HGSE 2018

Edugy

Hey! I saw a few people post already, but is anyone else having trouble getting your HarvardKey? After inputting the HUID given in the letter, I get this message:

Error!The HarvardKey system is not able to complete your request at this time.

Anyone else getting this message? Or rather, has anyone been able to log in and get your HarvardKey?

Thanks!

I'm currently weighing masters program (higher ed) offers from Harvard and Penn. Does anyone have useful insight to share about Penn's program as compared to Harvard? Personally, I have felt from my interactions with Penn that Harvard has a stronger community vibe, but maybe that's just me. Thoughts? Anything about academics, internship opportunities that make for notable comparisons?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, brainman1130 said:

I'm currently weighing masters program (higher ed) offers from Harvard and Penn. Does anyone have useful insight to share about Penn's program as compared to Harvard? Personally, I have felt from my interactions with Penn that Harvard has a stronger community vibe, but maybe that's just me. Thoughts? Anything about academics, internship opportunities that make for notable comparisons?

Thanks!

I'm curious about this as well! I don't know if HGSE just has a better PR team, but at least virtually it seems to emphasize a more close-knit community. I'm working abroad and will be unable to visit so would love to hear from people who have actually been on campus or talked to students!

On 3/3/2018 at 1:07 PM, scfchi said:

I was invited to interview for EdLD but not accepted, sadly. I was accepted to the EPM. The "update to your application status" included information about both:

"Thank you for your participation in the Ed.L.D. interview process at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. We greatly appreciated the opportunity to meet you and get to know more about you. This year, we have identified many more qualified and promising candidates than we are able to admit and it is with regret that I inform you that you have not been offered admission to the Doctor of Education Leadership program. At the same time, I am pleased to inform you that you have been admitted to the Master of Education program in Education Policy and Management to pursue full-time study for the 2018-2019 academic year. Congratulations!"

Undergraduate GPA: 3.93

GRE: 160 V, 165 Q, 4.0 AW

Professional Background: Seven years of teaching in an urban setting including one year in a hybrid teacher-admin role; significant experience leading groups of teachers and school leaders through committees, professional organizations, etc.

Hi - thanks so much for sharing! I'm in exactly the same boat as you, scfchi, and really not sure what to do next. I interviewed for EDLD, but was admitted to the EPM program instead. On one hand, it's so exciting to get in to the program, but on the other, it's disappointing to be so close and then not get into the doctoral program. I feel like I'm crazy for considering not taking the EPM program. Part of me simply wants to continue working on my career and try again in another year or two, but then the rational part of me thinks I should just take what's being offered to me NOW.

Does anyone know whether you can get into the EDLD program from another Master's program? Also, to repeat the other poster's question - is it worth it for me to get a second Master's, especially if this one is from Harvard? 

Sorry for the rambling! This forum has been so helpful for the past few weeks!

On 3/5/2018 at 2:29 PM, ReadytoTransform said:

Does anyone know whether you can get into the EDLD program from another Master's program? Also, to repeat the other poster's question - is it worth it for me to get a second Master's, especially if this one is from Harvard? 

I think the main question is, can you afford to pay $70k for a degree that you don't need for your career?  Especially since subsequent admission to the doctoral program is far from guaranteed. Don't get me wrong, a master's from Harvard would certainly open up career doors, but in education it is not guaranteed that those doors would be lucrative enough to justify the debt.

1 hour ago, Levon3 said:

I think the main question is, can you afford to pay $70k for a degree that you don't need for your career?  Especially since subsequent admission to the doctoral program is far from guaranteed. Don't get me wrong, a master's from Harvard would certainly open up career doors, but in education it is not guaranteed that those doors would be lucrative enough to justify the debt.

I've been having the same problem running through my head. I would be getting a second Master with a Learning and Teacher Ed.M., but I don't know if the funding will be good enough to justify it.

Edited by edu_21

5 hours ago, HGSE2018 said:

Hi everyone! Anyone received phone call from current students or alumni? 

I was admitted and saw missed call, so I am curious.

I never received a call yesterday, even though I got the email. I wonder if it was just for some students and not others.

@SSPhopeful  of course! I found out about merit scholarships on 3/20 by email (but I didn’t get it, so idk if they call the people that did), financial aid on 3/22, and that I was nominated for a restricted scholarship on 3/23, also by email. I found out I didn’t get the restricted scholarship on 4/3. Hope this helps!

Very eagerly awaiting financial aid news!

i got my call less than an hour ago.

Edited by smashtron

@SSPhopeful I don’t know this for sure, but the event may be cancelled. The HGSE website says that the whole school is closed due to the storm.

In the past I’ve received a link to the virtual session audio via email afterwards—but only when I had registered for the session. If they haven’t cancelled the event, you could probably reach out for a link to the audio.