Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

22 minutes ago, Mopar18 said:

Don't think most people expect you to have a proposal ready but have a general sense of what your interests are. So no need to be laser precise but just saying I like sociology won't fly either. When I tell people a school isn't a great fit I usually mean no one on the faculty is in the same ballpark as me as far as their research interests. Some people, myself included, will apply to some schools even though the fit isn't great. I had to reach a little bit on one of my apps to find a decent fit.

Thanks for this reply.  I have a bachelor's in sociology and am almost done (in May) with my Master's in sociology, so I hope that lets committees know my interest in sociology, but I see your point.  I, too, had one or two schools where there was only one or two professors that had similar interests--several schools had many professors with similar interests.  So, yes I guess some schools weren't the best fit for me.  Still, I'm hoping I get into at least one school, even if it's the worst fit.  Otherwise I'm waiting until next year to apply again, which I think will be harder because I will have been out of school for a year, then.

2 hours ago, Want_PHD said:

My Brandeis application still says "submitted" too, and now it's the start of the weekend, so I expect more notifications will not come out until Monday?

Yeah, I am just going to assume that I'm waitlisted or rejected since they clearly sent out acceptances? 

5 minutes ago, cam_soc said:

Yeah, I am just going to assume that I'm waitlisted or rejected since they clearly sent out acceptances? 

I'm guessing the same, but last year two people posted--on the weekend--that they were notified on weekend about being on the waitlist.  I'm unsure if this means the posters simply waited to post their results until the weekend or that they actually send out notifications on the weekend.  This time last year, too, rejection notices started to appear in what would be next week our time (in 2018).

I also read (looking around the forums) that it's not uncommon for schools to send out notifications during the weekend.

Unfortunately--regardless of school--it seems many (a majority?) of acceptances aren't posted on Grad Cafe.

4 hours ago, Mopar18 said:

When I tell people a school isn't a great fit I usually mean no one on the faculty is in the same ballpark as me as far as their research interests.

The best advice I had - which ties in with yours - is that you need to be able to show an admissions committee that you can devise a PhD project, based on your interests and a potential research question. My interests are about the links between technology, fertility, contraception and embodiment, for example, and I gave examples of how I would like to study this, with particular reference to research already undertaken at X school or faculty members that were researching similar things already. Having an interest in “health” or “Gender” very broadly wouldn’t be specific enough, based on the feedback that I had from a number of professors.  

12 hours ago, Want_PHD said:

I'm guessing the same, but last year two people posted--on the weekend--that they were notified on weekend about being on the waitlist.  I'm unsure if this means the posters simply waited to post their results until the weekend or that they actually send out notifications on the weekend.  This time last year, too, rejection notices started to appear in what would be next week our time (in 2018).

I also read (looking around the forums) that it's not uncommon for schools to send out notifications during the weekend.

Unfortunately--regardless of school--it seems many (a majority?) of acceptances aren't posted on Grad Cafe.

Yeah, I keep checking my email regardless! I wish that the schools would just be transparent about when they send out decisions. 

Anyone else waiting it out for NYU this weekend? D-day seems upon us, according to the Results page, but does anyone have more reliable news about when they might make moves?

The radio silence is a little maddening... No interviews, etc.

Edited by proctorvt

49 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Anyone else waiting it out for NYU this weekend? D-day seems upon us, according to the Results page, but does anyone have more reliable news about when they might make moves?

The radio silence is a little maddening... No interviews, etc.

I am..I'm waiting for any news from anywhere really lol

20 minutes ago, Socioeconnut said:

I am..I'm waiting for any news from anywhere really lol

Historically, NYU will pitch offers and invite them for visitation -- total radio silence prior to the offers, unlike other schools that start showing their cards with interviews beforehand.

3 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Historically, NYU will pitch offers and invite them for visitation -- total radio silence prior to the offers, unlike other schools that start showing their cards with interviews beforehand.

So I noticed Columbia was doling out acceptances via phone and not many from Princeton on the results board. Those were my three NYC area schools. How many more are you waiting on? Sending you positive wishes for the upcoming week, it's looking like we will at least have some closure soon. 

On 1/12/2018 at 10:36 PM, pinoysoc said:

Two Interview invites from ND & an acceptance from South Carolina! Who are you lucky ducks?

How did the ND interview go?

10 hours ago, socihk said:

Just checked results in the last two years, harvard, yale, and boston university will probably send their unofficial acceptance within this week.

So nervous now!

Waiting to hear from Yale, too. This process is so agonizing! 

On 2/10/2018 at 2:14 AM, devouee40 said:

I know there hasn't been much conversation on Notre Dame, but I'm curious because I am currently finishing up a masters degree at ND (in another field) and kind of waiting on the ND decision before I decide between other programs. I believe their visit weekend is this weekend. I was not invited, but I also have not received a rejection notice. If I did not receive an invite to visit day, should I assume rejection? I am assuming that, but quickly learning that my assumptions are not quite right about this whole process. Any insight is appreciated!

I am an international applicant and had an interview with Notre Dame last week. They said they invited 25 people for interviews and would make an initial offer to about 20, and then go backto the other 5 if needed. Wouldn't anyone consider talking to you, since you're already their student?

@AnnaGG The ND visit is next weekend.

The interview process at ND is pretty unique/strict compared to other programs. While anything is possible, my guess is that ND won't make offers outside of the interviewee pool unless an unexpectedly high number of people who receive acceptances after the visit weekend decline. 

34 minutes ago, AnnaGG said:

I am an international applicant and had an interview with Notre Dame last week. They said they invited 25 people for interviews and would make an initial offer to about 20, and then go backto the other 5 if needed. Wouldn't anyone consider talking to you, since you're already their student?

I'm a grad student in business, so it's completely different college and I have minimal connections to Sociology or Arts and Letters. Thanks for the thoughts though. I kind of assumed I was out of the running.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:53 PM, Socioeconnut said:

So I noticed Columbia was doling out acceptances via phone and not many from Princeton on the results board. Those were my three NYC area schools. How many more are you waiting on? Sending you positive wishes for the upcoming week, it's looking like we will at least have some closure soon. 

One (likely) acceptance at UPenn in political science. Waiting on two others. My case is somewhat unique, as I'm making a jump from another PhD program. My training is interdisciplinary, but NYU is tops for political sociology and political economy as far as my interests go. 

I was hoping to hear something from NYU this weekend. I've played the waiting game several times now and it never gets any easier. I was a honey badger up until the middle of last week, then the anxiety monster got the best of me.

Edited by proctorvt

15 hours ago, proctorvt said:

One (likely) acceptance at UPenn in political science. Waiting on two others. My case is somewhat unique, as I'm making a jump from another PhD program. My training is interdisciplinary, but NYU is tops for political sociology and political economy as far as my interests go. 

I was hoping to hear something from NYU this weekend. I've played the waiting game several times now and it never gets any easier. I was a honey badger up until the middle of last week, then the anxiety monster got the best of me.

I hear you.  I was rejected from the PhD program at my top school and offered a spot in their MA last year (I deferred, as I have an MA and wanted to try for PhD again). After meeting with faculty and other PhD's in the program, everyone reassured me it was a fluke and no way should I waste more time and money on another MA when I have original research, etc. My POI allowed me to take their advanced doctoral course and met with me multiple times during the Fall semester to discuss and support my research. Seeing acceptances from the program and not hearing anything is just killing me. I am just confused. If I don't get in there, I don't see how or why any other program would take me, considering how much I invested into the department - I spent the Fall semester killing myself with the course work and building relationships instead of retaking the GRE which could have strengthened my appeal more broadly :( 

17 minutes ago, Socioeconnut said:

I hear you.  I was rejected from the PhD program at my top school and offered a spot in their MA last year (I deferred, as I have an MA and wanted to try for PhD again). After meeting with faculty and other PhD's in the program, everyone reassured me it was a fluke and no way should I waste more time and money on another MA when I have original research, etc. My POI allowed me to take their advanced doctoral course and met with me multiple times during the Fall semester to discuss and support my research. Seeing acceptances from the program and not hearing anything is just killing me. I am just confused. If I don't get in there, I don't see how or why any other program would take me, considering how much I invested into the department - I spent the Fall semester killing myself with the course work and building relationships instead of retaking the GRE which could have strengthened my appeal more broadly :( 

What program is that?

Has anyone called Columbia? Is it true that if we have not head by now, we are rejected?

How about Harvard? I saw some acceptances were emailed out. If you were not emailed, does that mean you are not admitted? Has anyone called?

How about Princeton? I saw that some acceptances have been sent out. Has anyone called about rejections / admissions? 

How about Brown? I saw some rejections, but have any acceptances gone out?

Another day with nothing from Northwestern or Cornell. Who else is waiting on those? Cornell said on their page that results would be in late January to early February with most intramural fellowships filled by mid-February. What am I missing?

13 minutes ago, AnnaGG said:

Another day with nothing from Northwestern or Cornell. Who else is waiting on those? Cornell said on their page that results would be in late January to early February with most intramural fellowships filled by mid-February. What am I missing?

I'm still waiting to hear from Cornell as well. Based on previous cycles, we should most likely hear something this week. I'm definitely not freaking out or anything