Harris 2018

Ellen123

16 hours ago, Tk2356 said:

Has anyone heard how much larger this Harris class is supposed to be than previous years? I remember hearing it on a campus tour and thinking that internships/policy-related positions in Chicago would be that much more competitive, as most grads remain in Chicago. Anybody else have those thoughts or think them unfounded?

That's a really good question, even if it probably can't be answered soon enough to help a decision. I don't know about MPP, but here are the CAPP numbers:
1st year-- 11 graduates;
2nd year-- 15 graduates;
3rd year-- 25 students;
current year-- 30-ish students;
next year (anticipated)-- 40-ish students

So while the first two years had basically 100% in-industry job placement, we can't really know how long-lasting that will be as the market becomes more saturated. At the same time, I think the CAPP program is unique in that there really aren't any other programs like it so really the bulk of the competition is coming from your own classmates. I imagine that would mean finding a job in Chicago might be a little more competitive but a total of ~120 people with this particular degree is not doing to overwhelm the job market for this particular field.

If you're talking about MPP, it might be worth directly asking someone at the program. They have been talking a lot about the schools big changes and would probably be happy to share details about how many students they hope to enroll next year.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:22 PM, lackey said:

How portable is a Harris MPP to cities like DC? 

I heard they're really improving in this area, though still trail behind SIPA and HKS. The considerably larger MPP class does have me worried about how far those new DC connections will go.

22 hours ago, VergilY said:

I called yesterday and was told that the admission office is working on the decision this week and we should expect to hear from them "later this week", at the worst no later than "early next week". 

The envelope with decision documents is live, but nothing is in it, but this seems promising for today or tomorrow! 

3 minutes ago, John Sebastian said:

Yes, I am a CAPP applicant also and I see no changes to my page.  Perhaps it only applies to MPP applicants and the release date for our decisions might be a bit later than MPP students?  

I ain’t a MPP applicant either. Oh, I don’t want to wait any longer! Please let the decision come!

Hi everybody! I was in your position just last year, and can remember the excitement and anxiety you might be feeling. Now, I'm a first-year MPP candidate at Harris. I'm happy to give an insider's perspective the UChicago experience (or, at least, my UChicago experience). I have no association with the admissions department or anything like that, and will try to be completely honest.

Reach out (either on this public forum or in a DM) if you have question for me!

Hi @tinpants12 thanks for extending the helping hand!

Could you highlight the sort of careers that international students at Harris have had in the past? I am looking at MPP and MSCAPP grads, but most information I have found is about American students at the university.

Also, could you tell us why you chose to go to Harris of all the admits you might have had? helps to get some perspective on these things. 

Thanks!