Gates Cambridge 2018-2019

Russ1313

1 hour ago, Acervulus said:

Congrats to those of you who received the invite, and best of luck for those who are still waiting! :)

Is anyone concerned about wether to do the interview in person or via Skype?

Definitely will choose Skype, cause I’m in Peru atm. I’m so nervous!!

Congrats to everyone who received invites!! And strength to those who await :)

6 minutes ago, mg878 said:

congrats!

So do they give you a 48hrs deadline to get back to them?

Yes a bit longer than that. I chose Skype interview it seems easier for me and I have to travel. 

4 hours ago, Shulfer said:

anyone hear from cambridge trust?

I did. I was offered the Cambridge International Scholarship today. I haven't accepted the scholarship yet, but I guess I will tell them my decision will be delayed, since I'm waiting to interview with Gates on late March...

1 hour ago, Akintansi said:

Congratulations to everyone who got invited. Apparently, I didn't get shortlisted. I hope to give it another try next time. Is their anyone who got shortlisted who may be willing to share with me their success tips?

How do you know that you weren't shortlisted - did Gates tell you?

On 3/7/2018 at 10:41 PM, andreabcdef said:

I did. I was offered the Cambridge International Scholarship today. I haven't accepted the scholarship yet, but I guess I will tell them my decision will be delayed, since I'm waiting to interview with Gates on late March...

Was it with your admissions decision or a seperate email?

2 hours ago, Shulfer said:

Was it with your admissions decision or a seperate email?

Hi! I received the e-mail just a few days ago, as a separate decision. When I had my funding interview, back in January, I was told by my department that I had been nominated for Cambridge Trust funding and the Gates. 

On 3/9/2018 at 3:17 PM, Shulfer said:

Also does anyone know the process of trust nomination? do you get nominated by the department?

yeah, apparently you do get nominated by the department and have to wait until July (maximum) to hear back from them. 

they don't follow a particular timeline of when they would announce the awardees. although the first round was started last week.

For future applicants who wait for the outcome of their funding application, you can ask directly your department. They wouldn't communicate their nominations easily but if you insist by asking two or three times, you'll get an answer. That would save you the trouble of waiting several months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else receive a Gates rejection email today/earlier? The wording suggests that I was nominated but didn't make the shortlist. I would be surprised if I was nominated for Gates given everything else I've been able to glean about my departmental ranking (rejected by both nominated colleges, no other funding interviews so far). 

Interested to hear what other think. 

"Dear mary_berry,

Thank you for your interest in the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. 

I am now writing to inform you that unfortunately you have not been selected for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship interview for the above mentioned application. 

We appreciate this is disappointing news but our scholarship is extremely competitive and, with the high quality of applications received, our shortlisting committees had to make some very difficult decisions.  We regret that the Trust is not able to provide individual feedback on applications.

This decision applies only to the above mentioned application for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.  If you have applied for any other Cambridge scholarship awards, such as those offered by the Cambridge Trust (https://www.cambridgetrust.org/), your application will be considered separately by the relevant funding body.

Please note that if your application has been rejected by your Department or if you have already withdrawn from the Cambridge admissions process, then your scholarship application will be automatically cancelled and you should ignore this email.

Wishing you every success for your future plans,                    

Luisa"

1 hour ago, mary_berry said:

Did anyone else receive a Gates rejection email today/earlier? The wording suggests that I was nominated but didn't make the shortlist. I would be surprised if I was nominated for Gates given everything else I've been able to glean about my departmental ranking (rejected by both nominated colleges, no other funding interviews so far). 

Interested to hear what other think. 

"Dear mary_berry,

Thank you for your interest in the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. 

I am now writing to inform you that unfortunately you have not been selected for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship interview for the above mentioned application. 

We appreciate this is disappointing news but our scholarship is extremely competitive and, with the high quality of applications received, our shortlisting committees had to make some very difficult decisions.  We regret that the Trust is not able to provide individual feedback on applications.

This decision applies only to the above mentioned application for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.  If you have applied for any other Cambridge scholarship awards, such as those offered by the Cambridge Trust (https://www.cambridgetrust.org/), your application will be considered separately by the relevant funding body.

Please note that if your application has been rejected by your Department or if you have already withdrawn from the Cambridge admissions process, then your scholarship application will be automatically cancelled and you should ignore this email.

Wishing you every success for your future plans,                    

Luisa"

same exact email.

don't worry about college rejections, it's fairly meaningless. you'll eventually get a college.

the international trust has put ~141 awardees on their website (including vice chancellor's awards)
i think there is still half of them left. so we should be patient.

Edited by mg878