Harris 2018

Ellen123

I made the mistake of rereading my application for the umpteenth time after submitting it and saw that I eliminated a necessary word in one of my essays after grammar checking approximately 40 times, so now I'm even more nervous haha. 

4 minutes ago, AddSmith said:

I made the mistake of rereading my application for the umpteenth time after submitting it and saw that I eliminated a necessary word in one of my essays after grammar checking approximately 40 times, so now I'm even more nervous haha. 

Never review your application after submitting!

12 hours ago, VeryCheesey said:

Hi @tinpants12 thanks for extending the helping hand!

Could you highlight the sort of careers that international students at Harris have had in the past? I am looking at MPP and MSCAPP grads, but most information I have found is about American students at the university.

I'm a domestic 1st year student, so I can't give you as good of an answer as I would like. I know that a good number of international students have sponsorship (either by their government or an employer) to study here for a couple years and then return to the same job. Even if they aren't sponsored, it seems that most international students plan to return to their countries of origin. The Career Development Office has identified that they need to do a better job supporting these students as they look for jobs once they move back home. It's much easier for CDO to cultivate relationships with employers in specific places (Chicago/DC in particular), and harder to do so across the world. 

In terms of career field, it's all over the place, just like for domestic students. I've had fascinating conversations with classmates from all over the world who are interested in politics, finance, urban planning, economic policy, crime policy... you name it! Many hope to work for the federal governments of their home countries, some want to go into consulting, and some are more interested in private sector work (i.e. economic analysis for a bank). 

12 hours ago, VeryCheesey said:

Also, could you tell us why you chose to go to Harris of all the admits you might have had? helps to get some perspective on these things. 

Thanks!

I chose between GSPP, HKS, and Harris. I chose Harris for three main reasons: 

1. Geography. I am from the midwest, and I knew I wanted to end up closer to home. I was worried about HKS's and (especially) GSPP's portability to the midwest. I knew that Harris would have the strongest network here.

2. Skills. With regards to curriculum, I have the impression that Harris and GSPP are more similar. They are more quantitative, more geared towards applied economics and statistics. HKS might be more oriented towards management, leadership. 

I visited all the schools last year. It was very interesting to compare conversations with students at HKS and Harris. Everybody at both schools was really busy, but they were busy for different reasons. At HKS, folks were like, "I'm so busy. I have to go to class and then go a talk by [insert amazing person] and then this club that I founded has a meeting and then I have another talk by [insert another amazing person] and then I have to meet with my social venture start-up and then I have to go to a third talk by [name any head of state]." At Harris, I heard more people say, "I'm so busy. I have to go to class and then work on statistics homework for a few hours before I meet with my study group where we will compare STATA code and then I'm going to go to a talk by [amazing person] and then I'm going to do my Analytical Politics problem set before meeting up with a friend to talk about the Microeconomics memo that is due next week. 

My experiences at Harris have aligned to those conversations I had as a prospective student. It's hard. Very quantitative. People spend a lot of time on problem sets. Because of the tough problem sets, I've learned a ton about programming, statistics, economics. However, I haven't learned soft-skills here, at least not yet. I think HKS might do a better job helping you build those skills. 

Of course, Harris offers management/leadership courses to help us develop those skills, and you can definitely learn advanced econometrics at a school like HKS. It's just not at the core of what each school does. 

3. Price. Harris ended up being the lowest cost.

Edited by tinpants12

1 hour ago, anmanya said:

Are they calling and offering acceptances? 

When will they post it online? The wait is killing me!

They said they will post it online tonight!  Missed their call last evening but they called again this morning,  best wishes!

16 minutes ago, ZCR said:

They said they will post it online tonight!  Missed their call last evening but they called again this morning,  best wishes!

Oh thank you so much for letting us know! Congrats!

1 hour ago, yzo said:

Congrats!!!! Were you called? Or through e-mail?

I was just notified an hour ago. Email to check website. Rejected from MSCAPP but accepted into MPP. Not at all disappointed.

Guys, I applied for early action and was waitlisted. They said my application would be reconsidered with the first-round applicants. But my status on the portal hasn't changed - no acceptance, no rejection, not even a renewed waitlist.

Congratulations everyone!  

Just wanted to ask about where did you find the financial aid information? Was it in the letter itself or as a separate document? 

There is a statement at the bottom of the decision documents page which says 'the following letters are available for this account'. There are 2 letters, one for the acceptance and one for financial aid.

Congratulations everyone!  

Just wanted to ask about where did you find the financial aid information? Was it in the letter itself or as a separate document? 

I believe it's a separate letter. If it's not a part of the decision documents, you might not receive aid/have to contact admissions/wait for a while (probably till the official mail is received).

Hi everyone! I'm really excited to be admitted to the MSESP program. Anyone else admitted to MSESP here?

Anyone know any insights on how this program compares with CMU's ESTP program (I plan to concentrate in the Energy and Environment specialization). Thanks!