Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

1 hour ago, rosco276 said:

Can confirm that Boston College acceptance is legit. It did feel crazy early, but nonetheless happened

That's great to hear.  This whole process is weird.  In this case I expect that your application was brought to the front of the line because it was stellar.  I can only imagine early acceptances are cases where every application wasn't reviewed, does that make sense?  Then again, I suppose the ~29 days from application due date to acceptance could have allowed the committee time to review all applications--perhaps your case was the one case where it was unanimous--everyone on the committee wanted you.  Either way, good job.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! Still waiting on Brown as my last hope of acceptance (Yale is such a long shot due to faculty fit, but guess you never know for certain!). Hope you all hear good news soon

11 hours ago, Want_PHD said:

That's great to hear.  This whole process is weird.  In this case I expect that your application was brought to the front of the line because it was stellar.  I can only imagine early acceptances are cases where every application wasn't reviewed, does that make sense?  Then again, I suppose the ~29 days from application due date to acceptance could have allowed the committee time to review all applications--perhaps your case was the one case where it was unanimous--everyone on the committee wanted you.  Either way, good job.

Appreciate it. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I put in my application extremely early. I was done with all of mine by December 15th - self-imposed deadline to avoid ruining Christmas. 

20 hours ago, proctorvt said:

There is still another hour or so left in the work day, but it seems the notifications will not come out today, either. I was quite reasonable with my anxiety levels, but we're 2-5 days past previous years going back to 2013 or so.... this is the latest they've ever notified. 

No two ways about it -- this process sucks you into a dark chasm of anxiety, no matter how much you try to resist that impulse.

At this point, I believe they're not just giving a standard answer when they say they're releasing the results in March. They might.

47 minutes ago, AnnaGG said:

My heart goes out to the string of Harvard rejects on Valentine's. I hope you guys are all accepted to some other major school to make up for it.

I'm sorry for these guys.

Edited by Law&Soc88

So I'm going through my email and last year my rejections were received on the following dates:

MIT Sloan: 2/17

Columbia: 2/23

Princeton: 2/23

NYU: 2/27

Harvard: doesn't matter lol

TLDR: still another week or two to marinate. 

18 hours ago, cam_soc said:

Has anyone heard anything from Brandeis? I know there were two acceptances last week but my application still just says "submitted"

Brandeis said they make decisions individually and don't send acceptances/rejections in waves. No open house-individual meetings with admitted applicants.  

17 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Thank you! It’s no Brown, but it’s the whole “a great advisor can overcome a lower ranked institution” thing you know? Shriver is so great. 

For somebody like Shriver to offer to be your supervisor is a great sign and will mitigate the ranking issue. Wherever you decide to go, I hope we'll run into each other on conferences since we have some overlapping interests.

36 minutes ago, qeta said:

In at Brown! What a lovely early Valentine's Day gift.

Congratulations! So that was you! I was looking at the stellar stats of the Brown admit in the results and wondering if it's possible for a mortal to be that bright. 

3 minutes ago, AnnaGG said:

Congratulations! So that was you! I was looking at the stellar stats of the Brown admit in the results and wondering if it's possible for a mortal to be that bright. 

Haha, I haven't posted on the results page yet. My stats are less-than-stellar, but like @Socioeconnut I took advantage of living in the Bay Area by taking classes at UCB and my two writing samples were good.

5 minutes ago, qeta said:

Haha, I haven't posted on the results page yet. My stats are less-than-stellar, but like @Socioeconnut I took advantage of living in the Bay Area by taking classes at UCB and my two writing samples were good.

You must be modest. The fact that you were accepted by Cornell and Brown already places you somewhere among demigods in my book.

1 hour ago, Law&Soc88 said:

At this point, I believe they're not just giving a standard answer when they say they're releasing the results in March. They might.

Yep -- all bets are off. They didn't release until after 2/21 in 2013. Who knows.