The waiting game: How have you been keeping busy?

KevinJHa

39 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Still checking my application pages everyday and still see the same damn green Submitted.

It's cool some people are hearing back from schools already, but it seems like these schools are mostly central and west coast. Can't wait to start seeing some east coast results.

I'd kill to see something other than "submitted" right now. 

I keep getting emails soliciting my application from Northeastern, but they come in on my phone hella early in the morning, so my sleepy brain thinks it's Northwestern and I end up jumping out of my skin thinking I have news from them--no such luck. :mellow:

52 minutes ago, latemeg said:

I keep getting emails soliciting my application from Northeastern, but they come in on my phone hella early in the morning, so my sleepy brain thinks it's Northwestern and I end up jumping out of my skin thinking I have news from them--no such luck. :mellow:

Historically, the next few days (the next week or so) is when a high volume of decisions come in. I'm itching for Stanford results to come in because they come out this weekend..theoretically. Penn State has been quiet and so has UPenn!

56 minutes ago, latemeg said:

Haha oh my god I'm so sorry, I'd be so disappointed. 

5 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Historically, the next few days (the next week or so) is when a high volume of decisions come in. I'm itching for Stanford results to come in because they come out this weekend..theoretically. Penn State has been quiet and so has UPenn!

Oh really? This is my first cycle and all ive heard is decisions typically come out in March and April, so its very interesting to see people getting results so soon. I REALLY hope we hear something next week. I'd even take a small confirmation saying that they're reviewing my application haha.

24 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Oh really? This is my first cycle and all ive heard is decisions typically come out in March and April, so its very interesting to see people getting results so soon. I REALLY hope we hear something next week. I'd even take a small confirmation saying that they're reviewing my application haha.

Yeah. Usually when its toward the end January, acceptances/interviews become more frequent. The high volume goes into maybe late February/early March. By that time, it's campus visit time where some students have accepted an offer to their "dream school" or in Notre Dame's case, it when they send out acceptances that were based on campus visits.

It's nerve wracking especially having an ideal timeline of when things pick up.

3 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

Yeah. Usually when its toward the end January, acceptances/interviews become more frequent. The high volume goes into maybe late February/early March.

Yeh, I mean the results survey isn’t perfect but it really is a good idea to look at that to get a sense of when schools might reply. Some of them certainly track the same few days for a few years, which is useful to know 

7 hours ago, latemeg said:

Oh my gosh, same here! I keep getting email solicitations with "Sociology" or "Application" in the subject line and every. single. one. makes me just about jump out of my skin! All false alarms though. At least I know my epinephrine production is working! :D

17 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Lmao I got a phone call from an unknown number today and hoping it was a school answered quickly -- turns out it was just an advertisement. 

I get my heart broken every day.

It's okay. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

22 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

I'm itching for Stanford results to come in because they come out this weekend..theoretically.

Really? Looking back wouldn't it not be for a few more weeks?

On 1/17/2018 at 1:12 PM, latemeg said:

SAME! I actually unsubscribed from all Northeastern emails because I got tired of that feeling hahah

I got an email from Law and Society Association this morning saying that I'll be presenting parts of my MA thesis at the conference this year. Anybody else heading to Toronto in June? Not really sure that there are many socio-legal folks on the board this year.

My routine in Jan (probably also in Feb)

1. Go back to my office in the morning

2. Switch on the desktop and check my apps and see the Submitted status

3. Check gradcafe

4. Buy a cup of coffee and start to work with very loose attention, don't even know what the hell I am doing

5. Lunch with my colleagues and answer "No" or "Nothing" in response to their question "Any news?" every day

6. Before leaving my office in the evening, see Submitted again

7. Back to home, Video game till 2am as I can't sleep

2 hours ago, socihk said:

3. Check gradcafe

4. Buy a cup of coffee and start to work with very loose attention, don't even know what the hell I am doing

5. Lunch with my colleagues and answer "No" or "Nothing" in response to their question "Any news?" every day

Lord, that sounds like my day... EVERY. SINGLE. DAMN. DAY.

I’m on holiday rn and it’s terrible. We are exactly 12 hours ahead of the US so decisions come in overnight. I wake up expecting news and nothing :(

Also dumb question but I’ve been assuming that I’ll get emails if my application status changes so I’ve not really been checking the pages ... is that bad?

13 minutes ago, abenz said:

Also dumb question but I’ve been assuming that I’ll get emails if my application status changes so I’ve not really been checking the pages ... is that bad?

@abenz

It depends. Some schools will notify small changes like materials being received, etc. But usually the magic e-mail is the e-mail saying to check the decision has been made. Does that help? Some schools even e-mail from the department itself. 

Thanks @pinoysoc, I just meant that besides checking the pages to see all my documents have been received, there’s not really much point logging in every day as they’ll notify us by email to check the pages once they’ve made a decision ...

2 hours ago, hope_1 said:

Anyone knows what time of the day the results are usually released...? I decided to stop refreshing pages every minute after 10 am, but still I'm waiting for any alarm from mail notifications. It felt like I'm a nervous wreck. 

I'm not sure but it seems like most people are posting results around noon -- so I assume around the morning.

So anyway this morning in an obsessive frenzy, I decided to call the admissions offices of all the schools I applied to and ask about timelines.

Here's what I was told:

CUNY Graduate Center - End of January, beginning of February

Princeton - End of February 

Harvard - Starting end of Febuary, all decisions out by March 15.

Columbia - No comment

Boston University - March/April

NYU - End of February 

Northeastern - February/March 

Yale - Febuary/March

Anyway didn't really learn anything new but I liked the feeling of control I got again when I was calling my schools haha.

13 hours ago, socihk said:

3. Check gradcafe

LOL this has been nearly my response almost every day since mid-December (except sub buying coffee for using a french press at my desk, responding "no moves have been made" when my co-workers ask, and binge-reading fiction until 2am).

The waiting is terrible. Food is bland, sleep is scant, and I'm driving my roommates crazy with my constant worrying. 

Hope y'all are holding up okay. Sending positive vibes and optimistic thoughts to everyone.