Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

Congrats to @Saltshaker and @awhiterussian and anyone else who got an acceptance today.

So sorry for the UPenn folks, but I'm sure most of you already have acceptances to other places.

Still haven't heard from any of my Spanish applications, so I'm living vicariously through the French folks...and rooting for you all. 

Hi! Not applying to French programs but this thread has apparently been a haven for all language folks. I'm applying to German programs and was just invited to an on campus visit. But it's next week and next week is only the third week of my final semester and I am unsure A) if I can justify missing classes so early and B) if not going hurts my chances of being accepted. There were only three other persons on the email request for the visit so. Thought I'd pop in and ask! 

Seeing all y'alls acceptances makes my heart happy! Congrats! 

2 hours ago, joselynr said:

Hi! Not applying to French programs but this thread has apparently been a haven for all language folks. I'm applying to German programs and was just invited to an on campus visit. But it's next week and next week is only the third week of my final semester and I am unsure A) if I can justify missing classes so early and B) if not going hurts my chances of being accepted. There were only three other persons on the email request for the visit so. Thought I'd pop in and ask! 

I would definitely try to go, maybe ask your professors? Hopefully they'll be understanding since they went through the same process.

--

Congrats on the LSU acceptances guys!

Sorry about UPenn too :( Fortunately you have other better options! 

13 hours ago, joselynr said:

I’d try to visit, I think your professors will be understanding! I had a friend who went on a few campus visits during her final semester when I was in college. 

I was going to ask about Pitt. A friend of mine spent two hours complaining about how, looking back, it wasn’t a great program. I don’t know if she was just being negative because she’s frustrated she can’t find a job, or if it’s accurate.

15 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

I’d try to visit, I think your professors will be understanding! I had a friend who went on a few campus visits during her final semester when I was in college. 

Sorry I keep crashing y'alls thread! I am going. No admissions offer but figure it can't hurt. 

Congrats to all y'all who keep hearing! This thread has given me life and encouragement (: 

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

I was going to ask about Pitt. A friend of mine spent two hours complaining about how, looking back, it wasn’t a great program. I don’t know if she was just being negative because she’s frustrated she can’t find a job, or if it’s accurate.

I applied because they had faculty interested in my research interests and overall seemed a nice program with an exchange program and the usual. I suppose a visit and talking with students could be good to learn more about it though.

8 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

@Yanaka Huh. Did your friend mention any specifics? It doesn't look like their placement is any better or worse than that of most programs to me.

9 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

I applied because they had faculty interested in my research interests and overall seemed a nice program with an exchange program and the usual. I suppose a visit and talking with students could be good to learn more about it though.

Nah the issue isn't the placement, but rather it was the cohort not being great. She said their French wasn't good, and they were obnoxious in class (you know, the I-think-what-I-say-is-relevant kinda participation). But it's been a while since she graduated, so maybe it got better! I was just curious if it was her bringing me down because I am waiting for an answer from Rutgers...

OKAY @Carly Rae Jepsen I SEE YOU! Congratulations!

No new acceptances or rejections, but one of my POI from Cornell called me today just to say congratulations and it was ridiculously sweet. Also got all of my dates lined up for spring visits and such! 

1 hour ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Thank you @madamoiselle and Homeward! 

@HomewardBound they haven't mentioned recruiting day to me, but I'd love to go! T

Congrats! You sure are having a great season!

Edited by Yanaka

Looks like an international candidate got into Rutgers in the results page, so best of luck to all of y'all -- hopefully you guys get some good news soon! :) 

@awhiterussian I'm sure you did better than you think you did. Was it mostly in French? 

Edited by madamoiselle

5 minutes ago, madamoiselle said:

Looks like an international candidate got into Rutgers in the results page, so best of luck to all of y'all -- hopefully you guys get some good news soon! :) 

@awhiterussian I'm sure you did better than you think you did. Was it mostly in French? 

Semi international! I'm here! Yeepee!

1 hour ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

Congratulation @Yanaka !! That's such good news! Not great news for me that I haven't heard anything yet, though ?

I think I heard early. I had a question about official transcripts, and he gave me the good news in his answer!

6 hours ago, madamoiselle said:

Mostly English but their questions were really hard 

@Carly Rae Jepsen Well, congrats! Let me know if they mention it. I've got travel plans finalized and stuff!

@Yanaka CONGRATS ON RUTGERS! I know that was your dream school, so yay! And thanks for the Pitt update. I think the quality of a cohort can be pretty subjective, and I'd imagine it changes drastically over time. I would have been more worried if your friend thought the faculty was awful or something.

@awhiterussian I don't know if this helps, but I was 100% positive that I'd bombed my Penn State interview, only to receive a fully funded offer of admission a few days later. We're usually a lot more critical of our performance than the faculty committee. You'll probably be fine. : )