Spanish Fall 2018

SlyManuel

One of my advisors told me once Pittsburgh is great on Latin American Literature. It has some really great professors in the department and since IILI is attached to the department, there is a lot of publishing activity going on and thus opportunities for actual hands on experience. But that was I once heard from an advisor, I have not actually been there or talked to anyone from  there.

1 hour ago, Visitacion said:

One of my advisors told me once Pittsburgh is great on Latin American Literature. It has some really great professors in the department and since IILI is attached to the department, there is a lot of publishing activity going on and thus opportunities for actual hands on experience. But that was I once heard from an advisor, I have not actually been there or talked to anyone from  there.

Thank you, Visitacion, it sounds great... that is nice picture of Pittsburgh.... I also have the impression that it is a great department. 

Lo siento, no sé nada de Pittsburgh :-/ I think the general consensus is it's a pretty good school.

I emailed Illinois-Urbana Champaign to confirm that I'm on the wait list...so it depends on how many spots, how many other strong applicants and how many people turn it down. Still waiting for the others...as UIUC said to email them mid-February I did, the others I'll try to be patient. I just want to know either way! Purgatory is worse than hell? :P 

I do live vicariously through everyone's good news :D And bad news too. 

8 hours ago, Caravaggista said:

Could the Columbia admit manifest her- or himself? I had my follow-up interview on Friday and seeing your post on the board gave me a mini-heart attack! Would you be so kind as to appease my anxiety? 

I also had my interview on Friday... I doubt they would send admissions on that day, to be honest. 

2 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

I got my first acceptance on Friday...McGill! However...without funding. However, I can apply for TAs and RAs, but they're not guaranteed. I'm going to see what this week brings. 

Congrats on the acceptance! 

Just so you know, and from what I've heard/seen at McGill, the TA application process is a bit tricky and regimented by seniority/priority lists, so it could potentially be very unlikely to score a TAship in your first year (or at all in the MA). Tal vez depende del departamento, pero no contaría en contratos de TA/RA para sobrevivir, sobre todo que universidades en Quebec pagan poco comparado a otras universidades canadienses. 

9 hours ago, Caravaggista said:

Congrats on the acceptance! 

Just so you know, and from what I've heard/seen at McGill, the TA application process is a bit tricky and regimented by seniority/priority lists, so it could potentially be very unlikely to score a TAship in your first year (or at all in the MA). Tal vez depende del departamento, pero no contaría en contratos de TA/RA para sobrevivir, sobre todo que universidades en Quebec pagan poco comparado a otras universidades canadienses. 

Gracias por la información. Es algo muy importante para considerar. Creo que si me aceptan en otra universidad, iré a la otra universidad...aunque me gustaría estar en Canadá, claro. Pero si no tengo el dinero sin entrar mucha deuda, no sé si merece la pena. If McGill is the only acceptance, I'm not sure what I'll do. 

Hola, I've been accepted in several Spanish/Latam Cultures programmes in the United Kingdom (have you considered those universities?). Scholarships are hard to get, I also received an offer from The University of Auckland (Latin American Studies, multidisciplinary approach including not only literature and film studies but also History, política, education and economy) including a very generous scholarship and no teaching responsabilities (however they give me the opportunity to teach at the Spanish departament with a weekly extra wage), funds for conferences, summer schools and exchange programs, and up to one year abroad for researching.

I think I'm going to take it... My other options are King's College London and Manchester. 

Help!

Should I choose a MA program that does not offer me funding but allows me to remain in my current well paid job, or a funded MA with a semi-low stipend a few states away?

I head back from Rutgers, which was my last school and it was a "thanks, but no thanks" kind of thing. With that, I have heard from my four schools, only two acceptances. 

Assuming both programs are equal (i.e. you think you could be happy and get a good education in both places), I would take the funded offer. Balancing full time work with the program would really put you at a disadvantage if you're going to apply to PhD programs after the MA. You wouldn't have anywhere near as much time to read or write. If you're not planning on pursuing the PhD, then I suppose that's not an issue. Even if the stipend is on the lower end, it frees you from having to work. Your time will 100% be your own to focus on your academic career.

9 hours ago, Bleep_Bloop said:

Assuming both programs are equal (i.e. you think you could be happy and get a good education in both places), I would take the funded offer. Balancing full time work with the program would really put you at a disadvantage if you're going to apply to PhD programs after the MA. You wouldn't have anywhere near as much time to read or write. If you're not planning on pursuing the PhD, then I suppose that's not an issue. Even if the stipend is on the lower end, it frees you from having to work. Your time will 100% be your own to focus on your academic career.

I am planning to go on to a PhD program. 

Thank you. Everything you said made sense. 

I'm still in limbo. 1 acceptance without funding...so it's most likely a no-go, one wait list, four no sé nada pero nada. I don't know if I should e-mail them, as there hasn't been any accepts or rejects on the board from them...be patient (not my strong point)...one says results should be made by late-February on their web site.

I'm bracing myself for the strong possibility of not doing the M.A. while trying to keep a positive outlook and hope alive. Do I still have hope? 

¿Hay alguien más que no sabe nada? 

No te desesperes, en nada ayuda a tu causa. Aunque todavía no he decidido dónde voy a ir, sí he decidido donde no voy a ir. Hoy le escribo a esos programas donde no voy porque me parece lo ético hacerlo cuanto antes si ya estoy seguro de que por ahí no voy; para ayudar a los estudiantes que están en listas de espera y a los mismos administradores que también deben de tener su estrés. Sé de otras personas que están en las mismas así que quién sabe si pronto envían una segunda vuelta de ofertas por ahi. Dicho esto, consulta con asesor o tutor académico y está abierto a cualquier eventualidad. El mundillo académico es bien complicado y hay que estar preparado para cualquier cosa. Todo este proceso de admisiones para mi resultó de verdad una experiencia traumática que en diciembre y enero me llenó de ansiedad y depresión...pero al final todo salió bien...

On 2/8/2018 at 3:12 PM, Flor de Liz said:

Hey everyone! I just want to give you all an update. I got a rejection from Northwestern over the weekend. I also received an e-mail from Wisconsin-Madison to set up a time for an "informal conversation" that would lead to admission if it goes well. However, I've already made the choice to attend another school so I turned down the invitation. 

How is everyone else holding up? 

Hey @Flor de Liz! I also got turned down by Northwestern.... sad.  But the nice thing is that the professor I had been in communication with followed up with a personal email of encouragement.

To share some of my good news with the forum, so far I have received an acceptance from OSU, UT Austin, UCSD, and Vanderbilt with funding. I got rejected at UCLA and Washington University in St. Louis, and am still waiting to hear back from Columbia, Stanford, Notre Dame, and Tulane. 

This process has been extremely stressful for me-- I just wanted to share some good news and send my best wishes to everyone here!

Fuerza, amigos!!! 

2 hours ago, mardeleon said:

Hey @Flor de Liz! I also got turned down by Northwestern.... sad.  But the nice thing is that the professor I had been in communication with followed up with a personal email of encouragement.

To share some of my good news with the forum, so far I have received an acceptance from OSU, UT Austin, UCSD, and Vanderbilt with funding. I got rejected at UCLA and Washington St. Louis, and am still waiting to hear back from Columbia, Stanford, Notre Dame, and Tulane. 

This process has been extremely stressful for me-- I just wanted to share some good news and send my best wishes to everyone here!

Fuerza, amigos!!! 

That is an awesome list of acceptances. I know a lot of people who applied and have applied in the past to UT Austin and been rejected. They are very selective from what I hear. Also, VANDERBILT!?!? Tell me that is where you are leaning towards to!! They have an awesome program and great faculty.

Congrats!!!

Gracias, UW...otro rechazo.

Two rejections now (UW, Colorado-Boulder)
One wait list (UIUC)
One accept without funding (McGill)
Two pending (Toronto, Texas Tech).

I'm just counting on not going to grad school now. It's easier to deal with than dashed hopes. This is technically my third cycle. I applied in 2008 when I finished undergrad with my second degree to 3...all 3 rejections. Last year I applied to one as I only had money for one application, accepted but funding fell through. I know something can come through with the wait list or the two pending, but I've just lost all hope. Ya tengo 36...collons. Aunque estaba esperándolo, me duele. 

Edited by senorbrightside