Paper got Accepted after Submitting Application for Ph.D. Admission

xisan92

Question

Hello everyone,

I need a suggestion about a situation.

I submitted applications for Ph.D. program in 2-3 institute. While submitting my application, I had one manuscript that was under review in a journal. So, I listed that article as 'In review' in my CV. The article got accepted today for publication. Now, is there any way I can update it in my application?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

I had a similar thing happen and I sent this email to each of my MPH admission accounts:

Title: Recent Publication

Hello xxx Admissions Team,

I am reaching out to let you know that my first-author review article titled  "xxx" has recently been accepted to xxx and published for early access online. If you have an interest in accessing the article, it can be found at this link: (insert link)

I will also attach a PDF that can be placed with my application. I am looking forward to hearing back regarding admission decisions soon!

Thank you very much,
(your name)

For the schools where I had already been accepted but had not yet heard about scholarships I amended "admission decisions" to "scholarship decisions"

I would not be sending anything to the ADCOMs or any university. It can be seen as unprofessional, especially since the deadline past and the ADCOMs are starting to meet. The unfortunate part of academia is that deadlines and advances in your career may not always line up. I had a similar situation, however, I did not list "in review" because I did not want to appear as if I was CV-packing. Instead, I spoke to my recommenders and had them update their LoRs just prior to them submitting. My recommenders were extremely excited that my article was "accepted" which they could point to as further proof of my capabilities.

Edited by Tigla

On 1/10/2018 at 11:38 AM, Cassatrass said:

I had a similar thing happen and I sent this email to each of my MPH admission accounts:

Title: Recent Publication

Hello xxx Admissions Team,

I am reaching out to let you know that my first-author review article titled  "xxx" has recently been accepted to xxx and published for early access online. If you have an interest in accessing the article, it can be found at this link: (insert link)

I will also attach a PDF that can be placed with my application. I am looking forward to hearing back regarding admission decisions soon!

Thank you very much,
(your name)

For the schools where I had already been accepted but had not yet heard about scholarships I amended "admission decisions" to "scholarship decisions"

I think this is by far the best answer. You don't want to send an updated version of your CV ("there's something new here: find it!"), and in my experience admission committees are always happy to have the updated information to base their decision on. In no way is it unprofessional to let them know about a major update like that. 

I had a similar situation, not with a paper but with a fellowship announcement. I actually called the admissions point of contact and told him verbally. He congratulated me and asked that I send him an email with the information so that he could include it in my application packet to be given to the interviewers and admissions committee.  So I'd say the advice from Cassatrass is perfect!

I would also add that you could bring an updated CV with you to your interviews (print out multiple copies and carry them in a folder along with a notepad to take notes).  Then you can hand the CV to your interviewer and say "I've brought an updated resume with me. It includes my recently accepted publication."