Jump to content
abenz

Gender, Women's and Feminist Studies, Fall (Autumn) 2018

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, abenz said:

Hey @indigopierogy and @toear5! How did you find out your results from IUB? When I log in my status just says submitted, not rejected or admitted ... did you get an email?

Hey,

One of the people from the department called me maybe one or two weekends ago to personally tell me. I just logged in to my application to check as well, and the status only says "submitted" as well. Maybe you'l hear something soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

Maybe you'l hear something soon?

Thanks for the confidence but I know they’ve also sent out waitlist invites. I’ve been checking emails for the past month obsessively so I know there’s been no effort to reach out by email or phone - just not my year for IUB! Thanks 🙏 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 7:00 AM, abenz said:

Hey @indigopierogy and @toear5! How did you find out your results from IUB? When I log in my status just says submitted, not rejected or admitted ... did you get an email?

Got a call from the grad director a couple of Fridays ago and an official email came after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@toear5 and @fvcr have you heard from any other programs? It doesn't seem like we applied to any of the same places, but I'm still interested in knowing what your journeys are like! 

I am probably not getting into either of the U Kentucky programs I applied for, one of my recommenders never submitted his letter! lol :angry: I don't want to mark them off in red yet just because I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

@toear5 and @fvcr have you heard from any other programs? It doesn't seem like we applied to any of the same places, but I'm still interested in knowing what your journeys are like! 

I am probably not getting into either of the U Kentucky programs I applied for, one of my recommenders never submitted his letter! lol :angry: I don't want to mark them off in red yet just because I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope. 

I was accepted into Stony Brook's WGSS phd program and that's the only WGSS program I've heard back from. I was also accepted into Berkeley's Ethnic Studies phd program, and UT Texas's Latin American Studies masters. I'm expecting a rejection from Rutgers's WGSS program because some of my classmates were already contacted for interviews, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

@toear5 and @fvcr have you heard from any other programs? It doesn't seem like we applied to any of the same places, but I'm still interested in knowing what your journeys are like! 

I am probably not getting into either of the U Kentucky programs I applied for, one of my recommenders never submitted his letter! lol :angry: I don't want to mark them off in red yet just because I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope. 

In addition to IU-B, I was accepted by the U of Arizona and Arizona State University. I just had an interview at Emory and will hear from them tomorrow. Another interview weekend at Vanderbilt for Sociology. Rejected from U of Minnesota and no word from U Michigan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fvcr said:

I was accepted into Stony Brook's WGSS phd program and that's the only WGSS program I've heard back from. I was also accepted into Berkeley's Ethnic Studies phd program, and UT Texas's Latin American Studies masters. I'm expecting a rejection from Rutgers's WGSS program because some of my classmates were already contacted for interviews, etc. 

Cool! I'm at Stony Brook's MA WGSS program now. I take all the same classes as PhD students, as I am literally the only MA student in the program. Let me know if you have any questions about the program or Long Island, I'm more than happy to answer them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, indigopierogy said:

Cool! I'm at Stony Brook's MA WGSS program now. I take all the same classes as PhD students, as I am literally the only MA student in the program. Let me know if you have any questions about the program or Long Island, I'm more than happy to answer them!

That's cool, and thanks, I will. To be honest, I think I'll probably be attending Berkeley, since my research interests would be better served there. I am not crossing off SB just yet though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fvcr said:

That's cool, and thanks, I will. To be honest, I think I'll probably be attending Berkeley, since my research interests would be better served there. I am not crossing off SB just yet though. 

Berkeley would definitely, imo be the better choice of the two, even though the programs aren't the same. I don't want it to seem like I'm trash talking the program itself, but the University is having some serious issues when it comes to funding that makes it very stressful for Humanities students. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got accepted to a bunch of schools today! Really weird feeling, they all happened at once. My parents probably started getting annoyed from all the texting!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, indigopierogy said:

Got accepted to a bunch of schools today! Really weird feeling, they all happened at once. My parents probably started getting annoyed from all the texting!! 

Exciting news!! The notification schedules really are all over the place for these schools -- I heard from most of my places in January (still waiting on UMich but expecting a rejection anyway). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

Got accepted to a bunch of schools today! Really weird feeling, they all happened at once. My parents probably started getting annoyed from all the texting!! 

Congratulations!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

@fvcr, are you coming or thinking of coming to SBU's admitted students day?

I haven't decided yet. The school can only reimburse me $100 and since I'm coming from Georgia, it'll be a lot more money than that (and more money than I can spend right now). I am still waiting to hear back from another school about funding + stipend to make the final decision about whether or not I should go to the campus visit at SB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking for a book for social sciences researchers who want to use feminist research methodologies in their research design. Any recomamndations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.