Submit Chem GRE

Mphaker

Hi

Today I got my GRE Chemistry score back and it was pretty abysmal, a 690 (48%). I was wondering whether if I should even bother sending it as a domestic applicant for Ph.D. chemistry programs, as the score being that low may hurt instead of help my application.

Some background: Applying from undergrad at Berkeley,

2.88 cumulative and 2.68 major GPA.

GRE scores 162Q 163V 5.5W,

2 summer internships, 1.5 semesters/ 3.6 "full time" months worth of research, no publications, part time job in the chemistry stockrooms since summer before sophomore year.

4 total recommendation letters (where schools allow more than 3) - 3 solid ones from my PI, postdoc now at Genentech, and my work supervisor, and 1 from a postdoc that taught a class.

I'm applying to most of the UCs except Berkeley, USC, Scripps, JHU, UChicago, and Northwestern

Thanks for any feedback, any advice appreciated!

I am in a similar position. I got a 650 (36%) which is a little confusing because I scored an average of 60% on the 4 practice tests I took.

I am only planning on submitting to the schools that require (Stanford). I wont send to the rest of the schools. Seeing as it is optional at a good number of schools, I am guessing it is the least important aspect of the application. I have also heard this from others.

A 48%ile isn't the kiss of death if you're a domestic student. I got a 710, or 53%ile. Many of alumni from my undergrad institution have scored much worse and gotten into top programs cause their other credentials were on par. I am applying this cycle and submitted mine to schools that not only require it but also strongly recommend sending your score. I don't think it makes a big difference, if at all. By taking it they already understand that you are serious about graduate school and an ambitious individual, imo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I know this is late but it might help future students.

I got a 33rd percentile on the Chemistry GRE. Which.. sucks. But - From what I've been told, physical chemistry programs/etc dont care much since theres very little pchem on the test, and I was also told that scoring 40-50% on the test is normal for American students. Not sure why, but Ive been told that by many, many grad students that ive worked with.

In addition - the rest of my application was good, and I sent the GRE scores to all unis who wanted them, both recommended and required, and I was accepted to Northwestern. 

So a bad GRE score doesnt automatically rule you out of top schools.

I agree on what Fiain has to say. I got a 60 percentile in sub GRE and otherwsie have a GPA of 3.6/4 from one of the Tier 1 universities in India in my master's Chemistry. Sometimes, if they recommend the SUB GRE then submit the scores anyway. It makes your application strong by the fact that you bothered to give an examination which was otherwise listed as optional.