Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

Hi everyone , I have applied to several different French PhD programs, including Yale (just got my rejection letter) and Columbia. I haven't heard anything yet from Columbia regarding a follow-up interview, should i be worried?

1 hour ago, senorbrightside said:

Popping in to say hola/bonjour from the Spanish side of things. I'm lurking here because you're so much more active over here...bonne chance and felicitacions (sp) to those of you who have been accepted already! 

Gracias amigo! Good luck to you and the Spanish applicants too, Romance languages unite! 

3 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

@Saltshaker Oooh! If you don't mind me asking, what were the difficult questions? Honestly, the fact that they asked difficult questions is probably a good sign. I didn't get past basic questions. : (

Tbh most of the interview was a blur, but I remember two of the questions  One of them was along the lines of “I noticed you’ve published a lot, do you plan to continue that in grad school, especially in terms of feminism?” and the other was “Can you explain your interests a bit more, studying the 18th century and postcolonial lit seems a bit paradoxical?”

By the way, congrats on the Iowa acceptance!

Edited by Saltshaker

Bonjour, tout le monde!

This is my first day on gradcafé, and I'm really happy to have found you all.

I mostly applied for Comp. Lit. programs (interested if anyone else here did that, too), and only one French department. 

I also had my interview with Columbia today! I really have no idea how it went, except that my wi-fi crapped out ten minutes in, and we had to conduct the rest of it on the phone rather than Skype... The questions they asked were pointed, but fair and interesting. It seemed like they only wanted me to speak French in order to confirm that I could really speak it haha.

Anyway, I'll just be lurking and biting my nails for the next few days! Nice to be here.

3 hours ago, AL95 said:

Hi everyone , I have applied to several different French PhD programs, including Yale (just got my rejection letter) and Columbia. I haven't heard anything yet from Columbia regarding a follow-up interview, should i be worried?

43 minutes ago, n.m.m. said:

Bonjour, tout le monde!

I mostly applied for Comp. Lit. programs (interested if anyone else here did that, too), and only one French department. 

I also had my interview with Columbia today! I really have no idea how it went, except that my wi-fi crapped out ten minutes in, and we had to conduct the rest of it on the phone rather than Skype... The questions they asked were pointed, but fair and interesting. It seemed like they only wanted me to speak French in order to confirm that I could really speak it haha.

Anyway, I'll just be lurking and biting my nails for the next few days! Nice to be here.

Welcome guys!

This thread is a really nice community, we have more than 10 applicants now. It's making this app cycle so much bearable for me lol.

4 hours ago, AL95 said:

Did you get an email saying you were shortlisted to Columbia and already interview? I interviewed today and there was definitely no mention of a follow-up interview. 

7 minutes ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Welcome guys!

This thread is a really nice community, we have more than 10 applicants now. It's making this app cycle so much bearable for me lol.

I don't know if I can say it's made it much more bearable for me, watching all y'all get acceptances/interviews left and right, but it's nice to hear from people going through the same application process! Haha

4 minutes ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

I don't know if I can say it's made it much more bearable for me, watching all y'all get acceptances/interviews left and right, but it's nice to hear from people going through the same application process! Haha

No idea what is at the end of the tunnel, amirite? Well, this week will bring many decisions for sure.

@everyone Thanks for the congrats! And sorry that none of us got a Yale acceptance. Did they accept anyone this year?!

@Saltshaker Well, if one of the questions is, "You've published a lot! Planning on continuing?", you're probably golden. Not many humanities folks have published!

10 hours ago, n.m.m. said:

Bonjour, tout le monde!

Who interviewed you?

7 hours ago, AL95 said:

@Saltshaker Sorry, what I meant was that I never received a notification for any type of interview for Columbia.

6 hours ago, frenchlover said:

@AL95 I'm in the same boat, and I'm guessing that means a no. It could probably mean an unfunded acceptance to the MA program as well. 

Ahhhh that must be so stressful for both of you! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. Either way, since they told me they’d be making decisions in two days, hopefully we’ll know soon and be put out of this waiting misery.