Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

Hi all - I'm curious if the PhD applicants have received any meaningful communication from professors at the big schools (apart from USC who I know get their decisions out early) - HGSE, Stanford, Penn? Or can any current EdD/PhD students weigh in on whether this is a typical practice during the app process?

I'm a new user, but I've been reading these posts for awhile and find everyone's experiences super helpful... so thank you!

i've come to think of january through march as a bell curve... it's still a bit early.

as far as interviews, none of my programs include interviews as part of the admission process. so i made sure to interview/"have a nice long chat" with potential advisers (one via telephone, the other in-person) before i turned in my applications. one said she'd love to work with me and that i should definitely be hearing from her in January (this was back in November). the other potential adviser was already suggesting projects he wants me to work on.. so i dunno, we'll see.

at this point if they call yo uand want an "interview" it's probably because they want to see if 1. you're legit, 2. you're a good match with the department's (or their own) research.

God we are still in the early stages, litjust and hitomimay are not representative. For most of us, especially the three of us in policy, if we hear by the end of Jan we should be so lucky. Even if it is USC. So for CACA and EDPOLNYC what are your schools and stats, Im curious. Im a policy nerd and if memory serves me right there arent that many of us in here.

Hi all - I'm curious if the PhD applicants have received any meaningful communication from professors at the big schools (apart from USC who I know get their decisions out early) - HGSE, Stanford, Penn? Or can any current EdD/PhD students weigh in on whether this is a typical practice during the app process?

I'm a new user, but I've been reading these posts for awhile and find everyone's experiences super helpful... so thank you!

Congrats (litjust and hitomimay)!!! That is super exciting. The waiting game is way harder than I thought so I can only imagine how it feels to know something!.....

I definitely wouldn't be nervous if you haven't received any communication from schools. Some schools are still on break and the professors/admissions committees haven't even met yet. According the the Inside Penn GSE blog, they will be sending out invites for their interview weekend in two weeks. Hope this helps!

Congrats (litjust and hitomimay)!!! That is super exciting. The waiting game is way harder than I thought so I can only imagine how it feels to know something!.....

I definitely wouldn't be nervous if you haven't received any communication from schools. Some schools are still on break and the professors/admissions committees haven't even met yet. According the the Inside Penn GSE blog, they will be sending out invites for their interview weekend in two weeks. Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for the congrats. It felt amazing to hear something initially, but now I realize the nervousness and waiting game isn't over til we get the results, good or bad. Interview is in about 12 hours, yet I can tell you I've been sweating bullets and churning stomachs since the email. Gaaaaah. Just want it over with... ><''

Good luck, hitomimay!!

Congrats, litjust!!!

I'm so excited that people are starting to hear news from schools!

It's going to be two months of anxiety for me....Can't wait until March!!

Thanks and good luck to everyone!! I hope people will continue posting updates here so we can congratulate one another, etc.

God we are still in the early stages, litjust and hitomimay are not representative. For most of us, especially the three of us in policy, if we hear by the end of Jan we should be so lucky. Even if it is USC. So for CACA and EDPOLNYC what are your schools and stats, Im curious. Im a policy nerd and if memory serves me right there arent that many of us in here.

Plus, I agree with dm242 - it is early and I don't expect to hear anything from other schools until February or March. I know Madison is not reviewing until next week or the week after. I have no idea when Berkeley will start, but assume it's around the same time. It would be great if we all found out, either way, sooner than later so we can start thinking about relocation (if that's a factor - for me it is). Hitomimay, I hope your interview went well!

Edited by litjust

Alright, I need someone's input and viewpoint here.

So the interview went alright, the professor's current PhD students conducted the interview. They said that they were talking to a few other students, and nothing in the conversation makes me think they love or hate me. They ended the conversation with "his secretary will be in touch with you in a few days".

What's your take? I don't want to get hopeful and crushed later, but what on earth can she possibly say? ><'' Gaaaah, sometimes hearing from schools makes me feel like I'm being baited like fish lol.

When I applied last year, I started to get interviews at the end of January and then I heard decisions in February so there is definitely plenty of time. I know the waiting at the time was terrible though.

The good news is hopefully in a couple days, they will offer you a decision, hitomimay. Or at least some information that you made it to the next round or something. I remember I had to wait a week between my interview with my dream school and the ultimate decision last year. It was really hard, but I was glad that at least I had a deadline.

Congrats to litjust and hitomimay! Hitomimay, it's so wonderful that you've had the opportunity to interview this early, and that can never be a negative thing.

So you're saying that you interviewed on a conference call? How intense! Good luck with the wait and best wishes for great news.

Alright, I need someone's input and viewpoint here.

So the interview went alright, the professor's current PhD students conducted the interview. They said that they were talking to a few other students, and nothing in the conversation makes me think they love or hate me. They ended the conversation with "his secretary will be in touch with you in a few days".

What's your take? I don't want to get hopeful and crushed later, but what on earth can she possibly say? ><'' Gaaaah, sometimes hearing from schools makes me feel like I'm being baited like fish lol.

I almost feel like it's their job to seem as vague as possible concerning whether or not they're interested so I wouldn't read too much into it! As stated, the fact that they are interviewing you has to be positive so I'd try to just wait the few days as calmly as possible. As I type this, I realize how difficult that will be, but it's worth a try. At this point, your chances of admission are very high. You're on the short list! Good luck!

I almost feel like it's their job to seem as vague as possible concerning whether or not they're interested so I wouldn't read too much into it! As stated, the fact that they are interviewing you has to be positive so I'd try to just wait the few days as calmly as possible. As I type this, I realize how difficult that will be, but it's worth a try. At this point, your chances of admission are very high. You're on the short list! Good luck!

I agree and think the students have to remain neutral. Since they said you would hear from someone in a few days, that sounds like a good sign!! I hope you're keeping busy over the weekend until you hear back. Good luck :D

Interview with USC went well. The professor was very friendly and the interview felt more like a recruitment event than an interrogation. I came away very impressed with her and her research. The first half of the discussion was her explaining about the PhD program and her research. She didn't give a timeline but said I'd be hearing from them soon...thanks for the well wishes and best of luck to you all!

Interview with USC went well. The professor was very friendly and the interview felt more like a recruitment event than an interrogation. I came away very impressed with her and her research. The first half of the discussion was her explaining about the PhD program and her research. She didn't give a timeline but said I'd be hearing from them soon...thanks for the well wishes and best of luck to you all!

Congrats! I'm glad to hear that you felt good about your conversation and I'm excited for you :)

That's awesome! :) I'm really kicked for everyone hearing from schools! None of the programs I've applied to have an interview component, so I guess I'm going to have to wait till March.

Litjust, congratulations on your MSU admit! You must be very excited!

That's awesome! :) I'm really kicked for everyone hearing from schools! None of the programs I've applied to have an interview component, so I guess I'm going to have to wait till March.

Litjust, congratulations on your MSU admit! You must be very excited!

You'd be surprised! USC didn't have an interview component publicized either, but here we are! According to GradCafe Results Search, Harvard starting sending out admission notices mid/late Feb last year, so might be sooner than we think! :D