The Official "Make Everyone Else Jealous" Thread

Minnesotan

xnormajeanx:

Thanks! I know what you mean, the student profiles online are extremely intimidating.

I wasn't counting on an acceptance either, it was a HUGE surprise. But, I didn't want to do my Ph.D anywhere else. So it was RAND or nothing. My GRE scores will expire next year. So, I thought why not give it a shot...

I guess only Engineering guys would be jealous of me... I got accepted into MIT Operations Research! :P:P I will be working with two really amazing professors in Sloan School of Management. Regardless of the outcome of other applications, I'm definitely going to MIT, and no one can stop me!

Accepted: MIT, Cornell

Waiting: Stanford, Columbia

I am just absolutely floored by how well things have worked out for both my husband and me (see signature). Especially in his case, the whole raft of acceptances and waitlists for a really niche history field was completely unexpected and is a perfect example of cases where a MA in history can be a valuable stepping stone to a PhD.

Unbelievable, really...

I am just absolutely floored by how well things have worked out for both my husband and me (see signature). Especially in his case, the whole raft of acceptances and waitlists for a really niche history field was completely unexpected and is a perfect example of cases where a MA in history can be a valuable stepping stone to a PhD.

Unbelievable, really...

It looks like you've got at least one place you could go together, that's great. I'm jealous, actually. My boyfriend and I are having two-body troubles. I haven't heard from the one place he's been accepted so far, he's been rejected from one of the places I've been accepted and hasn't heard from the other. The closest we could be if nothing changes for the better is 3 and half hours. (We've lived together for two years now, it'd be a big change.)

My boyfriend and I are having two-body troubles. I haven't heard from the one place he's been accepted so far, he's been rejected from one of the places I've been accepted and hasn't heard from the other. The closest we could be if nothing changes for the better is 3 and half hours. (We've lived together for two years now, it'd be a big change.)

Sigh. It's tough! My boyfriend is DEAD SET on going to Northwestern. There's a possibility I'll get accepted to UChicago... but who knows? And even if I do... I don't know if I want to give up a really good opportunity elsewhere. I wanted him to apply to Johns Hopkins (he's in biotech -- and I would like to be in DC) but we have yet to agree on anything :(

Do yourselves a favor and go to the programs that are best for each of you. Do not base your grad decision on a relationship. Everything in your lives will change once you start school anyway. Whereas suitable grad acceptances are rare and precious (this is your future!), there will always be opportunities for new romantic involvements. If the relationship is worth it, so is the long distance. Attend the "best" (based on relevance to your interests, funding, prestige, job placement record, etc.) program that accepts you.

I just got an acceptance e-mail today from NYU Madrid for an MA in Spanish & Portuguese!!! First program I've heard back from and it's an acceptance so I'm stoked! More specific program info and funding info to come in the mail in a few weeks.

I just got an acceptance e-mail today from NYU Madrid for an MA in Spanish & Portuguese!!! First program I've heard back from and it's an acceptance so I'm stoked! More specific program info and funding info to come in the mail in a few weeks.

Congratulations!!

I think you responded to my thread "NYU Gallatin" last week. I haven't heard anything from Gallatin.

When did you send your application in? :roll:

thanks! I think my application was in around November 27(when I got the e-mail that said it was being printed and everything was being collected), though I had to send in a writing sample a bit late (after the deadline) because I had originally sent a rough draft in by accident - thankfully, that didn't affect my acceptance --good luck!

In at all three schools that I applied (Ph.D.; Criminology/Criminal Justice):

University of South Florida w/funding (nominated for (university-wide) Presidential Fellowship (would be 22K), if that fails, 12K assistantship with tuition remission and (1/2) health insurance)

University of Missouri-St Louis w/13K assistantship plus tuition remission. Not sure about benefits.

Indiana University-Bloomington in with first-year Fellowship that I think is 18K (haven't received the "official" letter with dollar amounts), followed by assisant instructorship, not sure what that pays. Full tuition scholarship and (I think) full benefits. (Going there tomorrow for paid recruitment visit; we'll see what they say).

Such a tough choice, they all sound good, but I am leaning heavily toward IU. Something in my head just says that's the place for me :D

I need to post in this thread to boost my self esteem after writing about my rejection in the other topic.

But I got into UCLA!!!! YAY! I'm going to grad school! The acceptance came about 2-3 weeks ago but I'm still ectatic since it's such as relief that I know I'll be going somewhere come Fall 2008. Also UCLA was my #2 choice, I'm originally from LA and it'll be great to come back home :)

I'm going for a MA in Social Science and Comparative Education, focusing on Race and Ethnic Studies in Education. I'm particularly interested in second language acquisition, bilingual education and linguistics.

In at Kansas with a FLAS Fellowship in Russian! Very excited because KU has a great Russian history program and the Russian Review is there :) Anyone else going to Kansas?

In at Kansas with a FLAS Fellowship in Russian! Very excited because KU has a great Russian history program and the Russian Review is there :) Anyone else going to Kansas?

LOL, maybe we'll both be Jayhawks? Dmh, would you pick Kansas over MSU?

LOL, maybe we'll both be Jayhawks? Dmh, would you pick Kansas over MSU?

I don't know! MSU gave me more money...but KU seems like the better program...but KU is so far away from me in Pittsburgh. I am planning a visit to KU this week and hopefully it will give me a good sense of the campus. I am so confused!

!!!!!!

:D I just got an email from Brown offering me admission to the neuroscience program! :D :D

AHHH.. I am so thrilled right now I don't even have words. I'm going to wait until I hear from Dartmouth before I commit to either program, but I absolutely loved Brown when I visited and I already have a whole Rhode Island "family" established since I'm living in Newport right now.

Lots to consider, but EEK.. SO HAPPY! :D

got accepted to elliot school at gw today. very excited, but with no money. question for the flas person above: were you admitted to the flas program w/o having declared your attention to attend kansas? i applied for the russian at syracuse, but dont know if not having told them about my intentions yet hurts chances...thanks!