Does a second language actually help or only marginally?

NatRose

I’m a bilingual SLPA applying to Florida schools, so I focused on the field’s need for bilingual and bicultural therapists as the theme of my application. My question is: are second languages significant in applications for slp grad programs in general, or only for programs that specialize in bilingual and multicultural therapy?

Edited by NatRose

I personally think that it helps, even though it may not be as important for programs without a bilingual/multicultural focus. Part of ASHA's mission is to promote multicultural acceptance and for clinicians to be aware of the cultural differences that could impact therapy.

Even programs that don't have specializations in working with bilingual/multicultural populations usually have some sort of academic coursework that focuses on how to treat patients from other backgrounds. And the reality is that most places in the US have a great deal of diversity, and you're going to run into clients who have different cultural norms or who have a different first language than English. I've heard of a lot of SLPs working with children from Spanish-speaking homes nearly daily in the school system, even though they don't have a bilingual certificate--it just comes with the population that they work with. So I think that having some sort of background in other languages (whether that's through study or family) shows that you already have experience working and communicating with people that have different cultural norms and values from you. At the very least, I don't think it can hurt! :)