Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

On 2018. 2. 7. at 9:50 AM, 2733amh said:

I know this isn't entirely relevant, but I know there's some other criminology/sociology people on here...I got an email today from a professor in Penn's criminology department - I had applied to the PhD but don't have an existing background in statistics so I am being offered admission to the masters program for now instead. Very nice email, said my app was strong and believed I would have many options but that they hoped I would consider doing the one-year masters program to get started with the department...so if anyone else applied heads up decisions are looming!!

Hey, thanks for this info. You say you have a lack of experience in statistics - could you elaborate on this? By an "existing background in statistics," do you mean quant research or stats courses? 

21 minutes ago, SunshineOnMe said:

Hey, thanks for this info. You say you have a lack of experience in statistics - could you elaborate on this? By an "existing background in statistics," do you mean quant research or stats courses? 

I actually had neither which is why the director of the program encouraged me to complete the masters degree to build a quantitative background. all of my research has been qualitative and ethnography based + I am only 23 and 6 months out of undergrad so I think in general I lack overall experience as well. I did 2 theses while in college but they were both qualitative focused and I know I just don't have the same experience as a lot of other applicants that have already pursued masters degrees or been in the workforce for several years 

4 minutes ago, 2733amh said:

I actually had neither which is why the director of the program encouraged me to complete the masters degree to build a quantitative background. all of my research has been qualitative and ethnography based + I am only 23 and 6 months out of undergrad so I think in general I lack overall experience as well. I did 2 theses while in college but they were both qualitative focused and I know I just don't have the same experience as a lot of other applicants that have already pursued masters degrees or been in the workforce for several years 

I actually have a very similar issue. All of my research has been qualitative based and I'm worried that schools won't view that favorably. I did take 2 stats courses (intro and intermediate) in undergrad and did fairly well (A-s in both classes), but don't have experience with quantitative research at all. 

By the way, did Penn State offer any funding for your masters? I saw your earlier posts and you mentioned you've been accepted to some JD programs as well. I'm interested to know what your plan is. I only ask because I think we might have very similar interests. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions! 

Sorry to belabor the point, but has anyone heard anything from NYU?  I know at least one other person is asking on the results page. I've been through this process enough to know the only correct answer is "shutup and wait" but the suspense is killing me.

They average 350+ applicants.... I can't be the only one wondering wtf is going on. 

Edited by proctorvt

4 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Sorry to belabor the point, but has anyone heard anything from NYU?  I know at least one other person is asking on the results page. I've been through this process enough to know the only correct answer is "shutup and wait" but the suspense is killing me.

They average 350+ applicants.... I can't be the only one wondering wtf is going on. 

Also (im)patiently waiting on NYU-- radio silence here!

As of today, out of the 6 schools I applied to I got 4 official rejects + 1 implied from Cornell = 5. Notre Dame interviewed me and I cling to them with all I have. If there's anyone else here who was interviewed by ND or invited to visit this weekend, I hope you all got accepted to other universities that are higher on your list and you can say "no, thank you" to Notre Dame. 

21 minutes ago, SunshineOnMe said:

I actually have a very similar issue. All of my research has been qualitative based and I'm worried that schools won't view that favorably. I did take 2 stats courses (intro and intermediate) in undergrad and did fairly well (A-s in both classes), but don't have experience with quantitative research at all. 

By the way, did Penn State offer any funding for your masters? I saw your earlier posts and you mentioned you've been accepted to some JD programs as well. I'm interested to know what your plan is. I only ask because I think we might have very similar interests. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions! 

Sent you a message! Figured that was easier lol 

13 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Also waiting for NYU (and also a political economy person) and nothing yet either

Applied to the four schools below and have not heard from them.

University of Memphis (MSc Bioinformatics) Plus Separate (PhD Biology)

Loyola University of Chicago (Msc Bioinformatics)

Virginia Commonwealth University (MSc Bioinformatics)

Indiana University Purdue University (MSc Bioinformatics)

Who has  heard from any of the above schools and program?

4 hours ago, runningincircles said:

Has anyone else on here applied to Davis? I'm still waiting for a response, and this is pretty late in the game for them to give any acceptances. I contacted them two weeks ago, and the coordinator informed me that they were still reviewing applications and the notifications would be out in the next 1-2 weeks...2 weeks later, and still nothing. It's the only program I could apply to, and I'm just totally deflated - can't apply anywhere else, and this is my third and final attempt...after this, the PhD dream of the past 10 years and counting is done...this with 2 freaking masters degrees, and a teaching qualification, research experience, and going all the way back through a bunch of math courses to improve my GRE scores..ugh...

Congratz on the acceptance!  Pretty good that you got accepted to the only program you applied too...100% acceptance rate!

On 2/14/2018 at 10:29 AM, ThePastelCalico said:

Got an email last night with an acceptance at Utah, with funding TBD. 

Yay congrats!! :)  Also congrats on Shriver! That's awesome!

On 2/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, qeta said:

In at Brown! What a lovely early Valentine's Day gift.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:08 PM, qeta said:

A second edit because I just got into JHU and have apparently got a fellowship at Brown that covers the entire first year!

Congrats on your Valentine's Day gifts! I'm so happy for you! :D 

7 hours ago, wildflower21 said:

Just got an email from UIowa moving me off the waitlist into ACCEPTENCE with five year funding. I'm so happy. I feel like I can finally breathe knowing I will for sure be going into a program in the Fall. Five schools left to hear back from! 

Yes!! I'm so glad you got off the waitlist! Acceptance + funding is always good. Definitely celebrate. You're going to grad school! Hope you hear some more good news soon! 

1 hour ago, runningincircles said:

After my dejected post about Davis, I just found out I got accepted!!! I was truly convinced I hadn't made it in...so to those still waiting, don't give up hope just yet! 

Haha I'm so glad it worked out for you! 100% acceptance rate! Now you're on your way to your PhD dream.

I'm also really curious about the Yale acceptance. I'm still waiting to here from them, Vanderbilt, and UCSD. Excited about the upcoming open houses though.

How important is it to attend the visit day at the university of your choice? Been admitted in one but waiting to hear about funding—in a month they would tell us. But should I go for the visit day would that make a difference in securing funding?

28 minutes ago, Rae Marie said:

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt?

Last time I checked the results, someone was invited for an interview, but not much else. 

Anyone thinking that UPenn & Penn State have sent out to those admitted already? Their application portals are Q U I E T!

38 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Last time I checked the results, someone was invited for an interview, but not much else. 

Anyone thinking that UPenn & Penn State have sent out to those admitted already? Their application portals are Q U I E T!

Haven't heard anything from UPenn, either. CUNY and Columbia haven't even sent me official rejections yet. This waiting period is stressing me out! The only school I have heard from is the one that had a 1/15 deadline. How have you been holding up?

3 hours ago, Socioeconnut said:

just got email from Columbia to check portal. rejection. 

I'm sorry. I'm expecting a rejection as well :/