Leaving research - Reframing "research experience" on CV

reddog

So here's my issue. I'm about to get my second master degree, the first one a regular MSc and the second one a MRes. Over the course of this time I have conducted and taken part in a number of research projects. All of them have involved extensive fieldwork abroad. Now I am looking for jobs that are related to the practical application of my knowledge. (Btw, I'm in the development field as you can tell from my profile)

It was never my goal to stay within academia, but I saw these two masters as a chance to build on my skillset and I am convinced these skills are transferable to the 'applied/practical field'. But this is my dilemma: The last three positions on my resume basically all say "researcher" or "research assistant" in some form. I know that my experiences are more than that, and I want to reframe them so it highlights the "international" and "field experience" aspect rather than the research aspect. Has anyone had do this before, and how did you solve it? 

Thanks!

I have different resumes for different positions. When I'm applying to a social media or online writing position, I highlight the aspects of my past work that relates to these areas. So, I may have been an employee for a kids play area, but part of my duties included creating reviews and blog posts so I emphasize those aspects. When discussing myself as a researcher, I highlight the surveys and interviews I conducted in these previous positions. 

1 hour ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I have different resumes for different positions. When I'm applying to a social media or online writing position, I highlight the aspects of my past work that relates to these areas. So, I may have been an employee for a kids play area, but part of my duties included creating reviews and blog posts so I emphasize those aspects. When discussing myself as a researcher, I highlight the surveys and interviews I conducted in these previous positions. 

That sounds good! So how do you highlight the same positions in different ways?

11 minutes ago, reddog said:

That sounds good! So how do you highlight the same positions in different ways?

I suggest looking into writing skills-based resumes or functional resumes. That's the best way to make a career direction change. Consider key skills needed in the professional job, and write down how your skills align for the position. For example, I have a resume for teaching skills, one for policy evaluation skills, and one for counseling. All of the same jobs are listed, but my description is tailored to the professional experiences I want the interviewer to see. For the same job (Behavioral Health Clinician) the resumes might look something like this:

Evaluation:

• Evaluated and developed recovery treatment plans
  • Evaluated treatment efficacy through analyzing group data

Counseling:

• Facilitated individual and group psychotherapy sessions
  • Therapeutic techniques included cognitive restructuring, motivational interviewing [...]

Teaching:

• Conducted recovery staff training sessions to increase treatment efficacy
  • Interviewed and trained new hires

You really need to figure out what skills you want to highlight and tailor your CV/resume to those skills.

4 minutes ago, _kita said:

I suggest looking into writing skills-based resumes or functional resumes. That's the best way to make a career direction change. Consider key skills needed in the professional job, and write down how your skills align for the position. For example, I have a resume for teaching skills, one for policy evaluation skills, and one for counseling. All of the same jobs are listed, but my description is tailored to the professional experiences I want the interviewer to see. For the same job (Behavioral Health Clinician) the resumes might look something like this:

Evaluation:

• Evaluated and developed recovery treatment plans
  • Evaluated treatment efficacy through analyzing group data

Counseling:

• Facilitated individual and group psychotherapy sessions
  • Therapeutic techniques included cognitive restructuring, motivational interviewing [...]

Teaching:

• Conducted recovery staff training sessions to increase treatment efficacy
  • Interviewed and trained new hires

You really need to figure out what skills you want to highlight and tailor your CV/resume to those skills.

Great advice, thank you! I'll definitely look into the skill-based and functional resumes, didn't know those types existed until now.

Yep, I do what _kita does. I have the same positions listed (or a handful that intersect and I just label it Related Work Experience) and I emphasize different skills, responsibilities, and results depending on what position I'm going for.