All quiet on the western (& eastern & southern) front

Ugh! Just want to reiterate how hard waiting is. I got 2 rejections last week (2/8 & 2/10) and then BAM!!!-- nothing this week. Perhaps I should be thankful I still have 5 apps out there-- but it's so hard to stay positive. If I were sitting on an acceptance life would be a lot easier. How are you all keeping busy? Do you run to check the mail or find a reason to be out when it comes? Do you check your e-mail 50 times a day or just check it regularly? So stressful!

I'm already a compulsive e-mail checker and this application season has certainly exacerbated the that terrible habit! It's starting to spread over to my regular mail checking as well. I think I'm becoming paranoid because I've started accusing the mail carriers in the town where I live of not working on Fridays and Saturdays. Haha. Oh man. And to make things worse, my university's post office closes at 12 noon on Fridays and isn't even open during the weekend. Why was I so dumb to use that address for anything!?!?

I guess all this was to say that you're not alone. Good luck!

This week has been a giant tease - the results board is bing-bing-binging away, but somehow I seem to have applied to all the schools that notify late! I do have 4 responses of 12 (plus one implied rejection), but I just didn't expect to go into the last week of February waiting to hear from over half of my schools. And I do think it's harder once the ball starts rolling - puts you in a constant state of expectation.

Next week has got to be The Week. We're so close!

I am still waiting to hear from all 7 schools that I applied to! Every week I hope for good news, but so far just lots of stress as I watch the results board pile-up the acceptanes. Hopefully this will be our week! Good luck, everyone!

I'm dying a slow death. This is my second round applying, and I thought I'd be better than last year. Not the case.

I teach five different sections of English at three different campuses. I think that being in the classroom is when time flies the fastest and I don't think about checking my email... well unless I have them doing an assignment, then I hop on the computer to check. Wow. I AM pathetic!

I'm still waiting to hear from all eight of my schools. A few of them have notified enough people already that I am pretty sure I'll get some rejects soon, or at the best not get any funding.

The suspense is the WORST! I would rather just know already, so I can get over it and start planning what to do with myself next year.

Somehow it makes me feel better that I'm not alone. Thank you all for responding. This is my second year applying too, muffinlit (though last year I was very unrealistic in the 3 apps I sent). I am off to a coffee shop to work on a review I'm writing-- that's got to be better than sitting here. The mail came an hour ago with no news. Chins up, I suppose-- it's so hard though. I agree with you tortola, and thanks for the encouragement inextrovert.

Applied: Brandeis, SUNY Buffalo, Louisiana State, Purdue, Syracuse, UC-Riverside, UWashington

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected: SUNY Buffalo, Purdue

I am still waiting to hear from all 7 schools that I applied to! Every week I hope for good news, but so far just lots of stress as I watch the results board pile-up the acceptanes. Hopefully this will be our week! Good luck, everyone!

I've got the same problem. And it has made me so very compulsive; every Email I freak out. Hopefully we'll start hearing something fairly soon, to avoid the inevitable snapping that's bound to occur.

This is my first year applying and I'm starting to think about what I will do differently if I need to apply again next year. For those who are applying for the second time, did you make any major changes to your application packet the second time around? Do you think it's worth re-taking the GRE (general and/or subject) if the current scores are just okay? I would greatly appreciate your words of wisdom!

I haven't even been rejected yet, but I'm already sad and confused :P It doesn't hurt to have a back-up plan to prevent insanity! In any case, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my stress.

This is my first year applying and I'm starting to think about what I will do differently if I need to apply again next year. For those who are applying for the second time, did you make any major changes to your application packet the second time around? Do you think it's worth re-taking the GRE (general and/or subject) if the current scores are just okay? I would greatly appreciate your words of wisdom!

I haven't even been rejected yet, but I'm already sad and confused :P It doesn't hurt to have a back-up plan to prevent insanity! In any case, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my stress.

I'm going to second readgreen's questions and add, How did you go about asking your LOR writers for the second time around? Also, since it isn't really a year between now and when applications would be due again, what sort of work did you do to improve your academic attractiveness, if anything?

Edited by Kam

Yup, I made MAJOR changes to my application the second time around. In fact, I completely changed my intended subfield. I wrote an entirely new writing sample independently, then presented at a conference. But my first application was really terrible, so I needed to make those changes!

For me I think it was worth retaking the GRE, only because my scores weren't stellar last year (640V), and I'm almost certain it immediately cut me out of the running at a couple of the schools I applied to (to be fair I also reached pretty high the first time). Retaking the subject test was sooo not worth it though, because it was very different from the first test. I actually did worse the second time, and my first score was not impressive at all. Thank god only two schools asked for it!

I think it's probably wise to make at least some changes to your application if it's not successful the first time, unless your problem was mostly due to fit, or otherwise try get something published or present at a conference.

Inextrovert, I read your first sentence as, "This week has been a giant STRIP tease." And then the thought of the results board "bing bing binging away" went to a very weird place. The results board is now that trampy girl who dated everyone in school but me.

As far as application changes, I made significant changes after my first round. I did, however, take more than a year between tries, so I had extra time to work on it. My main problem was that I didn't have meaningful LoRs because I'd been out of school for such a long time. I was fortunate to live near a major university, so actually took a few graduate classes to show that my brain hasn't rotted since I was last in college and to garner better LoRs.

I wrote new SoPs and a new writing sample. I had my graduate profs review both and give me feedback. On reflection, I think my original sample was probably pretty mediocre. More troublesome, it wasn't a good reflection of the kind of topics I'd like to research, so it didn't support my SoP. I feel much happier with my new writing sample. If you really want to test the strength of your writing sample, I recommend putting it away for at least three months (six is better). When you read it again after that long, you'll have a better perspective on it.

Personally, I didn't retake the GRE; I'm happy with my Verbal and Writing scores, though my Math score sucked. I considered retaking the subject test because my score wasn't stellar, but I choose to believe it won't be the deciding factor for my applications.

It depends on your score and the schools that you are aiming for. And what sort of a test-taker you are. I spent 2 months re-studying for the GRE's. I did well enough on my re-take, but man, the time, money, and stress wasn't worth it. (my top choice, as it turns out, couldn't care less about any of my scores. Go figure). Unless you have your heart set on the ivy's (in which case, you might want to re-examine the reasons for this), you might not want to re-take if your score is above 600 or 650. It's hard to give definitive answers, since programs tend to use (and weigh) the scores differently. The cut-offs varies, but as a very general rule (with lots of exceptions), the higher-ranked the school, the more likely it is that they'll use a higher "cutting" score. Still, there are top schools (some of which, confusingly enough, actually LIST average scores) which do not use the GRE (and some, not the GPA either) as part of the admissions decision. In short, unless you have inside information on the applications that you're applying to, it's something of a gamble. If you're limited on time, as a general rule, prioritize the SoP and writing sample.

I'm going to second readgreen's questions and add, How did you go about asking your LOR writers for the second time around? Also, since it isn't really a year between now and when applications would be due again, what sort of work did you do to improve your academic attractiveness, if anything?

Round 2, I just asked LoR writers from round 1. They were very gracious about it, even though some of them were perplexed at my decision to reapply. They updated their letters. Round 3, I asked for new LoR writers. I had taken graduate classes in the meantime, and asked professors in my field.

I wrote an entirely new writing sample (in a completely different field), and a new SoP to match. Since I was already in graduate school, I was working with a very different set of methodology/approach/framework, and I think it helped to strength my application. As horribly old-fashioned as it may sound, I only did well in applications when I finally stopped worrying about "how to improve my academic attractiveness" and started asking myself how I can simply improve my scholarship. My CV is, if anything, less impressive this round than before. I fared considerably better. I don't think that those two things are mutually exclusive (of course not!), but I do think that shifting the focus--at least in some cases--can be very helpful.

I think it's probably wise to make at least some changes to your application if it's not successful the first time, unless your problem was mostly due to fit, or otherwise try get something published or present at a conference.

I think conferences can be valuable (though it's hit or miss) for making connections, particularly if your paper was well-received. And the feedback from the publication process (particularly at strong journals) can be extremely valuable for revising your writing sample. However, I don't think it's at all necessary to have a publication (not that you suggested this)...and conferences in themselves are probably not dealmakers (or dealbreakers). Between rounds 1 and 2, I did pursue the conference/publication route (on top of retaking the GRE). It didn't help, and I fared considerably worse. Between rounds 2 and 3 (my current round), I basically ignored trying to make my CV look stronger (though there's nothing wrong with that--it's just a matter of priorities) and focused entirely on pushing the boundaries of my own scholarship. No matter how good we are--and undoubted, I'm willing to bet that most of you on these boards are outstandings writers/thinkers--there's always room for improvement. And this sort of investment (directly into our scholarship) is, I think, far more valuable to our growth as scholars in the long run. As opposed to...say, retaking that goddamned GRE's. (though if your GRE verbal score is horribly low, you may have to bite the bullet and retake it anyway). In any case, focusing on my writing/scholarship actually worked. I'm pretty happy with my offers this round. Ironically, although I didn't have publication plans for my writing sample (unlike past years, when I tried very to get my previous WS published), one of the professors at a program that admitted me is working with me get this piece into publication shape. I suspect (though it's hard to generalize from my case) that--again, ironically--only when I stopped focusing on getting a publication, could I actually begin to write in a way that's actually productive. I hope this doesn't become a trend :)

Inextrovert, I read your first sentence as, "This week has been a giant STRIP tease." And then the thought of the results board "bing bing binging away" went to a very weird place. The results board is now that trampy girl who dated everyone in school but me.

This was awesome. Look at it this way: at least you might be the only one in your school who doesn't come down with an STD :P

Edited by strokeofmidnight

Between rounds 2 and 3 (my current round), I basically ignored trying to make my CV look stronger (though there's nothing wrong with that--it's just a matter of priorities) and focused entirely on pushing the boundaries of my own scholarship. No matter how good we are--and undoubted, I'm willing to bet that most of you on these boards are outstandings writers/thinkers--there's always room for improvement. And this sort of investment (directly into our scholarship) is, I think, far more valuable to our growth as scholars in the long run.

Strokeofmidnight, in the time I've been visiting thegradcafe, I've seen a number of threads you've commented on, and while I don't always agree with you, I appreciate the time and thought you put into your posts. Thank you for that.

I agree (this time! wink.gif ) that focusing on our own scholarship is the way to go. In addition to the benefits you've mentioned, that kind of self-improvement also made me feel more confident about my applications. For me, that's been particularly helpful. Whenever I start getting wound up about my chances, I try to focus on how good I feel about the strides I've made in my scholarship.

Right there with you guys on all fronts...just trying to push the envelope on my own scholarship.

In my case, the stakes are different - no less high, but different. I already hold the MA, and I already teach EXACTLY what I want to teach, the way I want to teach it - I'm amazingly lucky in that respect. I also publish...but not as much as I would like to publish. I also present at conferences - but not as often as I would like to present at conferences. In my case, I don't HAVE to have the PhD, I WANT it, because it provides the credentials to back up what I already know - that I am a really good scholar with a lot to offer the field. I know this, and those who have worked with me know this. The PhD just informs everybody else who may remain skeptical. Does that make sense?

I'm a medievalist - nobody can take that from me. But access to libraries and recent scholarship via online journals - I can't get that outside of the academic setting. My primary goal is not really the coursework - I'm at a point where if I want to know something, I can find it out, I want to keep learning and growing, I study independently and have my own research goals and agenda, and aside from language acquisition I'm flying solo there without problems. But the exposure to different modes of thought, different writing styles and research methodologies, to other areas of study in my subject field, and to the most recent publications and presentations - the only way I can keep that is by pursuing the doctorate.

And so....I'm sitting on my hands trying to avoid chewing my nails, just like everyone else...and like most other English applicants, I'm not hearing anyyyyyyythingggggggg yet! ACK. lol

I wrote an entirely new writing sample (in a completely different field), and a new SoP to match. Since I was already in graduate school, I was working with a very different set of methodology/approach/framework, and I think it helped to strength my application. As horribly old-fashioned as it may sound, I only did well in applications when I finally stopped worrying about "how to improve my academic attractiveness" and started asking myself how I can simply improve my scholarship. My CV is, if anything, less impressive this round than before. I fared considerably better. I don't think that those two things are mutually exclusive (of course not!), but I do think that shifting the focus--at least in some cases--can be very helpful.

This is my next hurdle after taking the subject GRE's in April. Not sure about writing a new one - but I definitely need to strengthen the current one. My honors thesis is actually very close to the field I want to remain in, and although it deals primarily with children's literature, it's Anglo-Welsh children's literature, and the concept of Welsh magic is paramount to the argument (rather than other types of magic). Since I'm a medievalist with strong Celtic interests, I was hoping to keep the writing sample - but improve upon it as much as possible with the limited resources I have here (that's the ONE thing that kills me in Israel - I just can't get my hands on the scholarship). I'll have to order some stuff from amazon and betterworldbooks.com (thank god they have cheap international shipping rates) and see what I can do on my own to make sure my writing sample is "publication-worthy" (although not necessarily published).

On the other hand, I keep wondering if I SHOULD re-write the sample completely, and work on actual medieval texts, exploring the influence of Welsh magic ideals in them (i.e. Monmouth, Wace, Layamon, and Mallory). However, that's a piece of scholarship I'm wary of entering into on my own. Obviously, it's a much better "example" of my ability to read and research medieval literature, on the other hand, I have no profs, no resources, no one to help me do it. I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I'm not cocky - it'll be a TOUGH thing to pull off with no libraries, access to journals, etc. I can get my hands on the texts themselves, and I already have an excellent translation of The Maginogi and a good collection of Celtic Myths and Legends (Peter Berresford Ellis's), but purchasing every piece of scholarship written about them will cost money that I don't really have. Let alone finding the books of "Myth Criticism" (the Jungian approach) and narrative theory that I'm hoping to apply to the subject. Hideous conundrum.

Did anyone else write a sample on their own like this? Or did you guys just expand and re-vamp something from school (UG or grad)? I'd really like some advice on this...

(First: Thanks to everyone for all the ideas/thoughts so far! I'm definitely creating a just-in-case mental list.)

@ Branwen: I kind of wonder how much completely changing a writing sample really helps. I think that improving the one you have is good, but I would assume that schools don't expect your writing sample to match exactly to what you want to study in graduate school. That's what you SoP describes. My thesis advisor stressed the importance of a well-written, and highly-polished writing sample (he actually said that between poorly written writing samples and unclear SoP, a LOT of applications get rejected each year. My school gets a lot of applications and I'd assume they're from people who are/believe to be well qualified otherwise. But, from what he told me, the writing samples tend to be lacking.) but never implied that the subject of my writing sample has to match that of my intended graduate focus. Subfield match is important, of course, but other than that I think they assume you might want to do something slightly different.

(First: Thanks to everyone for all the ideas/thoughts so far! I'm definitely creating a just-in-case mental list.)

@ Branwen: I kind of wonder how much completely changing a writing sample really helps. I think that improving the one you have is good, but I would assume that schools don't expect your writing sample to match exactly to what you want to study in graduate school. That's what you SoP describes. My thesis advisor stressed the importance of a well-written, and highly-polished writing sample (he actually said that between poorly written writing samples and unclear SoP, a LOT of applications get rejected each year. My school gets a lot of applications and I'd assume they're from people who are/believe to be well qualified otherwise. But, from what he told me, the writing samples tend to be lacking.) but never implied that the subject of my writing sample has to match that of my intended graduate focus. Subfield match is important, of course, but other than that I think they assume you might want to do something slightly different.

The reason I'm wondering is that so many schools list "try to match your sample to the area you want to study". I HAVE medieval lit papers, but they're short. My honors thesis is primarily about children's lit (modern), while most of my future scholarship will be medieval. The main question is - to strengthen my thesis (a VERY long 45 pager, which needs tightening up and shortening to aim for the 20-25 pp limit) or write new / expand existing (e.g. my Gawain and the Green Knight paper) in the medieval field. Basically, I'm trying to hit for both - a polished, well written paper, in the field (or area of the field) I intend to study. Gawain is actually a good choice, since it's also based on the Celtic-derived stories.

So basically it's a toss-up - expand (by quite a bit) and enhance an existing, or shorten (by quite a bit) an existing not quite in the field. Or - write new (not looking forward to that...)

GAH.

Edited by Branwen daughter of Llyr

The reason I'm wondering is that so many schools list "try to match your sample to the area you want to study". I HAVE medieval lit papers, but they're short. My honors thesis is primarily about children's lit (modern), while most of my future scholarship will be medieval. The main question is - to strengthen my thesis (a VERY long 45 pager, which needs tightening up and shortening to aim for the 20-25 pp limit) or write new / expand existing (e.g. my Gawain and the Green Knight paper) in the medieval field. Basically, I'm trying to hit for both - a polished, well written paper, in the field (or area of the field) I intend to study. Gawain is actually a good choice, since it's also based on the Celtic-derived stories.

GAH.

Oooh, okay, I understand the dilemma now. (I had thought that you were reading the children's literature from a medieval angle and could still call it a medieval paper.)

I'd say that expanding a shorter paper into a longer 15-25 page one would be your best bet. For one thing, you've already had some feedback from a professor (I assume), so you might know what worked and what didn't. Also, considering your situation and difficulty accessing materials you'd want to use, expanding a paper would cut down on the amount of extra research you'd need to do in order to get produce something really great.

And, of course, Gawain is awesome (the poem and the knight) and I automatically support any and all writing about it/him. lol

So basically it's a toss-up - expand (by quite a bit) and enhance an existing, or shorten (by quite a bit) an existing not quite in the field. Or - write new (not looking forward to that...)

GAH.

I'd go with shortening. It's easier to cut than add. You'd probably want to reverse outline it though and make sure you were still retaining your argument. I cut one of mine from 44 pages to 23 with help from several folks. Ultimately, you'd want to pick the one you were most confident of or perhaps most proud of. Which one do you feel best exemplifies the level of work you are capable of doing? Best foot forward type of thing...

~ m

Oooh, okay, I understand the dilemma now. (I had thought that you were reading the children's literature from a medieval angle and could still call it a medieval paper.)

I'd say that expanding a shorter paper into a longer 15-25 page one would be your best bet. For one thing, you've already had some feedback from a professor (I assume), so you might know what worked and what didn't. Also, considering your situation and difficulty accessing materials you'd want to use, expanding a paper would cut down on the amount of extra research you'd need to do in order to get produce something really great.

And, of course, Gawain is awesome (the poem and the knight) and I automatically support any and all writing about it/him. lol

Gawain is totally awesome. hrm. I kind of like the idea of expanding the paper (I got an A, originally). Means by betterworldbooks order should be expanded. hmmmmm. It was about undermining chivalry, but I think I can place some interesting additional stuff in there.. I have to re-read it to be sure...

I'd go with shortening. It's easier to cut than add. You'd probably want to reverse outline it though and make sure you were still retaining your argument. I cut one of mine from 44 pages to 23 with help from several folks. Ultimately, you'd want to pick the one you were most confident of or perhaps most proud of. Which one do you feel best exemplifies the level of work you are capable of doing? Best foot forward type of thing...

~ m

That's the problem - both papers I'm most proud of and invested the most work in were my honors papers (seminar and thesis). The seminar paper is great - 15 pp of well researched work, got an A - but has NOTHING to do with my field (it's an examination of the work of Joyce Johnson - one of Kerouac's girlfriends, and a writer in her own right - comparing her memoir to a volume of published letters between her and Kerouac)

The second is the thesis. Children's lit, proud of it, indeed, worked on the damn thing for three months. However, due to a save snafu back in 2001, only the first half of it is the final version (meaning I'd have to reconstruct the second half anyway, with texts I no longer have and are VERY hard to get). And, it also has very little to do with my main field (despite the Anglo-Welsh angle), and doesn't examine a medieval text.

The Gawain paper I'm also proud of (got an A on the paper, last one in my medieval lit class), but it's a 7 pager. I examine a medieval text, but at the close reading level. I don't have any real research into it, references, scholarship involved (unlike the papers above). I actually have about 3-4 medieval lit papers - but all of them are short - 6-7 pages.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!

*sigh*

I'll have to think what to do. Maybe add a stronger thesis to the Gawain paper, and not rely on the close reading only.

Branwen, I was in a very similar position at the start of this application cycle. Like yours, my thesis was off-limits (though it's within my subfield—Victorian literature—I'm still in college, and am still writing it), but I did have a very strong 7 page paper in my area of interest that consisted almost entirely of close reading. I read a great deal of relevant scholarship and reformulated my close-reading argument in the context of current scholarly debates. It's certainly not the same paper that it was, but I didn't just insert blocks of academic summary. Instead, I took the time to reframe the discoveries I had made through my close reading within a line of argument that engaged directly with current scholarship. (I hope that makes sense.) It was certainly a lot of work, but I'm pleased with my results so far. If you're thinking of applying next year, this might be a perfect approach—you'll have lots of time to read secondary material and mull it over until you find a new space for your close reading to inhabit.

Also, while I plan to study Victorian prose, I am also a total medieval nut, and I love Gawain. Have fun!

The reason I'm wondering is that so many schools list "try to match your sample to the area you want to study". I HAVE medieval lit papers, but they're short. My honors thesis is primarily about children's lit (modern), while most of my future scholarship will be medieval. The main question is - to strengthen my thesis (a VERY long 45 pager, which needs tightening up and shortening to aim for the 20-25 pp limit) or write new / expand existing (e.g. my Gawain and the Green Knight paper) in the medieval field.

I had a similar quandary after my first round of applications. Personally, I think cutting down your thesis is going to be a lot harder than expanding one of your shorter papers. I find in my writing (and YMMV) that when I start cutting, my argument gets substantially weaker. You're talking about more than halving your paper since, depending on where you apply, they're looking for 15-20 pages. I think you'd be far better off expanding on the Gawain paper.

No idea what the focus of your Gawain paper is, but you could potentially pull in some children's lit to the paper. Gerald Morris used Gawain in two teen novels a few years ago: The Squire's Tale and The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady. Around the same time, Cindy Vitto wrote an article for Children's Literature Association Quarterly about the role of Gawain and the Green Knight as adolescent literature. It talked about defining adolescent lit in the medieval period and where the Gawain poem fits in.

I don't remember if it was in this thread or another that you mentioned having limited resources. Was your undergrad from an American college? If so, you might be able to contact their library and sign up for online library access as an alum. And because I love you so much, I found this list on JSTOR for you of all the institutions in Israel that have JSTOR access. You can contact them and see if you can get access through one of these:

Academic College of Law, Anglican International School Jerusalem, Ashkelon Academic College, Bank of Israel, Bezalel Academy of Arts And Design, Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya, The Israel Center for Digital Information Services (Bar-Ilan University, Ben Gurion University, Beit Berel College, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Open University, Oranim Academic College, Peres Academic Center, Ruppin College, Sapir Academic College, Shenkar College, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Tel-Aviv University, Tel-Hai College, University of Haifa, Weizmann Institute of Science), Israeli Antitrust Authority, Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance, National Insurance Institute of Israel, Orot Israel College, Shalem Center, Tel Aviv Museum of Art, UN Relief and Works Agency West Bank Research Office, Van Leer Jerusalem Institute

Edited by Nighthob