Fall 2018 Application

16 hours ago, TheAnxiousGuy said:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. With some schools/programs sending out notices already I was hoping to hear a little sooner, especially since their deadline was 2 weeks sooner than most schools I was looking at. I only applied to UW and CSUF (I'm a SoCal resident). Extended programs for both so that I can work while taking courses and doing practicum 2nd year. Figured it was the most responsible means of attending, assuming I get in to either. My stats are on a comment I made elsewhere in this thread, but I'm sure you could find them by looking at my profile. Did you want to share yours?

Sure. I have a B.S. in psychology, GPA 3.98. Social service experience: I worked as an RA for 1+ years in a child clinical psych lab. Tutored statistics students for a semester. Did a year of crisis counseling, and 3 years of leading a support group. Working now as a research coordinator for another child clinical lab. I only applied to 3 programs, all here in Seattle, because I'm limited geographically (aka, I own a home here and don't want to sell/move). Kind of frustrated by that, but hopefully some program will accept me and I'll go from there! What made you want to come to UW from SoCal?

17 hours ago, BackNSchool83 said:

I received an email from the Dept of Social Welfare at UCLA today offering me admission to the program !!! I am thrilled, this has been a goal for the past 2 years that just became a reality, I'm so excited! For those waiting to hear, I did not receive any notification on my portal for UCLA's graduate studies division, and in the admission letter I was told that the decision letter from the grad division may not be sent for a few weeks. So I say keep an eye on your email that you have attached to your application, odds are at least at this point that any decision will be received there first from the SW department, specifically from Tiffany. Go Bruins !!!

Congratulations!! how exciting! have you decided which admissions offer you will accept?

And thanks for creating the FB support group! Just requested to join...looking forward to continuing discussions there!

7 hours ago, jamie83 said:

Sure. I have a B.S. in psychology, GPA 3.98. Social service experience: I worked as an RA for 1+ years in a child clinical psych lab. Tutored statistics students for a semester. Did a year of crisis counseling, and 3 years of leading a support group. Working now as a research coordinator for another child clinical lab. I only applied to 3 programs, all here in Seattle, because I'm limited geographically (aka, I own a home here and don't want to sell/move). Kind of frustrated by that, but hopefully some program will accept me and I'll go from there! What made you want to come to UW from SoCal?

Wow, super impressive. No doubt you'll get in with even a half way decent statement attached that all that.

The program is ranked well and I read that the School of Social Work and College of Education jointly founded the 3DL Partnership which sounds incredible. My main focus is on preventative measures and healthy development of youth. I wrote about it for the social issue analysis and found a writing authored by a few professors at UW, among several others, that was on the exact topic and very detailed. Between the reputation and work of the faculty are doing it just felt like a perfect fit. There's also that the campus itself and the surrounding area are beautiful and I was looking into moving there either for school or after school regardless. 

12 minutes ago, NYMSW2018 said:

I’m waiting on BU as well. Although I applied only 2-3 weeks ago so I’m expecting a little bit more of a wait. How is their financial aid?

They are very picky with financial aid. They did not give me anything, nor did they give anything to the people in my cohort that applied. 

Hey, I'm curious, did anyone here apply to their schools closer to the actual deadlines? No disrespect intended, good on you guys for being ahead of the game, but I applied to BU on the 2/15 deadline and just finished with my BC app on Saturday... their deadline isn't until March 1st but it still makes me kinda nervous to see that so many people applied early and have already received acceptances.

17 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Hey, I'm curious, did anyone here apply to their schools closer to the actual deadlines? No disrespect intended, good on you guys for being ahead of the game, but I applied to BU on the 2/15 deadline and just finished with my BC app on Saturday... their deadline isn't until March 1st but it still makes me kinda nervous to see that so many people applied early and have already received acceptances.

I applied to all my schools by the priority deadline. Also, my professor wanted me to submit as early as possible so they didn't have a bunch of letters to write at once (within my cohort). Don't worry though, you should hear back soon. The first deadline to accept the offer was Friday. So, second waves of letters should be going out.

4 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I applied to all my schools by the priority deadline. Also, my professor wanted me to submit as early as possible so they didn't have a bunch of letters to write at once (within my cohort). Don't worry though, you should hear back soon. The first deadline to accept the offer was Friday. So, second waves of letters should be going out.

BU didn't have a priority deadline though, did they? Or are you talking about for Advanced Standing? I applied to the regular full-time program.

Thanks for the reassurance! I didn't expect to hear anything so soon but I just got nervous since it seems like everyone applied months and months before I did.

20 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

BU didn't have a priority deadline though, did they? Or are you talking about for Advanced Standing? I applied to the regular full-time program.

Thanks for the reassurance! I didn't expect to hear anything so soon but I just got nervous since it seems like everyone applied months and months before I did.

I am sorry, but yes, advanced standing. I believe they heard back first. 

On 2/21/2018 at 9:47 AM, StephVMSW said:

Hello all! I just wanted to share that I applied to CSUDH's MSW program in November, and I received an email informing me of my acceptance!! :) Just waiting on CSUN to get back to me, before I can commit to CSU Dominguez Hills. 

Congrats @StephVMSW! I got into CSUDH and CSULB recently. Wondering if you'll be leaning toward CSUN or CSUDH? What are your thoughts on the CSUDH program?

10 hours ago, NYMSW2018 said:

Also to update: had my interview with UPenn the other day and it went very well! Has anyone else applied to UPenn or have been accepted?

I applied to UPenn! My interview is next Tuesday. How did yours go? Any advice on filling up those 45 minutes that the interview will take?

10 hours ago, NYMSW2018 said:

Also to update: had my interview with UPenn the other day and it went very well! Has anyone else applied to UPenn or have been accepted?

That's great to hear!! I had my interview late December and got my acceptance within a few weeks!

@hmkerstetter The interviewer spends some time talking about the program and then asks you some specific questions based on what's in your personal statement! I didn't use the full 45 minutes, but I also didn't have a hard time talking because a lot of it was really structured! Be sure to think of some good questions about the program to ask!

8 minutes ago, mkern2 said:

That's great to hear!! I had my interview late December and got my acceptance within a few weeks!

@hmkerstetter The interviewer spends some time talking about the program and then asks you some specific questions based on what's in your personal statement! I didn't use the full 45 minutes, but I also didn't have a hard time talking because a lot of it was really structured! Be sure to think of some good questions about the program to ask!

That sounds easy enough! Thank you so much for your response. And congrats on your acceptance!

@hmkerstetter 

Just wanted to mention I got accepted! Interviewed late Tuesday night and heard back today (Thursday) morning. I can concur that you should definitely read over your statement and make sure you know why you want to attend UPenn. It was relaxed but definitely still formal. Good luck!

@mkern2

I'm not sure if this was with you as well, but the whole interview I was almost under the impression that I was already accepted. My interviewer kept saying "When you get accepted", "When the field office calls you". We were brainstorming good field locations in Philly that would be a good fit. At the end of the interview she said I had a glowing package and she hopes to see me in the fall. It was a lovely experience, everyone was really nice, but her diction made me feel a decision had already been made!

I just got my acceptance to University of Southern California,  but there’s no mention of scholarships in my acceptance letter.  It’s not my first choice and I for sure couldn’t afford it without scholarships.  Still good news though!

49 minutes ago, CelestialJenkins said:

I just got my acceptance to University of Southern California,  but there’s no mention of scholarships in my acceptance letter.  It’s not my first choice and I for sure couldn’t afford it without scholarships.  Still good news though!

CONGRATS!!! When I got my acceptance, it didn't say anything about financial aid either, but later the same day I got an email with my scholarship package in it from my advisor! So give it a few hours and see what they say!