Hello, 

I applied for a PhD program and was accepted. I became pregnant after acceptance and had baby in fall so I took the first semester as mat leave which is unconventional but they accepted that. They are discussing with me whether I want to make it as a deferred acceptance to Winter or next Fall. 

Here is the problem. My university is in a different city. Years ago I was living there and finished 3 courses in that same program and left after for personal reasons. I have since moved to a near by city. I thought when I applied this time I would be able to travel for courses once or couple times a week and miss some classes. Now with baby it is very hard and help I expected not working out. Drive is 3 hours. I can take one course as directed reading from home. Other 2 courses have to be in class. I am faced with the option of dropping out from my entire PhD due to these 2 courses being offered only in class. I can come to campus couple times a semester but not weekly. My department said only in person works.

I almost have no way out of this situation but thought of asking here first for any thoughts, similar cases, or grad regulations. 

(note: I know it is different from university/department to another but still seeking ideas). 

Thanks, 

A.

Have you contacted an office within your university that deals with this? In mine, there was a Student Life or whatever that helped parents locate babysitters or daycare. I would also think seriously of moving closer to campus if you want to stay in the program. 

As you think how to organize your life given that whoever was going to help failed you, you might want to consider deferring admission for next Fall. That will give you enough wiggle room to adjust to motherhood, to baby needs, your needs, and anticipate school requirements. 

On 12/4/2017 at 4:30 AM, AP said:

Have you contacted an office within your university that deals with this? In mine, there was a Student Life or whatever that helped parents locate babysitters or daycare.

This is just perfect for you. Try asking the university if they have services such as this one. I hope it works out for you. :)