Sacred Heart and other programs who are ASHA accreditation candidates

I asked my professor to fill out an observation verification form for Sacred Heart's SPLA grad program. She did it but then said I should talk to my advisor before applying to schools that did not have full accreditation. I'm sure students attend these programs. How big of a gamble is it? 

Edited by Dee2017
Typo

One of my top schools is actually an accreditation candidate. When I visited there they said that being a candidate isn't a huge deal as everyone makes it out to be. Basically it means that they are a newer program (at least mine is) and they have to have a certain number of years where they show job employment, praxis scores, etc. They said it doesn't effect what they teach and you will get your license no matter what. That's what I got out of it, hopefully that helps!

I was actually accepted into Sacred Heart and applied to other schools that were in the "candidate" stage for ASHA accreditation and this is what I was told when I had an I interview with Sacred Heart University. The candidate stage which means that the first 5 years of the program ASHA watches to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. However you will still get your qualifications just like everyone else. The program is just supervised more because it is new. Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

I also looked into this and one issue that I found was that you cannot get your CCCs if you graduate from a program that doesn't become accredited. You will still be able to work as an SLP, though. I think it is a little bit of a gamble, but it's just something to think about. University of Delware's campus is so beautiful, btw! :wub:

On 1/2/2018 at 5:17 PM, KaryOaky said:

I also looked into this and one issue that I found was that you cannot get your CCCs if you graduate from a program that doesn't become accredited. You will still be able to work as an SLP, though. I think it is a little bit of a gamble, but it's just something to think about. University of Delware's campus is so beautiful, btw! :wub:

You can still get your CCCs if you graduate before a program fails to earn accreditation. There is no penalty for going to a Candidacy school. I believe there is just some extra paperwork required by ASHA when applying for your license to prove that you took all of the necessary classes and whatnot. 

"In 1991, the Council on Professional Standards in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology established the status of Candidate for Accreditation for emerging education programs in audiology and in speech-language pathology through the former Educational Standards Board (ESB). This status became necessary because, effective January 1, 1994, an individual’s eligibility for ASHA’s Certificates of Clinical Competence (CCC) was linked to graduation from an accredited program. The status of Candidacy for Accreditation allowed students enrolled in newly established education programs to be eligible to apply for the CCC upon graduation without penalizing the first class of students graduating from those programs. "

http://caa.asha.org/wp-content/uploads/Accreditation-Handbook.pdf

And yes, UD is beautiful!!

Edited by Auuudriana

8 hours ago, Rowboat47 said:

@Auuudriana Really good to know - thank you for sharing this info! I decided to apply to Sacred Heart over the holiday break and am feeling better about that decision knowing this :)

no problem!