Grad School & Full Time Job - is it possible?

ArchieJones

Hi,

I'm about to finish my last year of undergrad and it's looking like I'm going to be a full time student in NYU's MSW program next year.  I have no financial support from family and while I've heard that you can take out student loans for living expenses (does anyone actually know how that works?), I'm hoping to not.  So, I've been thinking that in order to house and feed myself, especially in NYC, I'm going need to get a full time job.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? Tips? Thoughts?

Yes its possible to work full time and go to graduate school full time, you just have to decide what you're willing to sacrifice.  You'll have less free time to spend with family and friends, attend social events, or just sit around doing nothing.  You'll have to work harder to maintain your self care needs such as sleeping, exercising, eating well, and whatever you do to reduce stress.  It really helps to keep focused on what you will do once you finish your program and that your life won't always be like this.

As for taking out loans for living expenses, yes this is an option.  If your school participates in the federal student loan program there are several different loan products that may be an option for you.  You can look at studentloans.gov to learn more about different federal loan options.  

I don't think the previous post takes into account the required field placement for an MSW. I don't think it's possible to work full-time for an MSW and attend full-time, although you may work full-time and attend an MSW program part-time.

I'm echoing what @TheCrow has just mentionned. It also depends if you have internships with your classes. And your student status (full-time or part-time). I have classmates who are working full-time while being a full-time student and having 2 + days of stage. And it's a lot. I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if you want to do a Ph.D., I just don't see how you'll be able to get good grades while doing that.

Edited by Adelaide9216

A woman in my cohort worked full-time and did her MSW full-time the first year of the program. She worked full-time as a case manager during the day and did her field placement hours during evenings/nights at a hospital. Her classes were distance education, though. In her second year of the program she had to cut back to working part-time because field hours increased and she needed extra study time for the comprehensive exam to graduate. So it's doable, but certainly difficult especially if you plan to take classes on campus.

Edited by louise86

I have a friend in my MSW program who's currently working full time as a psych technician as well as going to school full-time.  She's able to do that because her concentration, Individuals Groups and Families, is set up in a way that she only has to take 3 courses the first semester.  She's taking a winter intersession course as well in order to have 3 courses next semester and continue to work full time.  However, she has mentioned that she's going to have cut back during her last year of the MSW because field hours increase, so she won't be able to go to school full time and work full time.  I, on the other hand, have a Community Organizing concentration and thus can't work full time because my course load is 4 courses the first semester and four courses the next.  So, that coupled with field education, work study, and graduate student organization duties means that there are not enough hours in a day for me to be able to work full time.

If you do manage to find a full time job related to Social Work, you might be able to do your internship there as many schools have programs for employed persons (with some stipulations, of course).

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible but I wouldn't recommend it. I knew someone who worked overnights will in school full time and it was nearly impossible with schedules and internships and her schoolwork suffered. Cost of living in New York is high and if you work a social service job even working full time you will be stretched to pay bills. When I was in grad school I worked part time at a social service agency on the weekends which allowed me to get some experience and I also didn't have to take out as many loans for living expenses. I would consider that route. It's ok to take out a modest amount of money for living expenses.