I just took the GRE and did awful. Applying to I/O PhD programs. Help?

crystalcolours

I just took the GRE this morning, and I only got a 150 (Q) and 157 (V). I know these are less than amazing scores, and I don't have enough time to realistically re-take the exam with a meaningful difference and make this application cycle. 

GPA: 3.7 
Major GPA: 3.9
2 years of research experience in multiple labs
Conducting an independent project
2 very strong LOR, 1 decent LOR 

I planned on applying to Ph.D programs at: 

Colorado State University
Portland State University
University of North Carolina
Clemson University
University of Georgia
Wayne State University

I'm feeling quite hopeless right now, and like I don't have a chance in heck. I had already planned on applying to some masters programs to be on the safe side, but now I'm not even sure if I'm competitive enough for those... :(

Edited by crystalcolours

I'm no expert on the topic, but I'd say still apply. Admissions know that GRE scores are not everything. In fact, way more weight is given to letters of rec and research experience. Just ensure that those programs you are applying to are one's you're super passionate about. And make sure you convey that passion and enthusiasm. Make it super evident when applying. Write your personal statements from the heart. At the end of the day, I feel like everything happens for a reason, and you'll end up getting accepted into the program you are meant to be in. Also, remember the power of the mind and positive thought. I know it is easier said than done, but if you keep worrying and thinking your chances are hopeless, than those worries and fears will manifest in physical form. Stay positive, and don't be so hard on yourself. You're trying your very best, and that's all that matters. I can really empathize with you. I also have a great GPA but struggle with standardized tests, mostly because of test anxiety. It sucks, but I think many people are aware of people like us and take that into consideration. (PS I, personally, I don't think your scores are awful. Great job on verbal :D) 

My GPA and GRE scores were lower than yours and I got into the M.S. I/O psych programs at Salem State University, Springfield College, University of New Haven, and Fairfield University, so if you want a safety blanket, apply to those schools!

I concur with those above. Your stats suggest you're a good choice outside one exam. You should make it past the raw score cut off and then the experience, LOR and SOP matter more. If you're really worried, you can also look to see if those same programs offer a masters program. If they have an option to have you apply to both, do so. But really, I think you'll be fine.

Similar to others have posted, I got admitted into my first-choice Ph.D Clinical Psychology program that provides full tuition funding and stipends with a 151 Q, 156 V, and 4.5 AW on the GRE, plus similar GPA and research experience as you. I was also invited to an interview at Wayne's State Ph.D Clinical Psychology program with those stats back in 2016 too!

Edited by JoePianist

Thanks for the support everyone! I think I'm going to take the advice, and go for it. I'll have to make sure my personal statement is damn good. 

Can I just say, that I know there's the phrase "cracking the GRE" but anyone else ever feel like the GRE started to crack them? Here's to hoping I never have to take that blasted thing again! :-P

Just now, crystalcolours said:

Thanks for the support everyone! I think I'm going to take the advice, and go for it. I'll have to make sure my personal statement is damn good. 

Can I just say, that I know there's the phrase "cracking the GRE" but anyone else ever feel like the GRE started to crack them? Here's to hoping I never have to take that blasted thing again! :-P

Made a separate post about this a while ago. When you do bad, you feel terrible initially. Makes you feel like you're not good enough, you're an idiot, you should just give up grad school, etc. But then you realize the GRE is garbage, and that it's only one part of an application (a part that many departments are starting to look less and less at). So even if you do retake it, regardless of your score, I'd say apply to the schools and fuck the test. It's a stupid test, everyone knows it, it's just something that needs to be done. 

On 9/24/2017 at 8:11 AM, crystalcolours said:

haha yes indeed! The GRE is starting to crack me up. Anyway, good luck on your future endeavor. I am still starting my own. :lol: