Deferring Admissions

hipopotam

I'm wondering if anyone is going to defer admissions and for what reasons?

I sort of have a complicated situation and would like to try and defer for a year... though I don't think the reasons would be compelling enough to have them allow for it.

I was able to defer for a year with no problem. And my reason (the chance to live abroad for a year) was not that great either. You never know unless you ask. Worst case scenario, the department says no. They are not going to revoke your acceptance, or look badly upon you. I think they understand that things come up between November (when you apply) and April (when you decide). Good luck!

I feel like with Master's programs it's not so hard to get a deferral. My friend got BU to defer her admission to an IR Master's program without much of an excuse at all. PhD's might be another story . . .

To be honest, deferring had crossed my mind as well, but I'm too scared of losing my funding. And my alternate plan for the year (teaching preschool) is definitely not as good in the long run as doing a PhD. I think I'm just getting nervous about the fact that this dream that I've worked hard for for so long is finally coming true . . . what happens if I get this far and screw it up somehow? I'm sure once school actually starts I'll be so excited that it will all go away.

I'm considering deferring for a year so that I can afford a very expensive master's program at NYU. Their online system gives you the option to defer via an online form without hassling the admissions office at all, which is really nice.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to defer admissions and for what reasons?

I sort of have a complicated situation and would like to try and defer for a year... though I don't think the reasons would be compelling enough to have them allow for it.

What is "compelling?" I'm in a similar situation---I'd REALLY like to go this fall, but because of my law school loans, I would be better off working for a year so I'd at least have money to move. I'm uncomfortable asking the schools that offered me funding, since I've heard that the general rule in English is that they may defer the admissions, but they will very rarely defer the funding offer made for THIS year.

If anyone knows more about deferrals...please do tell!

I've just got my first acceptance without funding and I'd like to investigate into the possibility of deferring admission till 2011. In fact, it is recommended by the department's secretary as she thinks a deferral would give me time to seek and sort of financial resources. Now I have a few very basic questions about deferral: 1. Do I have to accept an offer before I defer? 2. Do I have to apply again for the year of 2011?

I've just got my first acceptance without funding and I'd like to investigate into the possibility of deferring admission till 2011. In fact, it is recommended by the department's secretary as she thinks a deferral would give me time to seek and sort of financial resources. Now I have a few very basic questions about deferral: 1. Do I have to accept an offer before I defer? 2. Do I have to apply again for the year of 2011?

Those are definitely questions for the department. I would guess that instead of accepting, you say you want to defer your admission up front, and you won't have to apply again, but just ask.

If they let you defer that means you're in and you don't have to reapply next year. You should ask the department about the technicalities. I would guess that you sign a form saying that you're deferring admissions which is different than just accepting the offer but does enforce some kind of acceptance-like obligation between you and the school.

If they let you defer that means you're in and you don't have to reapply next year. You should ask the department about the technicalities. I would guess that you sign a form saying that you're deferring admissions which is different than just accepting the offer but does enforce some kind of acceptance-like obligation between you and the school.

I am considering to defer their offer partly because the department does not offer me any funding for the first year. I'm not prepared to pay $30,000 outright this coming September. Since this is likely the only offer this year, I want to try again next year to see if I can secure a better offer. I wonder if someone on this forum could offer advice on the etiquette of deferral. If I defer enrollment to September 2011 but manage to secure an offer with funding in my second round of application, will I be permitted to decline this university's offer? Is it unethical to do so? How may I handle this diplomatically?

I am accepted for doctoral work at one of my top choices, but without funding this year. As I have a young family and this will mean a commuter marriage, plus walking away from a 49,000/year job, and I already have a sizeable amount of debt from undergrad student loans and credit cards, there is clearly no way for us to swing the finances on that. In my case, I was not only offered deferment, but was encouraged by the DEGS to take it. Obviously, there is no way for him to promise me funding for next year - they only have 4 TA ships available. But there is a better chance then than there is now, when I'm definitely not being funded for this coming year; meanwhile I can seek outside support and strengthen my application with the GRE subject test, conference and publication activity, and the like, without having to reapply entirely.

I fully intend to stay in the running there, because I do want to go. And I am going to do everything in my power to get that TA ship, or any other funding offer they might throw at me. But I am also planning on applying to a few other schools next season as well, closer to home - less prestigious programs, but nonetheless, I'm not out to be a superstar in the field, I just want my damned degree. So if the flagship state school won't take me, a good but not stellar secondary school in the system might, and might offer better funding. It's worth a shot. And no, I don't think that's unethical. You defer your acceptance of admission because you have things that need to be worked out...if they can't be worked out, then they can't. The school will always be able to fill your spot with another candidate...it's not like you're the key to their full season (more's the pity...lol)

I wouldn’t defer unless you absolutely have to or have a good reason. It looks like some people here have some good reasons to defer, but I think it’s better to get it done sooner rather than later if you can.

With that said I’m thinking of deferring or reapplying, but still waiting to hear from my apps. I’ve just started a job that’s going well so would like to save some money.

But the bigger problem is I’m working in China and it would be impossible to get my girlfriend to the states unless we tie the not, which I’m not *quite* ready to do. I really should’ve applied two falls ago when the timing would’ve been really good for going to school.

Hopefully this job will continue to go well and I won’t get fired for wasting time at work writing on grad school message boards.