I recently took the GRE for the first time and received a 152 Verbal and 151 Quant. I have not received my writing score yet, but I am debating whether I should plan on retaking the test. Some of the schools I am applying to say their average scores are around a 155 Verbal and 152 Quant. However, my GPA is well above average at a 3.96. I also have various volunteer experience, 60 hours of shadowing, and am completing research with a professor. Should I plan on retaking the GRE for three points?

I wouldn't go through the trouble of retaking the GRE for three points. From what I've heard, programs mostly just check if your GRE is above 150 for both sections (and I believe at least 3.5 or 4.0 for writing). After that, it doesn't really matter what your GRE scores are, especially when other aspects of your application are solid and your GPA is high. Save yourself the stress, time, and money! 

• 1 month later...

GRE scores are never there to help you, only hurt you--and you seem to be safe from that. By that statement, I mean that GREs are usually just a tool to weed out those below a certain threshold (in your case, it appears to be 150 in each section). After that, they are pretty much irrelevant. 150, 157, 163...the odds are, the difference between these numbers really won't make or break any application. The only scenario where a GRE score will help an application is that if your GRE scores are particularly high, an admission committee won't throw your application in the trash for a weak GPA. Seeing how your GPA is hardly weak, that doesn't apply to you. 

So, save yourself the 205. You'll need it when you are a broke grad student. 

On 12/9/2017 at 7:08 PM, Nancy M said:

Can anyone give me advice on SLP grad school interviews?   Type of questions asked etc?  

From my experience they asked me these type of questions

Why did you want to be an SLP? Why did you apply to our program? What is a situation in which conflict arose and how was that solved? I don't remember all of the questions but some of these I was asked. 

I had three different interviews. For the first school, we had a group activity and then individual interviews with multiple professors. Another school was a similar format of interviewing with 3 or 4 professors who asked about 5 questions and while students waited they could ask current graduate students questions. Lastly, the third school I interviewed with I interviewed remotely via skype but for those on campus there are a tour of campus and the department, an essay to write and an interview with a professor and the head of the department. Hope that helps! :)