Harris 2018

Ellen123

2 hours ago, Policy.Planner.NYC said:

Interesting. I definitely don't qualify for anything need-based. I didn't ask at Harris, the admissions staffer just offered to waive my fee without prompting. Do you think other schools might offer a non-need-based fee waiver upon request? 

Did anyone else get a holiday card from the admissions office at Harris? I got one in the mail the other day and the small size of the envelope freaked me out a bit (assuming it was a reject letter, of course) until I opened it and saw what was inside. Ultimately, I thought it was a pretty strange gesture.

I got a card too. I think they may have my address from when I requested more information and I've gotten a few holiday emails from other schools I've applied to or started applications for, so I didn't think much of it. It would be odd, though, if they pulled addresses from the applications

3 hours ago, Policy.Planner.NYC said:

Interesting. I definitely don't qualify for anything need-based. I didn't ask at Harris, the admissions staffer just offered to waive my fee without prompting. Do you think other schools might offer a non-need-based fee waiver upon request? 

Did anyone else get a holiday card from the admissions office at Harris? I got one in the mail the other day and the small size of the envelope freaked me out a bit (assuming it was a reject letter, of course) until I opened it and saw what was inside. Ultimately, I thought it was a pretty strange gesture.

Other schools do for sure. Just blanket all of them except the ones I said don't for sure.

3 minutes ago, Prester John said:

Are you guys saying that you have been offered a full scholarship even before the EA admission results are out?

Nopeeeee. We're talking about application fee waivers. Sorry if that wasn't clear. And a handful of people got random holiday cards from UCh.

The waiting is killing me! 12/22 is so close yet so far! 

Anyway, I’m in Chicago for the weekend on unrelated business so I guess I should go check out Hyde Park when I have some free time. I reached out the admissions staffer I was in touch with and she gave me some helpful recommendations for my visit.

Hopefully I actually end up coming to Chicago next fall! 

23 minutes ago, virgogrl56 said:

Received an email about an hour ago also confirming the evening of the 22nd and it seems that they won't be doing phone call notifications, just an email directing to the portal

That email almost gave me a heart attack because I could only see the first few words of the subject line on my phone xD.

1 minute ago, nepravilniybuterbrod said:

That email almost gave me a heart attack because I could only see the first few words of the subject line on my phone xD.

The exact same thing happened to me! Part of the reason I wanted to post the update here haha

On 2017/12/16 at 2:58 AM, nepravilniybuterbrod said:

The same! I was very upset at first, for the first word is not "congratulations"

8 hours ago, lackey said:

Does anyone know the number of people applying/admitted/admit rate for EA at SIPA or Harris? Even getting current overall admissions percentages is more difficult than I thought it would be...

As far as I can tell, admission rates are completely opaque. My guess is that most of these programs aren’t as selective as the schools would like you to believe. 

26 minutes ago, Policy.Planner.NYC said:

As far as I can tell, admission rates are completely opaque. My guess is that most of these programs aren’t as selective as the schools would like you to believe. 

;). I've noticed that! Still, it's a self-selective group of wonderful people and nothing is guaranteed at this point.

1 hour ago, frankfurtercardozo said:

I think decisions are coming out on Friday? -- https://harris.uchicago.edu/admissions/blog/early-action-review-and-decision-release

Edited by Ellen123