Boren 2018-2019

malubra

4 hours ago, viktorria said:

Hi, all!

Congrats all, whether you were accepted or not! Something new and fun is around the corner, regardless.

I'm an alternate for AFLI/Senegal/French. Accepted AFLI-ers, would you mind sharing what date they listed for when you had to accept/reject?

Thanks!

First, thanks for the well wishes from everyone that made them. I didn't want to throw out a giant "Thanks!" earlier when some were still in the midst of dealing with heartbreak (as persona_in_foro said, you guys are awesome regardless).

Also, congrats to all the other awardees! 

As for the acceptance date, according to the pre-program checklist, declines must be made by May 2nd.  

Edited by CollegeSkiBum

1 hour ago, meme1908 said:

For people who were awarded, would you be interested in starting a groupme or is there another fourm? It would be nice to stay in touch.

We can just use the Boren Facebook Group. They mention how to join up in the Handbook. 

Edit: Actually, the smaller groupme might be a better idea. I was just let into the Facebook group and it's freaking massive (probably should have predicted that). There are over 1,500 members, so the posting is a bit chaotic. 

Edited by CollegeSkiBum

I don't even know what a Groupme is, haha...

I got the fellowship and look forward to hopefully meeting some of you in DC!

Congratulations to everyone! (Yes, even those of you who didn't receive the acceptance email - you made it this far!)

5 hours ago, meme1908 said:

For people who were awarded, would you be interested in starting a groupme or is there another fourm? It would be nice to stay in touch.

I'm down for this - especially since we'll all probably see each other in DC, it'd be cool to just talk and get to know each other! Anyone wanna create it and send the link?

And lol @persona_in_foro, it's an app/website/service where you can create big group chats.

I was only requesting funding for a full fall semester, which might be what ultimately made the difference. It seems silly now, but it didn't occur to me that a full academic year of study abroad - which I wasn't aiming for due to the fact that I'm a transfer with a shorter undergrad timeline - would be preferred.

Does anyone know if Boren alternates are allowed to put that status on a resume? I've seen press releases from schools that announced students who were chosen as alternates, so it doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to do.

Edited by MatthewJJ

2 hours ago, Keme said:

Where are you planning on studying and for how long? I'm planning on going to Yonsei for an academic year^_^

I was planning on going to Yonsei's language school for 4 semesters (so a year) 

I'm going to Korea this summer anyways so if I get chosen I wonder what will happen haha will I have to fly to D.C. then fly back to Korea? I wonder

Anyways GOOD VIBES 

On 4/17/2018 at 1:19 PM, MatthewJJ said:

I was only requesting funding for a full fall semester, which might be what ultimately made the difference. It seems silly now, but it didn't occur to me that a full academic year of study abroad - which I wasn't aiming for due to the fact that I'm a transfer with a shorter undergrad timeline - would be preferred.

Does anyone know if Boren alternates are allowed to put that status on a resume? I've seen press releases from schools that announced students who were chosen as alternates, so it doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to do.

I would THINK so...it might be a bit different with an award like the Truman, but I know that if you're a finalist for it and still not chosen it's essentially equivalent to winning and very much resume worthy...

@lposmanick @Danski @Keme@malubra Hey, all you Korea Boren people! My intention is to go to Sogang's language program for my fellowship starting in August. Have any of you already applied and been accepted to Yonsei? The application deadline for Sogang is only about a month or 6 weeks before the start date of each session, so I figured I'd wait and see if I won the fellowship. Now that I have, I'm a little unsure how to proceed. (It doesn't help that Sogang's website is pretty bad). I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences so far with Yonsei. 

@JjjuliannnI've been all over the western Balkans and Bulgaria, but haven't made it to Moldova yet! I could not get over how absolutely gorgeous it was everywhere I went in the Balkans. Definitely apply for the Fulbright!

On 4/19/2018 at 8:10 AM, Cheshirecaitt said:

Btw if you were rejected like me and have potential plans to apply for boren (fellowship or scholarship) in the future. Starting in July they will go over your application with you to point out what can be approved upon. 

Do you know if we talk to our campus representatives about it or do we just email iie? Seeing what I did wrong might make me feel slightly better

On 4/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, persona_in_foro said:

@lposmanick @Danski @Keme@malubra Hey, all you Korea Boren people! My intention is to go to Sogang's language program for my fellowship starting in August. Have any of you already applied and been accepted to Yonsei? The application deadline for Sogang is only about a month or 6 weeks before the start date of each session, so I figured I'd wait and see if I won the fellowship. Now that I have, I'm a little unsure how to proceed. (It doesn't help that Sogang's website is pretty bad). I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences so far with Yonsei. 

@JjjuliannnI've been all over the western Balkans and Bulgaria, but haven't made it to Moldova yet! I could not get over how absolutely gorgeous it was everywhere I went in the Balkans. Definitely apply for the Fulbright!

I'm applying to the Yonsei University Graduate School of International Studies (non-degree seeking student).  Applications are mailed in and due by May 31st.  Acceptance announcements are June, and it will take 3 days, estimated, for a d-2 visa from the Korean Embassy.  

On 4/21/2018 at 4:13 PM, persona_in_foro said:

So my background is that I did the first level of the program the summer before graduate school. Now that I'm wrapping up, I want to go back and finish the program completely through Boren. I had a really good experience there and had a great group of friends (a lot of Japanese actually who we all spoke Korean to each other). Some of the teachers I had were really good and some were just plain bad. I'm Korean American so I'm comfortable speaking the language but not so much on professional or business Korean which is what I'm hoping to focus on heading back there. Private message me and lets talk about it some more. 

I actually have a classmate here who did Sogang University this past summer if you want, I can connect you to him. From what I heard about Sogang, its really good for speaking and developing fluency.