Best panic attack ever.

piccgeek

Hello all. This process is full of so many crazy twists and turns, usually involving minor panic attacks. I want to share a story about a happy panic attack!

So this weekend my fiance bought me plane tickets for me to visit him at MIT (where he is a PhD student in compsci and I'm applying for science writing) for Valentine's Day (a week late because apparently it's more expensive to fly at real Valentine's Day...go figure). While I was packing Thursday evening I checked my email one last time. I had an email from the science writing program director. I thought "oh no, I'm going to be rejected right before going out there? That's sad." The email was asking me if I would be available for a phone interview in the next couple of days.

1. I had seriously given up on the possibility of being accepted into this program.

2. I was certain I wasn't going to hear anything, good or bad or neutral, for at least another two weeks

3. By crazy random happenstance, I can do the interview in person.

I practically started hyperventilating. I could hardly write the response email my hands were shaking so much. Best panic attack ever.

Whether I ultimately get accepted or not, at least now I feel like my effort is validated. Plus this is an awesome example of my stars aligning for once!! ^_^

Hello all. This process is full of so many crazy twists and turns, usually involving minor panic attacks. I want to share a story about a happy panic attack!

So this weekend my fiance bought me plane tickets for me to visit him at MIT (where he is a PhD student in compsci and I'm applying for science writing) for Valentine's Day (a week late because apparently it's more expensive to fly at real Valentine's Day...go figure). While I was packing Thursday evening I checked my email one last time. I had an email from the science writing program director. I thought "oh no, I'm going to be rejected right before going out there? That's sad." The email was asking me if I would be available for a phone interview in the next couple of days.

1. I had seriously given up on the possibility of being accepted into this program.

2. I was certain I wasn't going to hear anything, good or bad or neutral, for at least another two weeks

I practically started hyperventilating. I could hardly write the response email my hands were shaking so much. Best panic attack ever.

Whether I ultimately get accepted or not, at least now I feel like my effort is validated. Plus this is an awesome example of my stars aligning for once!! happy.gif

I got a phone call from my top choice this week. The phone rang and the caller ID came up XXXX University. I took a deep breath and picked up--I was shaking during the entire conversation and am pretty sure this came through in my voice. Thank goodness it wasn't a skype call!

Whether I ultimately get accepted or not, at least now I feel like my effort is validated. Plus this is an awesome example of my stars aligning for once!! ^_^

Kid that's wicked cute. You should definitely slip into your interview that the Yankees suck. In my experience, it's relevant to every field of study in that part of the world. (Oh I miss that dirty water).

Last week I was rejected from USC. Then, three days a go USC calls me and is like "Hello, we are calling in regards to your application..." I got so excited thinking maybe they had changed their mind. Then they said, "...your job application". I forgot I had applied to some jobs there! I had an interview...not sure if I got it yet or not. But maybe I'll still be able to go to the school--just in a different capacity then I would have wanted.

Last week I was rejected from USC. Then, three days a go USC calls me and is like "Hello, we are calling in regards to your application..." I got so excited thinking maybe they had changed their mind. Then they said, "...your job application". I forgot I had applied to some jobs there! I had an interview...not sure if I got it yet or not. But maybe I'll still be able to go to the school--just in a different capacity then I would have wanted.

USC is a great place to work, and they let you take one class at a time for free! While you're employed they'll probably let you take a class or two with your desired department, which would strengthen your application a lot. Plus the health benefits and things are good. Good luck with the job :)

These days the odds of getting a job are as bad as getting a fully funded offer so I would take this as a GREAT accomplishment! :D