Spanish Fall 2018

SlyManuel

Congrats to all who've received acceptance notifications! It looks like it's that time now that decisions are being made. Let me contribute to the good news by saying that I just received admission to the University of Chicago :D. Since I began my applications, I've had my sights on this school but thought it was out of my league. So this is a surprise but definitely well-received!

Hi everyone! 

I'm a bit late to the game but I figured it's better to join in later than never. 

I've applied to 9 PhD programs, though most of them in a different discipline. I've applied to Columbia's Latin American and Iberian Cultures PhD and to The University of Western Ontario's Hispanic Studies doctoral program. 

I think Columbia is a long shot (especially since my training is not in Spanish or literature, and also because it's Columbia!) but I'm excited to hear back from them and get the waiting over with! 

On 01/01/2018 at 8:27 AM, senorbrightside said:

I finished all my apps in early December since I had two due then. I'm interested mostly in Peninsular Literature with a focus on 20th and 21st century lit and film and Spanish Nationalism (Catalan, Basque, Gallego, Andaluz etc)...I applied to Illinois, Colorado-Boulder, Washington, Texas Tech, Toronto and McGill. It looks like we all have varied research interests. 

@senorbrightside if you're not from Montreal, I've been living/studying here for many years now and would be happy to give any pointers if you end up going to McGill! También apliqué a UofT, así que tal vez podemos estar en contacto más adelante. 

Good luck to everyone and my heartfelt congratulations to those already accepted! 

5 hours ago, Caravaggista said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm a bit late to the game but I figured it's better to join in later than never. 

I've applied to 9 PhD programs, though most of them in a different discipline. I've applied to Columbia's Latin American and Iberian Cultures PhD and to The University of Western Ontario's Hispanic Studies doctoral program. 

I think Columbia is a long shot (especially since my training is not in Spanish or literature, and also because it's Columbia!) but I'm excited to hear back from them and get the waiting over with! 

@senorbrightside if you're not from Montreal, I've been living/studying here for many years now and would be happy to give any pointers if you end up going to McGill! También apliqué a UofT, así que tal vez podemos estar en contacto más adelante. 

Good luck to everyone and my heartfelt congratulations to those already accepted! 

I applied to Columbia as well but have not heard anything from them yet! I imagine you want to work with Russo, so your lack of training in literature is probably not an issue :)

Edited by Imenol

@Caravaggista Mucha suerte con todas tus solicitudes ;) I will definitely ask you all about Montreal (If I speak English, Spanish and Catalán fluently and know some Italian, is it easy to fake French? For example!) if I get into McGill and end up there. But we could both end up at Toronto too! The thing about not hearing back from any place yet is that we still have the hopes and dreams to keep us occupied! You could be at Columbia still!

I just had my interview with Texas Tech. I think I would be happy in their department if I were to be accepted. They seem like great people. My fave profe from undergrad is now there. 

On 1/28/2018 at 12:50 AM, senorbrightside said:

I think "enhorabuena" is used more in Spain than other places. The best profes always retire but always come back. One of my faves keeps postponing his retirement. It'll be us one day, right? :D 

I'm definitely looking forward to it!

5 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

Hey, 

I haven't heard any decisions yet. The wait is killing me. 

Same here. I don't know if no news is good news or not. 

I've heard good things about the Michigan program, but I haven't heard of anything this year. Nothing on the results page so guessing no. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:25 AM, madamoiselle said:

Bonjour (hola!) from the French board :) Figured I'd pop over and see how this board was doing, just to say hello, and am pumped that so many of y'all are thinking about UT Austin! That was my alma mater (for French, naturally), but if you ever have any questions about the city or campus, please let me know. I know the language departments like the back of my hand, they're great -- and I miss ATX a bunch! 

Bonjour @madamoiselle! Cava? Congrats on your successes! What tips can you give about housing? 

On 1/31/2018 at 2:57 PM, Pacayas said:

How is everyone doing? Anyone hear from Michigan?

22 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

Same here. I don't know if no news is good news or not. 

I've heard good things about the Michigan program, but I haven't heard of anything this year. Nothing on the results page so guessing no. 

Hola Pacayas and senorbrightside! I just heard back from Michigan today. It was a big fat no. It's totally fine though. Although it's an excellent program, my research interests really didn't line up with the only professor who specializes in the Golden Age. 

1 hour ago, Flor de Liz said:

Hola Pacayas and senorbrightside! I just heard back from Michigan today. It was a big fat no. It's totally fine though. Although it's an excellent program, my research interests really didn't line up with the only professor who specializes in the Golden Age. 

Sorry you didn't get in, but at least you've heard from a place. The waiting is killing me. My fave profe from undergrad always said Michigan would be a dream school but extremely competitive so I didn't apply. As long as you get into a school that does line up with your interests! :) 

6 hours ago, Flor de Liz said:

Hey, I also got a no from them. I knew it was a long shot, especially since I do not have a M.A. in Spanish, even though I do have a M.A. in another discipline. This is definitely my dream school and I will be applying again after I complete a MA in Spanish.

Hi everyone!

Looks like you're all mostly literature concentrations, but I'm applying for MA in Hispanic Linguistics - UC Davis, U Arizona, UIC, UIUC, Indiana, NC State, and Ohio State. I did my undergrad at Indiana and know that you will all love the program and professors there!

So far I've heard just from UC Davis and NC State - is anyone else applying for linguistics programs?

11 hours ago, pochyuca said:

Hi everyone!

Looks like you're all mostly literature concentrations, but I'm applying for MA in Hispanic Linguistics - UC Davis, U Arizona, UIC, UIUC, Indiana, NC State, and Ohio State. I did my undergrad at Indiana and know that you will all love the program and professors there!

So far I've heard just from UC Davis and NC State - is anyone else applying for linguistics programs?

Lots of good programs here! I did my MA in Hispanic Linguistics at NC State. And the program at Indiana is really great as well! 

And a quick word of encouragement for everyone - keep hanging in there! Sending good thoughts to everyone applying!