I have this sinking feeling that things aren't going to go well for me. I just hope I get the letter tomorrow, so I can be put out of my misery.

I'm definitely getting that feeling, too, despite the promises to myself that I wouldn't go all hyper-pessimistic.

Really, REALLY wishing that my letter had arrived today with the rest of the Montreal ones. I'm bordering on a panic attack at this point. :/

Edited by Compoe

Just saw up there someone got super SSHRC with 18.7! Maybe that's a good sign for 18.5?

I think the cutoffs vary according to disciplinary committee. But be hopeful!

Edited by Ludwig von Dracula

I have this sinking feeling that things aren't going to go well for me. I just hope I get the letter tomorrow, so I can be put out of my misery.

Same here. I just don't feel good about this.

Same here... not feeling so hot right about now.

Seems other GTA-ers are getting their letters... really wish I had mine too so that I can relax... whatever the outcome.

Sorry to hear that DMMS18, although it leaves room for hope so don't despair! Out of curiosity do they tell you in which position you are on the waiting list for the SSHRC?

to everybody else: I think that overall, these results so far show that no matter how much we speculate about that kind of stuff, we don't know until we get the letters :). For instance, some were claiming that the chances to be selected if your school had selected you were pretty good. In my case, that's really not how it went. I'm currently in the acceptance phase where I want to call up my school and ask them whether they forgot to mail half of my application or something considering the fact that I have a very low score. It's pretty much like I feel somebody else should have been selected because their chances would have been better than mine in this process.

Anyway, tonight I will raise my glass to quench my sorrows and have a thought for all those who share my misery and for all those who were selected, for whom I sincerely wish all the best and am sure they more than deserved to be selected! (it just sucks that I didn't get it :P )

Wait listed 16.7.

Wonder what my chances are. Also #1 on the wait list for FQRSC... More waiting for me.

Ah, hell. :(

I wonder if I'll be joining you on the mutliple-waitlist fun ride tomorrow.

I think the cutoffs vary according to disciplinary committee. But be hopeful!

That makes sense. I'm in the Social Sciences and in my particular discipline we're not expected to publish a lot (for example) in the MA, hence why an 18.7 could be low compared to other scores, but still good enough for my discipline to guarantee a super SSHRC apparently.

But people in the waitlist, don't lose hope! There's always a good amount of rejections every year in lieu of other big scholarships.

Edited by electrochoc

Anybody west of Ontario get anything in the mail yet? Who said that patience is a virtue .... ?

Nothing as of yet here in MB... hopefully tomorrow. My choice of school in the fall totally hinges on this news, I can't stand the uncertainty anymore!

Late mail delivery in my neighbourhood (Toronto West End) and sadly got a rejection letter (not waitlisted).

Has anyone found a description of what is considered a high/low score? This was my first year applying so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm sorry. It's so weird with the higher score, maybe it's the budget cuts. They don't realize how much these cuts can change the life of a phd student.

Yeah, it's kind of shocking for me, considering the fact that my score was FOUR points (that's whole numbers, not decimal places), higher than last year (when I did get on the waiting list). My score is also higher than others in different disciplines who actually got lower scores than me, but who got waitlist letters today (two friends in another department at the same uni as me). I'm blaming it on a combination of brutal competition in my particular field and the federal budget cuts. Any way you slice it, it's crappy. However, I'm still holding positivity for OGS funding (my track record with them has been great).

I wanted to compare the scores and such so I put this little table together (hope the formatting works). Perhaps folks will find this interesting and update their info (?). These are some pretty sobering statistics from a pretty brutal process (imho). I was waitlist last year with a score of 14.9. It looks like we’ll need to score much higher this year to have a chance. Here’s the butcher's bill so far:

Applicant, Status, Score, Discipline

Cancomm, Offered CGS, 18.5, Communications

bedalia, Offered CGS / Will decline (good!), 21.15, ?

Deezkneezm, Offered CGS / downgrade to fellowship, 26.6, History of Christianity

CassandraC, Offered fellowship, 25.8, ?

electrochoc, Offered CGS, 18.7?

Andsowego, Not successful, ?, ?

ducon_lajoie, Not successful, ?, ?

soimpossible618, Offered Fellowship, 22.95, English Literature

Blurry, Waitlisted, 18.5, Philosophy

DMMS18, Waitlisted, 16.7, ?

Howmuchlonger, Not successful, ?, Social theory and health

Edited by canukulhead

I wanted to compare the scores and such so I put this little table together (hope the formatting works). Perhaps folks will find this interesting and update their info (?). These are some pretty sobering statistics from a pretty brutal process (imho). I was waitlist last year with a score of 14.9. It looks like we’ll need to score much higher this year to have a chance. Here’s the butcher's bill so far:

Deezkneezm, Offered CGS / downgrade to fellowship, 26.6, History of Christianity

I'm in interdisciplinary studies applying for PoliSci phd if it helps. So weird how cutoff scores vary so much according to disciplines. I guess they expect different things from different areas right..

I'm in Sociology.

FYI: No incoming SSHRC mail out here on the West Coast today. Just got back from the Vancouver postal distribution hub at Canada Post.

DMMS18, Waitlisted, 16.7, Psychology

I am in Waterloo and I got my letter today. I was successful with a score of 27.7, which gave me a SSHRC-CGS. Best of luck to everyone still waiting, and my sincerest condolences to those who got bad news today.

I'm in Public Health, but applied to Urban and Regional Studies, Environmental studies. My score was 16.9.

Ummm ya. I’m not sure if this is actually interesting or just a way to keep myself occupied in these trying times. It may not be possible to determine from this limited sample, but I’d like to see if we can figure out where the “cutoff” was for the two evaluation committees I’m most interested in. I could have gone with either the Political Science committee or the Geography committee (my field is political geography). I’ll target the least competitive committee next year if I need to. SSHRC math!

Deezkneezm Offered CGS / downgrade to fellowship, 26.6, History of Christianity

CassandraC, Offered fellowship, 25.8, Sociology

electrochoc, Offered CGS, 18.7, Political Science

DMMS18, Waitlisted, 16.7, Psychology

Howmuchlonger, Not successful, 16.9, Urban and Region Studies (yea planning!)

avsilver, Offered CGS, 27.7, MES in Geography

Edited by canukulhead

I did not yet receive a letter. I'm in Kingston. I thought for sure if applicants in Toronto and Montreal received letters that those in Kingston would too. Perhaps some letters were sent out on Thursday of last week and another batch sent out on Friday. That could maybe explain the 'delay' for some of us.

The competition seems tougher this year. It seems that fewer scholarships were awarded and higher scores are needed.

Hi all,

Congrats and condolences to those who were lucky enough to win an award or unlucky enough not to in this crapshoot!

Here's my info for the records:

CGS

21.7/30

English lit

No pubs or conferences

Direct applicant

Best to everyone!

Edited by ZoSo 4

I just want to comment on the scores. They are not specific to a field, because the committees are inter-disciplinary. In my case, I think that the composition is: economics, law, business and political science. There are two or three such inter-disciplinary committees for every group of fields. The cut-off in each committee will be different, so any comparison in the same field or even across time is not very meaningful. If you want to know your rank on the waitlist, contact SSHRC in two or three weeks.

On the budget cut, SSHRC was not really cut: "Organizations within the portfolio related to science and technology (the National Research Council of Canada and two of the three federal granting councils) have ensured that programming in support of basic research, student scholarships, and industry-related research initiatives and collaborations are preserved." Source: http://www.budget.gc.ca/2012/rd-dc/brief-bref-2012-eng.pdf

For people in Kingston, the letters should be coming tomorrow. Last year, we were one day behind.

Best of luck to everybody!