of an artists' collective and I worked at an art museum. seeing soo much art was really overwhelming and for about a year i was just making some bad ink drawings. i finally started focusing when i moved back to seattle. it's weird because i think a lot of what i learned about color etc as a painter is still very evident in my work. i feel like i'm occupying this weird space between painting and sculpture.

Your painting/sculpture hybrids remind me of one of my recent favorite artists, Kristina Lewis. I like them a lot!

My art thoughts/practice have been scattered since graduating. I have had 7 jobs in the last 4 years, including 2 middle school art teaching jobs and I got married. So there have been extremely busy times where I went 6 months without doing art, when I had summers off from teaching I made art everyday. 10 months ago I realized I want to be an artist instead of a high school art teacher. I finished up my body of work and applied to grad school.

Yeah a year or so after I graduated with my BFA I decided I wanted to give back to the community. I begin doing some community art projects and teaching classes etc. then I thought I wanted to teach so I applied to and was accepted into a teacher eduction program.I ended up dropping out not too long after. I just couldent see myself juggling my students art/problems and my art. I decided I am still a little too selfish to take on high school students. I commend you for going through with it

Yeah a year or so after I graduated with my BFA I decided I wanted to give back to the community. I begin doing some community art projects and teaching classes etc. then I thought I wanted to teach so I applied to and was accepted into a teacher eduction program.I ended up dropping out not too long after. I just couldent see myself juggling my students art/problems and my art. I decided I am still a little too selfish to take on high school students. I commend you for going through with it

I would tell anybody trying to become a grade level art teacher to get out of the program as soon as possible. In Washington state, when the economy was good, there were on average maybe 3 or 4 job openings a year for art teachers. I was competing against 20 other applicants with 10 years of experience and masters degrees. I felt very successful finding a job opening, getting an interview was sort of out of the question. I was able to be a middle school art teacher because I was a substitute in a district where the art teacher quit her job the first week because it was too difficult (she was fresh out of college in the lowest test scoring school in the lowest test scoring district). I should have quit too.

hello i posted this on here a while ago but thought i would try again. feedback? i am right out of undergrad (last semester) and applied to/ was rejected from cornell, yale, and hunter.

I know that most programs want their students to wait a few years after undergrad, but I though i would try anyway.

http://www.mnartists.org/work.do?rid=257834

I second the post above - very cool work. Where are you headed?

Thank you. I've been accepted to SAIC, Cranbrook and SMFA... Each program has it's pros and cons and I'm still waiting on some info before making a final decision. Have you decided where you're going yet? You've gotten in to some great programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really curious as to what everybody else was sending in too! Here is my website with most of what I used in my portfolio : http://www.jessicajoyart.com

This is a great thread, because it is really hard to find fine artist websites by searching google! Everybody is really amazing too!

Edited by Everything_Bagel