Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

i haven't heard back either hitomimay, so i'm assuming i'm out too! it's not my first choice, so i'm not bummed. nonetheless, rejection always stings!

On a more silly completely in-denial moment... it depends on the program? Some other PhD programs heard almost 3 days for acceptances after a different Education program... so until there's no news, it's still good news?

Yeah, that's sounded really stupid even as I typed this. Lol

On a more silly completely in-denial moment... it depends on the program? Some other PhD programs heard almost 3 days for acceptances after a different Education program... so until there's no news, it's still good news?

i agree with you! I guess I'm more of a pessimist, but you're right...until there's news, let's assume it's good news :)

We are neurotic and should go to bed. Look at us in this crazy hour. :P

By the way, is there any way to check our application status online? I only have an "Activity Page", is that probably what we should look at? Or do you think we'll get an e-mail regarding notifications?

Edited by hitomimay

By reading just this thread I have found that there is no rhyme or reason for how the individual "colleges" put out acceptances or rejections. Some dont get interviewed and get letters in the mail, some get interviews and dont hear responses, some get rejections over email, some get notices of status updates, and some of us just spin trying to figure things out.

Also I think that before FEB 15th who ever has gotten an acceptance made it to the top of a list very quickly. Someone was looking for your app and they read it, or it was flagged because of some special quality you have, that your POI likes in you. At the end of the day, if we choose to believe this or not, we are still 6 days early on all letters, those of us who have answers should be thanking our lucky stars. The rest of us, we are applicants waiting.................lets keep our heads up and hope that something pulls through on the other end of March.

As for SUSE, UCLA lets keep fighting tooth and nail, unitl we find out a firm answer, personally I feel I still have a shot at all the schools I havent heard answers from.

congrats wildviolet!! hopefully you will make it off the waitlist (assuming it's your top choice).

i haven't heard back either hitomimay, so i'm assuming i'm out too! it's not my first choice, so i'm not bummed. nonetheless, rejection always stings!

No, it's not my top choice for a few reasons. The cost of living in the South Bay is incredibly high compared to other places--I don't think I could make it there on a grad student stipend because I also have to consider living conditions for my two young kids. I think my stipend would go much farther in a place like Michigan or Texas. :)

Edited by wildviolet

By reading just this thread I have found that there is no rhyme or reason for how the individual "colleges" put out acceptances or rejections. Some dont get interviewed and get letters in the mail, some get interviews and dont hear responses, some get rejections over email, some get notices of status updates, and some of us just spin trying to figure things out.

Also I think that before FEB 15th who ever has gotten an acceptance made it to the top of a list very quickly. Someone was looking for your app and they read it, or it was flagged because of some special quality you have, that your POI likes in you. At the end of the day, if we choose to believe this or not, we are still 6 days early on all letters, those of us who have answers should be thanking our lucky stars. The rest of us, we are applicants waiting.................lets keep our heads up and hope that something pulls through on the other end of March.

As for SUSE, UCLA lets keep fighting tooth and nail, unitl we find out a firm answer, personally I feel I still have a shot at all the schools I havent heard answers from.

I agree.

For MSU, I didn't mention any POIs, and I didn't contact any of the professors, and I received a fully funded offer in early January. For Stanford, I did contact my POI early in the application process, and we had an informal phone chat to discuss my background and research interests.

So, until you actually hear back, don't assume anything! And, good luck! :)

I didn't, so I'm assuming it's a bad sign. However, I didn't have an interview with UCLA and was accepted so I was hopin'! Did you have an interview with a professor wildviolet?

Yes, I did. Not really an interview, more like an informal phone chat. I think the POI just wanted to make sure I was a coherent person who could talk about my background and research interests!

No, it's not my top choice for a few reasons. The cost of living in the South Bay is incredibly high compared to other places--I don't think I could make it there on a grad student stipend because I also have to consider living conditions for my two young kids. I think my stipend would go much farther in a place like Michigan or Texas. :)

I agree with you about crazy cost of living in South Bay. I'm also planning to have a family soon and my partner and I don't think we'll be able to raise a family on one income in that part of the country! It's interesting how as undergrads, we'd go to the best school we can get in to regardless to these considerations and as adults, it's so much more complicated--the best for you isn't necessarily the best for your family. Good luck with your endeavors!

Great point dm242! You are the voice of reason that drags us out of our spiraling abyss of pessimism and self doubt :)

Congrats captainwombat27 and wildviolet!!!

Hear, hear dm242. Definitely still early in the game with lots of decisions to be made.

Congrats again to everyone who has heard positive news and good luck to anyone still waiting!

By reading just this thread I have found that there is no rhyme or reason for how the individual "colleges" put out acceptances or rejections. Some dont get interviewed and get letters in the mail, some get interviews and dont hear responses, some get rejections over email, some get notices of status updates, and some of us just spin trying to figure things out. Also I think that before FEB 15th who ever has gotten an acceptance made it to the top of a list very quickly. Someone was looking for your app and they read it, or it was flagged because of some special quality you have, that your POI likes in you. At the end of the day, if we choose to believe this or not, we are still 6 days early on all letters, those of us who have answers should be thanking our lucky stars. The rest of us, we are applicants waiting.................lets keep our heads up and hope that something pulls through on the other end of March. As for SUSE, UCLA lets keep fighting tooth and nail, unitl we find out a firm answer, personally I feel I still have a shot at all the schools I havent heard answers from.

Very positive way of looking at it! :wub:

Rejected from SUSE SHIPS, no go on sending to POLS either as some had the chance. Oh well. Hopefully I still hear from some of my others on the positive. For everyone who did make it in, good luck and congrats. For the rest of us who did not make it in, really its SUSE we cant be sad at all, it like the hardest ED school to get into.

i bet USC is lookin pretty sweet for u at this point! Forget that rejection... CONGRATS on USC, girl! :) that is no small feat

Thanks cacao to cacao and wildviolet. Appreciate the sentiments. Thankfully wasn't crushed, and it's all cuz USC was there to prop me back up lol. It was meant to be, I swear. I got home today after SUSE's rejection, checked my mailbox, and this large envelope from USC regarding my funding came, and it had a letter saying congrats again.

It was as if USC was saying to me "it's okay about SUSE, at least we love you very much" lol." <3

Edited by hitomimay

Thanks cacao to cacao and wildviolet. Appreciate the sentiments. Thankfully wasn't crushed, and it's all cuz USC was there to prop me back up lol. It was meant to be, I swear. I got home, checked my mailbox, and this large envelope from USC regarding my funding came, and it had a letter saying congrats again.

It was as if USC was saying to me "it's okay about SUSE, at least we love you very much" lol." <3

That's how I feel about MSU. Que sera sera, right?

I guess I've been pseudo-lurking on this post. Only not really. I've just been super busy, so when I try to catch up, I'm always so many steps behind that I don't really know what's going on. From what I can gather, it seems that several people have heard wonderful news, which is awesome!! Congrats to all folks who were accepted and waitlisted. In addition, something has to be said for receiving rejection info. I'm not saying these are easy, but it seems like at least knowing might help. On Tuesday evening (2/7) and all day Wednesday (2/8), I had my visit/interview at Emory and it went well. I'll keep you posted on that. My heart is in Madison and I will keep you posted when I hear something. Good luck to everyone. :)

Edited by litjust

Rejected from Stanford. No surprise, as I wasn't invited to interview (not that interviewing is a perfect indicator).

wildviolet, good luck on getting in off the WL!

I don't know about this... how do you all feel about being wait listed?

I kind of feel like, if I did get off the wait list and was accepted and chose to attend, that I would somehow always feel "second best" because I wasn't selected initially. It may just be me and my personality, but I want to be at a place where I'm wanted, not where I was the alternate. Does that make any sense when the competition is so stiff and the institution is a top school? Or am I just trying to assuage my bruised ego?

I think the other thing about the rejections from Stanford is that most of you seem to have applied to Higher Ed or Ed Policy, which is pretty tough, I think. My field is Science Ed, which is very different as there are only two professors in Science Ed at Stanford.

Anyway, trying to sort through my feelings about this... I didn't realize how emotional this whole process would be.

I don't know about this... how do you all feel about being wait listed?

I kind of feel like, if I did get off the wait list and was accepted and chose to attend, that I would somehow always feel "second best" because I wasn't selected initially. It may just be me and my personality, but I want to be at a place where I'm wanted, not where I was the alternate. Does that make any sense when the competition is so stiff and the institution is a top school? Or am I just trying to assuage my bruised ego?

I think the other thing about the rejections from Stanford is that most of you seem to have applied to Higher Ed or Ed Policy, which is pretty tough, I think. My field is Science Ed, which is very different as there are only two professors in Science Ed at Stanford.

Anyway, trying to sort through my feelings about this... I didn't realize how emotional this whole process would be.

I can't say I completely understand this situation, because I'm not in it, but I can certainly empathize with you and try to share some of my thoughts. The terrible thing about the whole process is it creates so much competition, which I can't stand in general. Still, I hope you can find another way to look at the situation, if you are accepted, aside from thinking of yourself as "second best." I don't think that's true at all. I still believe everything is about fit, but say there are only 5 spots and even though 7 phenomenal people apply, the reality is: there are still really only 5 spots. So, it becomes a difficult decision for the adcomm. They know all of the people they make offers to won't accept, because everyone has their number one choice (which may or might not be Stanford for those who were accepted). I wouldn't go through all the reasons why you're on the wait list and not one of the initial offers. However, they didn't reject you, which means that they still want you. And once you're there, working with who you want and doing all sorts of phenomenal work, the wait list won't mean anything.