2018 App Cycle

5 hours ago, Luckyb said:

Update: on-campus interviews were extended today by phone, with emails to come shortly.

How did you hear about this? I haven't heard anything from UCI yet and I'm starting to get concerned everyone is getting these emails with updates (not necessarily acceptance/rejection) and I'm not!

59 minutes ago, Plzacceptme said:

I also applied to MSU but didn't get any emails about updates at all. Did a professor send you that or was it from their department email? I thought their deadline wasn't until February 1st!?

Correction: I see their deadline was January 10th. Either way, still curious why I didn't get the update email. Hopefully we hear something this week.

2 hours ago, Plzacceptme said:

How did you hear about this? I haven't heard anything from UCI yet and I'm starting to get concerned everyone is getting these emails with updates (not necessarily acceptance/rejection) and I'm not!

I received a call today with an invite to the event and an email followed this afternoon.

I recently made the decision to apply to schools for my doctorate, after having just finished my MS in criminal justice.  I am applying to schools whose admission deadline has not yet passed.  My GRE sores are weak.  Grad and undergrad GPAs not strong, but grad gpa is above minimum for all schools.  Grad admissions coordinator at one of my top schools seemed to be aggressively emailing to have me get my application materials in asap, to have me considered for funding.  I am not sure if this is a good sign as to whether my application has a good chance, or just her doing her job.  Also, I have five years+ working in probation/parole in a major city.  I was wondering the weight of industry experience in admissions decisions; anyone have any idea?

From what I read Harambe it doesn't hurt you. Real world experience can be a good thing, especially if you were active on designing a new program for parolees, etc. It just depends on the program.

Out of curiosity which program are you applying for? I thought everybody's was already closed.

Guys, I am an international student. Bs Psychology, I have a GPA of 2.8/4. GRE Q152 V150 AWA 3.5. I intend to pursue my Masters in Criminal Justice Fall 18. Given my low profile, can anybody help me schools that can accept my profile? I have applied to 3 schools already. Will appreciate more to increase my chances

Edited by Lollyij
Mistake

On 1/24/2018 at 1:23 PM, Lollyij said:

Guys, I am an international student. Bs Psychology, I have a GPA of 2.8/4. GRE Q152 V150 AWA 3.5. I intend to pursue my Masters in Criminal Justice Fall 18. Given my low profile, can anybody help me schools that can accept my profile? I have applied to 3 schools already. Will appreciate more to increase my chances

What schools have you applied for?

I'm a total basket case! I check my email at LEAST once every 5 minutes. And this whole process is all I talk about to anyone who will listen. As I previously mentioned, I've been accepted to a few places already (which I am very surprised by and thankful for) but it hasn't alleviated my stress/anxiety levels like I hoped it would. 

Anonymous and Praying18Crim---
I'm in that same boat on the constant refresh of the Results page, Reddit GradAdmissions, and the individual program portals. On my tablet. On my computer at work. On my phone.
I received an email about ten minutes ago from UofFlorida....requesting that I send my writing sample because the portal hadn't accepted it. D'oh! My heart jumped and I sent a reply in two minutes apologizing.

Good gracious, y'all, this may kill my heart, haha.

I meant to ask if anyone else is applying as a single parent. My son has ASD and behavioral concerns, so I worry about having a mentor who is not very patient about having to leave when there's a meltdown at his school. I am productive, in that I get my stuff done and there is solid work product, but I worry about the departments being frustrated if I have to tend to kiddo during the day.

Ugh, it's the WORST when the department sends something that isn't an actual acceptance or rejection but you totally think it is so there is that moment of panic, all for nothing... I've gotten a couple emails that are just generic "We will begin reviewing your application now! Thanks!" and I'm like PLEASE DON'T CONTACT ME UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING REAL TO SAY, GUYS. :blink:

I've definitely developed horrible stomach issues and insomnia in the last month going through all this! 

I am not a single parent but understand why you would be concerned about that. Did you mention your circumstances in your SoP? If so, they have to kind of understand what that entails if they accept you. I think it would be super helpful if you got placed with an advisor who is a parent! Not like that's really something you can request. (Or is it?)

1 hour ago, __Anonymous__ said:

I am not a single parent but understand why you would be concerned about that. Did you mention your circumstances in your SoP? If so, they have to kind of understand what that entails if they accept you. I think it would be super helpful if you got placed with an advisor who is a parent! Not like that's really something you can request. (Or is it?)

I did mention this in the SoP for all of the programs. I have a social support network in all but one of the cities, so that helps with childcare assistance, if needed. He's currently 8, so he's in school. 
I talked with one of my mentors from my undergrad/MSCJ program about this today. He did say that sometimes people get an advisor who is just a butthead all the time, and other times the advisor doesn't berate you, as long as the work is done. I've been very lucky to stay "in the room where it happens" here at my program by working as staff in the department during my time in the MS, and also since graduation--the access to insight and advice from my colleagues has been invaluable. I am nervous about leaving the nest here, so to speak.

Hey guys and gals! Just wanted to give an update on what i've heard from MSU. They are expecting to have emails out early next week. Hopefully they will be out Monday or Tuesday. Does anybody know if Albany has officially sent out all of their invites? I know a few people had posted earlier with acceptances, just wondering if that was only for a select few or for everybody, since I haven't gotten a response back from them.

I'm completely neurotic right now! I heard back from the University of Chicago (I applied to Social Work) and got in (woohoo!!) but ever since I got that decision I've been consumed with this! Has anyone heard anything from Maryland or Cincinnati or have any info on acceptance rates/number of people accepted to most programs? I know it's a long shot but I want to have some perspective on likelihood at this point, even if it's bad news.

One of our faculty members said an acceptance of 30 people isn't unheard of. FSU point of contact implied they have sent out around that many acceptances. Not sure how many have applied overall, though.

5 hours ago, Praying18Crim said:

Does anybody know if Albany has officially sent out all of their invites? I know a few people had posted earlier with acceptances, just wondering if that was only for a select few or for everybody, since I haven't gotten a response back from them.

Hey, I got my acceptance from them on January 8th, but I have no idea if they send them all out at once or do it in waves like I've heard some programs do. Sorry ? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

4 hours ago, Plzacceptme said:

I'm completely neurotic right now! I heard back from the University of Chicago (I applied to Social Work) and got in (woohoo!!) but ever since I got that decision I've been consumed with this! Has anyone heard anything from Maryland or Cincinnati or have any info on acceptance rates/number of people accepted to most programs? I know it's a long shot but I want to have some perspective on likelihood at this point, even if it's bad news.

Haha, isn't it so stupid how getting one acceptance makes you that much more frantic about hearing back from the other schools?! I had hoped it would have the opposite effect... Congrats on your acceptance! 

I applied to Maryland and Cincinnati and have not heard anything from either school. I have a strong hunch Cincinnati will send out acceptances next week though. 

For those applying to Georgia State, per the AYS Graduate Admissions contact, they usually do decisions around mid-Feb. 
USF has indicated the first week of February.
Florida seems to be in adcomm meeting season, based on the request for another version of my writing sample yesterday. I assume they're prepping files at this point.
I have no idea about UMSL except that they do a preview weekend in March.

For the shortest month, February is sure going to be marked by a whole lot of anxiety. I am not a fan.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, __Anonymous__ said:

On 1/26/2018 at 3:18 PM, Plzacceptme said:

On 1/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, __Anonymous__ said:

Haha, isn't it so stupid how getting one acceptance makes you that much more frantic about hearing back from the other schools?! I had hoped it would have the opposite effect... Congrats on your acceptance! 

I applied to Maryland and Cincinnati and have not heard anything from either school. I have a strong hunch Cincinnati will send out acceptances next week though. 

I think Maryland typically makes admissions pretty late, like sometime in early March. You can check the results page from last year to see when people received offers last year. 

On 1/26/2018 at 9:49 PM, Jinxstar said:

One of our faculty members said an acceptance of 30 people isn't unheard of. FSU point of contact implied they have sent out around that many acceptances. Not sure how many have applied overall, though.

So, they have accepted all the applicants they plan to admit to the program already?