2018 App Cycle

Hey, just wanted to jump in here. I’m applying to a mix of Sociology and Crimonology programs. For Criminology I’m applying to Penn State, Indiana, and Washington State.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:36 AM, MonkeyHouse said:

I applied to SUNY also, as well as University of Florida, University of Central Florida, Arizona State and UC Irvine. I would be happy for someone to like me enough for a waitlist, this process is stressful and I need reassurance! 

Amen to that. I've just been slowly counting down the days...very slowly.....so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

But on the bright side, my next semester starts Monday so now I get to be anxious and mentally drained

Edited by Praying18Crim

Ah, I am now a bundle of nerves --I've had POIs tell me that I have an impressive set of materials, but it's not going to be real until I get a letter!

Applying to PhD at FSU,  Florida, South Florida, Georgia St., UMSL. It's a blend of policy/CJ-oriented departments and crim heavy. 

Good luck, everyone.

Hey all,

Just wanted to keep the ball rolling and drop a note to say that I got an acceptance letter from Albany on 1/8... The offer letter came a few days later, and it was very generous.

The letter specifically said I was admitted because my interests are a good fit within the department ("wrongful convictions, legal decision-making, survey methods").

I'm a second year master's student at American, and I only applied to Albany and AU's PhD programs.

My faculty advisor at AU is on the admissions committee, and he said that they won't even begin reviewing applications until early February.

I hope this helps - good luck to everyone!

Missouri-STL, Florida, Florida State, USF, Georgia State.

UMSL had the 1/20 deadline, the reset were 1/15. I've been in touch with a few people in each program. Early February is usually when they send out decisions and info. 

I feel confident about all of my application materials. The personal statement for FSU was the 500 word limit, so I feel meh about it, especially considering their recent #1 in the world ranking. 

FSU is the number 1 program in the world? With all due respect, Jinxstar, I do not think that is correct, and I do not know where you got that from. They have a good program, sure, but programs like Maryland, Albany, Cambridge, Melbourne, and the University of Toronto are much more esteemed programs than FSU. 

I received an acceptance via email to FSU on Thursday.  They will contact me regarding funding early February. woohoo! Said they've offered at least 20 acceptances. 

Still waiting on others. Early February seems to be when the heat is on.

Good luck to everyone else.

Hi all! I decided to finally go ahead and make an account, since I've basically been living on this website for the last month. Figured I would chime in here!

I applied to 7 different programs, and so far have heard back from and been accepted to 3: Temple, Albany, and George Mason. Still waiting to hear back from Maryland, Cincinnati, Rutgers, and ASU. 

saltyseathings, will you be attending Albany's Visiting Weekend? 

4 hours ago, Praying18Crim said:

Congrats LuckyB and Jinx! I got an email from MSU today. The committee handed in it's recommendations and decisions should be going out by the end of the week via email

I also applied to MSU but didn't get any emails about updates at all. Did a professor send you that or was it from their department email? I thought their deadline wasn't until February 1st!?