Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

Hi everyone!

I've been ignoring gradcafe because it felt like picking a sore (the waiting process and reading everyone's updates that is), but I thought I would share now that I have heard something--I got a call from a prof I wanted to work with from UCLA a couple days ago congratulating me on my acceptance! I am VERY excited because UCLA is one of my top choices!! I am shocked that they got back so soon so kudos to UCLA adcomm.

Btw, I'm so neurotic that I"m thinking someone prank called me since I haven't received the official packet and the decision is not up on the website! If the case, I'll update you soon.

Good luck everyone :)

keepswimming, congrats on your acceptance to UCLA! This sounds amazing! I also applied there to the PhD in SRM, but haven't heard anything back from them yet... When I called. the program cooridnator told me we should hear from them some time in early March... May I ask which program you applied to?

I'm a teacher and my students insisted I read this, especially since the movie is coming out - middle school logic

Haha, my high schoolers have the same logic. But I love how it gives us something to talk about besides just class content: promotes literacy AND relationship building. Well whaddya know <3. It's like a race to finish the book first (they don't know it, but I've read it just about 3x now, but they're like, haha! I'm beating you!!! :D)

LOL I have to laugh too. It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point. I love all of the support from you guys. It's been keeping me relatively sane.

Not a problem, I couldn't survive this waiting period alone. While GradCafe makes me go insane since I never forget about this crazy waiting period and what it means for my future (dun dun dun), you guys on GradCafe are the basis for keeping me sane. Oh the irony. :D

Do I know that Penn doesn't make decisions at midnight? Yes.

Do I still continually check my status anyway? Absolutely.

Haha, oh please, try knowing my West Coast schools don't make decisions at midnight, checking my status anyway... on East Coast time. I've lost so much sleep over this, I'm up around 3AM half the time checking. ><'' lol

Edited by hitomimay

Haha, oh please, try knowing my West Coast schools don't make decisions at midnight, checking my status anyway... on East Coast time. I've lost so much sleep over this, I'm up around 3AM half the time checking. ><'' lol

This is the best. lmfao

It's worse than any breakup I've been through!

Geez... Yesterday someone asked me what applying to grad school was like and I replied, "It's hell...like a living nightmare." And then there was a really awkward silence and we just drank our beers. Sigh....

Geez... Yesterday someone asked me what applying to grad school was like and I replied, "It's hell...like a living nightmare." And then there was a really awkward silence and we just drank our beers. Sigh....

LOL. See, I always thought it was the applications that were going to be hell. But heck, once you wrote your SOP, took your GREs, everything was pretty much coasting from there. I never thought doing NOTHING would be the hardest part of all. Who knew? Lol

*walks into work....

co-worker says, "soo, have you heard anything yet?"

I reply, "no but all these people are hearing back and I think i'm close but who knows and i'm just waiting patiently so we'll see i dunno maybe i'll hear back soon! i'll be sure to let you know i'm so excited omg i hope i get in! but i don't know we'll see all these people are hearing back and I think i'm good but you know...."

co-worker, nodding yes out of politeness and as soon as I'm done rambling they're already out of sight..

LOL

I'm a wreck.

Me too! I'm reading the Hunger Games series (I'm a teacher and my students insisted I read this, especially since the movie is coming out - middle school logic) and I'm on the second book. I actually enjoy them. In my grown up life, I'm reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. Have you seen any good films lately? I'm such an indie/foreign film junkie :)

I have all three Hunger Games books waiting on my bookshelf. I'm teaching middle school this year, too. Sixth grade.

LOL. See, I always thought it was the applications that were going to be hell. But heck, once you wrote your SOP, took your GREs, everything was pretty much coasting from there. I never thought doing NOTHING would be the hardest part of all. Who knew? Lol

So true. I'm trying to distract myself, but it's no use. The waiting is absolutely killing me!!!

LOL. My solution? I've started spring cleaning a season early...

*walks into work....

co-worker says, "soo, have you heard anything yet?"

I reply, "no but all these people are hearing back and I think i'm close but who knows and i'm just waiting patiently so we'll see i dunno maybe i'll hear back soon! i'll be sure to let you know i'm so excited omg i hope i get in! but i don't know we'll see all these people are hearing back and I think i'm good but you know...."

co-worker, nodding yes out of politeness and as soon as I'm done rambling they're already out of sight..

LOL

I'm a wreck.

Ha! Yeah, I forget that when people ask how I'm doing that I'm just supposed give the generic "I'm fine" and wait till I get home to tell the folks on GradCafe the truth. lol

LOL. My solution? I've started spring cleaning a season early...

Ha! Yeah, I forget that when people ask how I'm doing that I'm just supposed give the generic "I'm fine" and wait till I get home to tell the folks on GradCafe the truth. lol

Awesome. Yeah I just sold super old snowboarding gear (boots, board & bindings) on Craigslist earlier this week. Now getting ready to sell more stuff that has just been sitting in storage. Spring cleaning = selling all my crap. =P

tli -- I applied to the SRM program too! Any idea when they'll start notifying?

Also, my interview at USC went really well last night! :) I think it might have been an unofficial acceptance! *fingers crossed* They said that they will try to get notifications out on Feb. 1, so not too much longer! :)

Also, my interview at USC went really well last night! :) I think it might have been an unofficial acceptance! *fingers crossed* They said that they will try to get notifications out on Feb. 1, so not too much longer! :)

wannabeaphd, good luck with your acceptance to USC!

On UCLA, last time I checked with them, they said that they would probably let us know some time in early March.

But after I read the keepswimming post, I started thinking that maybe they started notifying the successful candidates earlier...

Awesome. Yeah I just sold super old snowboarding gear (boots, board & bindings) on Craigslist earlier this week. Now getting ready to sell more stuff that has just been sitting in storage. Spring cleaning = selling all my crap. =P

See, now THAT'S brilliant. Time to unload and sell and donate all my unused crap cuz I'm going to move to a different city for a doctoral program... (must... keep... thinking... positive... thoughts. ><'')

I am totally freaking, at least I am occupying my time with working twice as hard, and working out. Well thats a lie I occpuy my time with checking my email millions of times a day, then doing the rest.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much. If you know which specific professors you want to work with, you may want to try emailing them--don't ask about your application status, just say hi. That's what I've done so far, and I've gotten friendly responses back. I know UT Austin will have results by mid-February and U Washington probably won't get theirs done until March. So, don't worry too much if you haven't been contacted yet.

so I took you up on that advice and emailed a specific professor with a brief update of my current research project and "just to say hi"

and I got a short & sweet reply about how they hope to have decisions soon...

oddly enough, i feel much better now =D

Anyone know who just got the acceptance to Penn's Education, Culture, and Society program? My application just went for review to the same program and I'm still waiting for news. :(

I received the acceptance from Penn's MA in ECS. I submitted my application on Dec 29th. The program sent me an email on Jan 24th, and the school sent me the official letter the next day. I hope this info helps.

wannabephd, I got into HEOC so I know that for my division, they've started notifying already. I received a phone call from my advisor and haven't received the official packet yet. Hope that helps and good luck!

Haha, my high schoolers have the same logic. But I love how it gives us something to talk about besides just class content: promotes literacy AND relationship building. Well whaddya know <3. It's like a race to finish the book first (they don't know it, but I've read it just about 3x now, but they're like, haha! I'm beating you!!! :D)

I also love how it helps me build a different type of relationship with my students. Several youth are reading this novel and it is pretty AMAZING to have talks about literature. The literary nerd in me loves that to pieces!!!

I have all three Hunger Games books waiting on my bookshelf. I'm teaching middle school this year, too. Sixth grade.

This is cool! I teach 6th and 7th grade this year. It's lovely!

I am totally freaking, at least I am occupying my time with working twice as hard, and working out. Well thats a lie I occpuy my time with checking my email millions of times a day, then doing the rest.

I started getting depressed with a constant empty inbox (usually I feel like I never have enough time to check and respond to all my emails, but lately, it's been so strangely... empty), so I've taken upon myself to suscribe to all GradCafe Education forum updates. Now I know exactly when someone posts on this feed and it goes straight to my e-mail. I've had 20+ emails today alone. Hooray? Hah... hah... hah... this is so depressing. I'm just waiting for February to roll around so decisions can start coming in lol.

I received the acceptance from Penn's MA in ECS. I submitted my application on Dec 29th. The program sent me an email on Jan 24th, and the school sent me the official letter the next day. I hope this info helps.

So glad to find you! Do you remember when you received the email that your app went for review? I got mine last Friday. The website says they give decisions within 4 weeks, but it seems like it's much sooner than that.

I do the same thing! I occupy my time with checking my email millions of times a day, then I rest.

Well, almost the same thing. lol

Edited by FutureEdStudent12

I never got that email. I received an email on Jan 5 th stating my application would not be reviewed because they had yet to receive my transcripts ( I sent them out late Dec.) I did not hear anything back until the acceptance.

So glad to find you! Do you remember when you received the email that your app went for review? I got mine last Friday. The website says they give decisions within 4 weeks, but it seems like it's much sooner than that.

Edited by jcarson88

I started getting depressed with a constant empty inbox (usually I feel like I never have enough time to check and respond to all my emails, but lately, it's been so strangely... empty), so I've taken upon myself to suscribe to all GradCafe Education forum updates. Now I know exactly when someone posts on this feed and it goes straight to my e-mail. I've had 20+ emails today alone. Hooray? Hah... hah... hah... this is so depressing. I'm just waiting for February to roll around so decisions can start coming in lol.

My sentiments exactly. Except I've forced myself not to subscribe to gradcafe updates ;) But yes, February is really taking it's time! I just want to know and be done with it!

so I took you up on that advice and emailed a specific professor with a brief update of my current research project and "just to say hi"

and I got a short & sweet reply about how they hope to have decisions soon...

oddly enough, i feel much better now =D

I'm glad! :)