Advice: Should I retake the GRE?

Haines15

I took the GRE General earlier this year and got a 160Q/156V with a 3.5 writing. I am hoping to apply to mid-level ranked statistics M.S. programs (ranked 15-50ish), does anyone think that those scores are strong enough to be competitive or should I retake it? I'm having a hard time finding admission statistics aren't incredibly vague (Competitive applications have done well on the GRE..., etc.).

I know a lot of depends on how strong the rest of your transcript is, fwiw I graduated with a B.S. in Biochemistry with a 3.3 GPA and have worked in a biostatistics lab.

I would advise anyone looking to apply to a competitive grad program to at least get a 4 on writing. It's a very formulaic process that mostly follows that you make good arguments and counter arguments in a five paragraph format with solid spelling and grammar, so there should be no reason why you can't do it (especially if English is your first language.)

For a Master's program in statistics, you should definitely shoot for mid to high 160s in quant. Verbal isn't as big of a deal but reaching the 160 threshold definitely wouldn't hurt you at all.

• 2 weeks later...